Author Topic: Looking for henry marsh in chichester  (Read 11146 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for henry marsh in chichester
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 11 May 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
The only definite thing we can say is Joseph Henry Marsh born c1853 cannot even have been an illegitimate son of John Henry Marsh solicitor of Chichester because said solicitor died in 1833. There is no other solicitor called Henry Marsh showing in Chichester that I can see, certainly none showing on censuses.

So as you say Roy where to now?

John Henry Pakenham Marsh would I think be worth further investigation - we do know he moved around and that he was in Portsmouth in the 1860's and Brighton in 1871 so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he could have fathered a child who was born or brought up in Chichester or nearby c1853.

What we know about Joseph is only what is on his Marriage certificate when he appears age c 30 in 1883 and on censuses from then on. The witnesses don't seem obviously helpful as Arthur Parker is presumably a relative of Emma's. Martha Barnes would be worth further investigation as would checking Emma Parker and family in 1881 and checking the whole of Orchard St in 1881 in case there is a likely Joseph.

Jan ;)

Snap avm

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 11 May 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
Emma Parker and family are in West End in 1881 and her father is a labourer so all is as it should be. The only Martha Barnes is an 18 yr old Servant to GP in North Pallant, so if she is the witness she is probably just a friend. Orchard St in 1881 houses no Joseph/Henrys of suitable age.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 11 May 13 13:41 BST (UK) »
I've also done the "whole of Orchard Street in 1881" exercise & didn't spot anyone likely.

In case anyone else wants a go, I'll give the references:

Orchard Street, Chichester St Bartholomew starts at RG11/1128/5/1.

Orchard Street, Chichester St Paul starts at RG11/1128/119/32.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline eddie marsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 13 May 13 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just caught up with all your hard work, thanks, it seems I have stirred up some interest in this mystery. I must admit that the marsh side of my family history has always been the most difficult to trace. As I said, I am relatively new to this and take my hat off to your obvious experience and enthusiasm in this subject. All I can do is hope you will persevere further and find some more clues.
One of the surprises I received while researching my family history two years ago was the discovery that I had 3 half sisters and two half brothers from my Mothers previous marriage that I new nothing about! She kept it a secret all her life, (she died in 1986 and as far as I know shared it with no one). So who knows what other skeletons there are?

Offline eddie marsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Well its been a while! After giving up on my ancestry for a while I've decided to have a fresh look and see if anything new has been unearthed.  Its been over 4 years, but are you guys still out there? Do you fancy another go at finding the elusive Henry Marsh?

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 16:08 GMT (UK) »

Yes still here Eddie and having refreshed my memory I am having another look :D

Jan

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline eddie marsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,
I hope you are keeping well and thanks for your kind offer to help.
I've been going over this string and like the look of the following theory-

Extracts-
John Henry Marsh was baptised All Saints 8 April 1804 parents John and Sophia

a John Henry Marsh, son of John Marsh of Chichester entering into articles of clerkship (i.e. training as a solicitor) under James Bennett Freeland of Chichester, 31 May 1821.

It looks from the 1833 death duty register (though faint and barely decipherable) as though John Henry Marsh died intestate, his administratrix being Mary Marsh (perhaps she was his widow?).

Preston Chronicle, 5 November 1832
On 24 ult., at St Michael's, Toxteth Park, John Henry Marsh, Esq, of Chichester, to Mary, eldest daughter of Wm Hurry, Esq., of Toxteth-park.

A son, John Henry Pakenham Marsh, was baptised in 1834 after his father's death:

Conclusion-
Could Joseph have been a second son to Mary and a new aquantance, (possibly Mr Pakenham?) although Mary would be getting on by 1853.

Could Joseph have been JHPM's son?

Maybe Joseph went by the name Joseph Pakenham in his early years? Or Joseph Hurry?

1883 Joseph returns to Chichester to marry Emma in St Peter the GT church which Emma was also christened in.

Regards Eddie

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
An illegitimate son/son from a second marriage of Mary Marsh is worth exploring - although as you say her age may rule this out.

There are no suitable Joseph Hurry or Pakenham that I can see.

I would say a illegitimate son of John Henry Pakenham Marsh is certainly a possibility and worth looking into.

Meanwhile I have found a Joseph Marsh baptised 5 Nov 1854 Beauworth Hampshire son of William and Elizabeth. He appears in Beauworth with parents in 1861, is a farm servant in Beauworth in 1871. Interestingly he then appears  in Westbourne, Sussex in 1881 - Westbourne is only a few miles from Chichester. I cannot find this Joseph after 1881 so he is worth considering as yours. However someone with more eagle eyes may well locate him and rule him out!

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Lancastrian girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 20 July 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Eddie, I am new to this game and I would like to say I have the answers but not so. You seem to have followed the same research as myself. I am a direct descendent of Henry Marsh Born 1885  who lived in Chichester all his life except for being in the 1914 war. We knew Joe, his brother, well who also lived in Chichester. Both boys went to The Oliver Whitby school a charity school for bright poor boys. If you follow the male line directly you may be the grandson of Albert Marsh. I have his birth certificate which I found in my grandfathers belonging. I have a photograph of their father Joseph. I also have 2 original notes, as yet I cannot decipher them, they are signed by a Mary Marsh 1812. First question when was she born, which line did she belong to, for us to have possession of them, it must presumably be quite near. She was obviously educated, being able to read and write, unless somebody scribed for her. Sadly the name Mary was fairly popular. I hope to get these deciphered soon, it could be a clue even if it is a long shot. Having just read through all the exciting theories from everyone, I don't know whether I am thrilled or thinking is there a right solution ? I was suddenly excited by the name Mary being mentioned perhaps my little notes may reveal something!!! Hope you find this interesting. Regards Lancastrian girl