Author Topic: George Horatio Weeks 1844 -1903 and family  (Read 7329 times)

Offline bickers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Horatio Weeks 1844 -1903 and family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 15:23 BST (UK) »
More info on Norman Bickerdike Weeks.

Offline yondover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
I I understand the son Basil Victor Courtenay weeks born Kent 1897 served as a captain in France in 1917 in the RMLI and received the military cross. His father Revd Dr. george Edward Weeks was the Dean at Nelson Cathedral in 1915 left 1922 coming from Lowestoft.

Offline yondover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
Finally found the letter which is why I came along looking for info on the Weeks family.

The Deanery, Nelson, New Zealand.     August 16th 1917

My dear Violet
It was a very real pleasure to get your long 'newsy' letter of 28th March. I forget just when it came to hand, but it had taken a long time on its journey, and I was just leaving home  - hence delay in reply.
I was starting on some very interesting work - holding special services for students at our four university Colleges - Auckland - Wellington - Christchurch  and Dunedin. I have just returned,much encouraged on the whole. University life  - indeed all life here is very different from all one knew at home. Class distinctions are practically non-existent and students and professors, officers and men, employers and servants fraternise in a way that seems strange to our more conservative ideas in the old country.
We came out too late in life to take to it quite kindly. Mrs Weeks especially finds it difficult to adjust herself to the strange conditions. It is almost impossible to get any domestic help! We have been fortunate enough to secure a widow woman who is quite capable and does all that 'helps' here are willing to undertake. We have to give 25/- a week (indoors) and so cannot possibly have more than one.
Thought is very free, and people do not hesitate to criticise and pass judgment upon anybody and everybody from the Governor downwards. It is encouraged in the schools: no religious teaching is given, and the new generation is almost heathen. The whole system of education is based upon the one principle of fitting scholars to make money as early as possible in every possible way. I fear grave difficulties await us in the very near future - we are breeding materialists pure and simple.
My work at the Cathedral is extremely happy. I am now Dean, and we are contemplating building a new Cathedral Church as a Memorial to our N.Z. boys who have fallen. We have two Colleges here - one for Boys and one for Girls, and the boarders come to us twice every Sunday. I do love to have them in church: they are keen listeners and preparing for them keeps me fresh.
We have a gorgeous climate here (normally) but this year and last have been abnormally wet and stormy. Just now (our winter) we are getting keen nights and early mornings. With days of brilliant sunshine and skies of cloudless blue. I think we are all the better for coming here - Mrs Weeks is - Eric certainly is; he has quite overcome the bronchitis which compelled us to leave Kensington. Eileen is growing a great girl - almost at the top of the College here, and going in for her matric, this year. Basil is in Francd - now a Captain R.M.L.I. Did you hear he won the Military Cross? My Bishop as asked last week if he could recommend me for a vacant Bishop nie, but he felt with me that I ought to put in a little more time here. He says it will come!
I don't know when this will reach you. We are not allowed to know anything what-ever of the sailing of vessels, and our letters take (sometimes) 3 months to get home!
We all send you and yours our very best wishes. Shall I say for Xmas? This may reach you by then!
Believe me to be
Always  yours very fully
G.E. Weeks

Rev Weeks died 1941 age 73, wife who he married 1894 Bromley Marian Frances Sophia nee Simmons.
First child Reginald George William born 16 April 1896 baptised 3'May 1896 died 1898 Wandsworth buried 15 February 1898.
Second child Basil Courtney Victor born 21 May 1897 baptised 10 July 1897  died 7 July 1979 buried Lilydale Cemetery, Victoria. Married Xina Joy Morford -
One child born 1927, another,child born 1931.
Third child Eileen Marian Natalie who died 4 Nov 1984 Exmouth married Kenneth Morford a tea planter, brother of Xina Joy Morford. Kenneth died 1974 Surrey.
Fourth child Eric George Hilton 'Peter' Weeks born 8 July 19044 died 10 April 1939 age 34 married 1933 Mary P Wilson. Peter buried West Buckland, Somerset.

The family regularly travelled abroad, lots of information on Ancestry.

Offline hweeks

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 May 21 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm looking for information on ancestors of Basil Weeks - he is my great-grandfather.
I'd like to know more about their lives, occupations etc.
The letter from his father George on this post is most interesting.
I have a lot of information about Basil, be glad to make contact with anyone that has information about his ancestors.