Author Topic: Tracing family in Pembrokeshire -- 18th and 19th centuries  (Read 8176 times)

Offline sgt64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing family in Pembrokeshire -- 18th and 19th centuries
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I have 2 children for William and Beatrice - Greta (1908) and Rosetta (1912). 

Offline rowley3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 February 15 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I was told that William & Beatrice had 3 children: "Helena Margareta", Norman Harries  and John, but was given no birthdates for them. 1911 census has W.H.John & Beatrice in Solva with 3 yr. old "Greta". Birth records have Helen Margaretta John b. 1907 Q3, Rosetta John, Q1 1912 and Norman H. John (Q2 1918), the latter 2 showing mother's m.n. as Harries. I can't locate Beatrice or her siblings in earlier censuses.

Offline sgt64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 February 15 08:35 GMT (UK) »
I have been away for a couple of weeks and so need to re-acquaint myself with the backgrounds and to dig up what other information I may have.  You can reach me at stephen_g_taylor@msn.com as this might be easier - please let me know if you are happy to do this.
Stephen

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 February 15 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked welshnewspapers on line?   http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

The search key "w h john" (include the "   " - important) produces a number of results (the set only goes up to 1919). I have also checked out search keys solva, fort solva, solfach"

Vision of Britain   www.visionofbritain.org.uk    has an 1819 map of the area which appears to show a building/dwelling, unnamed, where the cottages are currently located - but doesn't have the detail you require.

Offline Chris_9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 14:19 BST (UK) »
William Henry John was my great uncle.  How can I help you?
Hello,
Sorry about the long gap. Illness intervened.
I've returned to expanding family history.  I have quite a long Progress Report on this and two associated line of relatives.  I am trying to tie them together.
William Henry JOHN married Beatrice Elizabeth Ann HARRIES (b. 21 III 1880, Grangetown, Cardiff) in 1 XI 1906 (Solva).
Her father was already dead.   He was a sea Captain and died during the 1890s.   I'm not sure when but do have a candidate.   Captain William HARRIES married Margaretta (on Beatrice's Marriage certificate) DAVIES (Solva).   She seems to have been normally known as Margaret.   He was born in Trevine (Trefin), Llanrain (Llanrhian) Parish. 
I'm looking to make a more solid history involving HARRIES, DAVIES, WILLIAMS.
There are a lot of uncertainies about the maritime histories of these people.

If you wish, it might be better to exchange e-mails.

Offline Chris_9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 14:21 BST (UK) »
W.H. John of the Guardian newspaper in Solva married Beatrice Harries who is a first cousin twice removed of mine. I'm trying to trace descendants of the couple - among other things!
Sorry about the long gap. Illness intervened.
I've returned to expanding family history.  I have quite a long Progress Report on this and two associated line of relatives.  I am trying to tie them together.
William Henry JOHN married Beatrice Elizabeth Ann HARRIES (b. 21 III 1880, Grangetown, Cardiff) in 1 XI 1906 (Solva).
Her father was already dead.   He was a sea Captain and died during the 1890s.   I'm not sure when but do have a candidate.   Captain William HARRIES married Margaretta (on Beatrice's Marriage certificate) DAVIES (Solva).   She seems to have been normally known as Margaret.   He was born in Trevine (Trefin), Llanrain (Llanrhian) Parish.
I'm looking to make a more solid history involving HARRIES, DAVIES, WILLIAMS.
There are a lot of uncertainies about the maritime histories of these people.

If you wish, it might be better to exchange e-mails

Offline Chris_9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 14:33 BST (UK) »
I was told that William & Beatrice had 3 children: "Helena Margareta", Norman Harries  and John, but was given no birthdates for them. 1911 census has W.H.John & Beatrice in Solva with 3 yr. old "Greta". Birth records have Helen Margaretta John b. 1907 Q3, Rosetta John, Q1 1912 and Norman H. John (Q2 1918), the latter 2 showing mother's m.n. as Harries. I can't locate Beatrice or her siblings in earlier censuses.
See other posts about my delay.

Censuses:
1901:   Beatrice is in Barry.
1891:   The whole family is in St Woollos, Newport
1881:   The family is in St Woollos and William is on a ship in Newport
1871 and earlier is difficult.
I have various Master & Mate Certificates, although there are 2 Captain William HARRIES which rather confuses things.   One was born in Solva and died at sea in 1878.   The other was born in Trevine (Trefin), despite Solva being mentioned in various documents.

I'd really need to make a PDF file of information available to you so you got the bigger picture.

Hope this helps.

Offline rowley3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information.I have Margaret(ta) on 1881 census with her 2 children, mother Ann and brother John in Newport, with Margaret recorded as the wife of a Master Mariner. I, too have details of the tickets showing William's progression to Master. He died in Middlesbrough "found dead in the River Tees" according to death cert.1896. Probate granted to widow Margaretta. I'll have a look at the St, Woollos family.