Author Topic: Charles Pestell Harris married Sophia Elizabeth Sumpter 21 Jan 1830 in Wingfield  (Read 4488 times)

Offline ragt39

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I believe you meant his father was William Harris (not Haywood) of Great Haywood, Staffs. - I'm sure this is my man as following his marriage to Sophia they named one of their sons Ellis Shipley Harris (Ch. 12 Aug 1841, Cambridge). Where can I find these articles of clerkship?  Many thanks for your info so far.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sorry - yes, Harris, not Haywood, of course. I'll amend it.

If you have a subscription to Ancestry (or take out a free trial membership) you'll find the articles of clerkship and probate index details there.

For various local newspaper references to Charles including the litigation see www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk (you'll also find lots of references there to Ellis Pestell, also a solicitor).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline ragt39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Pestell Harris married Sophia Elizabeth Sumpter 21 Jan 1830 in Wingfield
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 13:33 BST (UK) »
Many, many thanks AVM228 for all your info - it has helped me find the baptism of said Charles Pestell Harris - he was baptised 9 Apr 1794 in Netherseal, Leics (Just a stone's throw from Ashby-de-la-Zouch) and he was the son of William Harris & Susannah Pestell, who were married 12 Jun 1792 in Wolverhampton, Staffs. (all found on www.familysearch.org)
I also located the articles of clerkship but I didn't find his probate record - can I ask you where exactly you saw the reference to a residue estate of £ 30,000?   

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Pestell Harris married Sophia Elizabeth Sumpter 21 Jan 1830 in Wingfield
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 15:11 BST (UK) »
Great stuff :)

If you have access to Ancestry (presume you do, if you found the articles of clerkship?) then you'll find summary details of CPH's estate in the National Probate Calendar. Enter his name and select category "Tax, Criminal, Land & Wills". You should see an 1871 re-grant of probate referable to his 1849 death and a note that the former grant was made in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury March 1849.

Shout if you have any difficulties.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
You can download the will itself for a small fee from the National Archives's PCC collection:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D129855

Offline Old Cheese

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 06:35 BST (UK) »
Charles pestell lHarris was my great great grandfather and I have history of the men that came out to New Zealand but would like to know more about this side of the family. I have a photo of the family crest and would like to find where that came from. Also am interested in the connection with wing field castle through the sumpters.Can you help with this