Author Topic: John Wylie and Rachel Bryans  (Read 4733 times)

Offline ChrissieR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Wylie and Rachel Bryans
« on: Friday 03 May 13 21:27 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for help in tracing the families of John Wylie and Rachel Bryans married in Magherafelt on 12 Aug 1853.  He is listed as the son of Robert Wylie (various spellings) and Janet Douglas of Ballynenagh born in 1829, and is the twin of Margaret and she is the daughter of George Bryans and Elizabeth McKnight of Coolshinney born in 1835.
They left Ireland in the 1880s with their children and settled in Glasgow where both died.  I can find them and their descendants in Scotland from 1885 onwards.
Children all born in Moneymore are George b 1858, Elizabeth 1863, Margaret Jane 1867, William McKnight 1872 Rose Ann 1876 and Hugh Douglas 1877.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Wylie and Rachel Bryans
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 May 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
Children all born in Moneymore are George b 1858, Elizabeth 1863, Margaret Jane 1867, William McKnight 1872 Rose Ann 1876 and Hugh Douglas 1877.
Also:
unnamed son born 18 Apr.1865 Moneymore district (page 866 in civil register)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F59R-1F8

James born 6 May 1870 Moneymore district
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5FP-Y5L
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ChrissieR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 May 13 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you  :)  I've now found James' wife and 8 children in the Scottish records!  That solves another puzzle.  My father is William McKnight Wylie b 1924  in Glasgow and I found 4 others , 2 of whom are his uncle b 1907  and cousin b 1934.  Now that I've found James it appears that one of his sons is the other b 1906 and the fourth is probably his illegitmate son b and d 1927.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 May 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
William is registered as William Willey- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5XW-2P8

Hugh listed as Hugh Duglass Wyley- and birthplace listed as Dunarnon rather than the registration district of Moneymore like the extracted births for his siblings-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGVF-17X

Roseanna born 1874 not 1876- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPMB-MJY

Offline ChrissieR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 May 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
Again my thanks :)  Can you tell I'm new to this?  Ive been told that the Wylie family ( various spellings)  originated in the Strathclyde area and left there for Ireland in the  1700s.  I would love to go back to find out if my ancestors left Scotland for Ireland only to return. 
Do you think it would be easier to research by visiting the Magherafelt / Ballymena area (something I plan to do anyway) or is it possible to do online?
Again thank you for the assistance.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 May 13 10:04 BST (UK) »
Much of the information you will find for Moneymore area is now online (1901 and 1911 census, Griffith's Valuation & revision books, civil registration index, etc.). Possibly the only thing to find in Moneymore area would be the church records (in local custody but these might be available on microfilm in PRONI) but of course there might be headstones in graveyard, etc. to photograph.

I don't think the family's religion has been mentioned- this will be needed to see what church records survive and where they might be available. Also, you keep mentioning Moneymore- do you know that they actually lived in Moneymore itself or are you assuming that the registration district is the same as the village? The birth for Hugh Duglass Wyley (posted previously) indicates that they probably didn't live in Moneymore.

Would be worth checking the Valuation revision books (online at www.proni.gov.uk) once you have a townland.

Offline abunile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 May 13 00:57 BST (UK) »
I think I can help you a little, my great,great grandmother was Sarah Wylie, father Robert and mother Jane Douglas (I see you have Janet)  She was born circa 1835, she married William James Bell in Saltersland Presbyterian Church 26 September 1856. Her age was given as "Full" and her residence was Ballynenagh. Her father Robert was a weaver. William Bell her husband was living in Killyfaddy and was a weaver as was his father John Bell. (seems like a whole lot of weaving going on!!! :)) William has signed the certificate and Sarah has left her mark.
Sarah and William Bell had the following children that I know of.
    Bessie Bell. b 22 March 1860 Magherafelt. d 14 February 1925 York Ontario Canada.
    William John Bell b 9 March 1865 Moneymore. d 18 July 1927 Glasgow Scotland.
    Thomas Taylor Bell b 21 August 1867 Magherafelt. d 18 April Hamilton Scotland.
    Sarah Bell b 25 November 1869 Magherafelt. d 25 January 1937 Greenock Scotland.
    Jane Bell b 28 November 1870 Magherafelt. d 1912 not sure where but in Londonderry
    and finally and unknown male Bell. b 23 November 1873.

Two of Sarah's sons William John and Thomas Taylor are shown to be in Glasgow on the 1891 and 1901 census records.

Sarah Wylie's husband I believe could have died in 1874 as there is a death record for a William James Bell's death in Magherafelt that year, but as there were many Bells in that area I can't be certain. He was listed variously as clerk, bailiff and weaver on his children's birth certificates.

I can't help with much else I'm afraid to do with your main interest Sarah Wylie

Oh By the way  there is a Robert Wyley living in house 10e Ballynenagh in Griffiths valuation and a John Wyley living  next door at 10d.

It's mostly about the Bell family who are in my direct line, but I hope it is still of some help in your researches.

Abunile.

Offline ChrissieR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 May 13 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you to both.  You have given me some more sources to mine and I really appreciate both the information and the pointers to help search Irish records.  If you need anything researched on my side of the water I'll be happy to help.

Abunile - my information for Jane / Janet Douglas is taken from John's death record in Anderston Glasgow 13 July 1888.  On closer inspection the name could be Jane as the handwriting is 19th century ornate!  It gives Robert Wylie as a farmer and both parents are listed as deceased.  Its interesting to see the Glasgow /Greenock connection as my own grandfather - John's grandson, also named John, was  born in Greenock in 1898. Maybe the census will reveal some Bells in the vicinity.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 May 13 14:44 BST (UK) »
Jane is the more common form of the name in Ireland whilst in Scotland Janet is often used so I wouldn't worry about variation in her name.