Author Topic: Looking for Nancy and Isobel McFadden dance instructors for Fred Astaire  (Read 7834 times)

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nancy and Isobel were born probably in the late 1920s in Falkirk, Scotland, parents John Joseph McFadden and Agatha(Aggie) Paterson.They emigrated to Canada and became dance instructors at one, don't know which, of Fred Astaire's dance schools. It's possible they may have been in the Medicine Hat or Vancouver areas as relatives lived there.
It would be good to know what happened to them, whether they married and had children and when they died.
Their father was my grandfather's brother.
Any help appreciated

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Nancy and Isobel McFadden dance instructors for Fred Astaire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 May 13 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi:

Do you already know that they died? If they were born in the late 1920's they could still be alive.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 May 13 18:21 BST (UK) »
In 1947, Fred Astaire and Charles Casanave Jr opened the first studio on New York City's Park Avenue. The first Fred Astaire Dance studio in Canada opened in 1975 in London, Ontario. There are currently 5 studios all in Ontario with the Fred Astaire Corporate Head Office in London, Ontario. That would probably be a good place to start. Contacting the head office may be the only way to try to track down these sisters. Canada has very strict privacy laws. You may find something in the newspapers regarding them but you would definitely need a starting point. Knowing their year of birth and probable dates of immigration would be helpful.

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 May 13 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valeraic and Sami I shouldn't assume they're dead and I'll contact Ontario. Cheers

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 May 13 04:00 BST (UK) »
Was Nancy a nickname? I don't see a birth for a Nancy McFadden in Falkirk. There is an Agnes Paterson McFadden in 1927 and an Isobel in 1930 however.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 May 13 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can find an entry for a Miss I. McFadden, age 19, aboard the S.S. Manchester City which departed Manchester on June 16, 1949 bound for Montreal, Quebec.  Her occupation was Saleswoman and her last address in the UK was 12 Davids Loan, Falkirk, Scotland.

There is an entry for a Miss Agnes McFadden, age 22, aboard the Aquitania which departed Southhampton on August 3, 1949 bound for Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Her occupation was Saleslady and her last address in the UK was 12 Davids Loan, Bainsford, Falkirk.

Susan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 May 13 04:59 BST (UK) »
There is an Isobel McFadden who was on the Queen Elizabeth which departed from New York and arrived in Southampton on 23 Aug 1954. She was 25 and a waitress. Her last permanent residence was listed as Canada. Her UK address was 318 Thronhill Rd, Falkirk. She indicated her future permanent residence would be "other parts of the British Empire".

It appears that she flew back to Canada arriving on 4 Oct 1954.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 May 13 05:23 BST (UK) »
The Canadian Voters List database at Ancestry has Isobel and Agnes McFadden living on Shaftsbury Avenue in the Electoral District of Rosedale in Toronto, Ontario in 1953.

In 1958, in the Electoral District of Trinity in Toronto, Isobel and Agnes are living on Shaw Street. Agnes is listed as a waitress and Isobel as a dance instructress.

Jacquie

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 May 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie, thank you for replying that info is really useful.'It's possible Nancy was a nickname as her mother was Agnes, I'm finding this a common habit in my family !I'll look for the certificates on my next visit to the Edinburgh Register Office.