Author Topic: Baldock family  (Read 8254 times)

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baldock family
« on: Monday 06 May 13 07:33 BST (UK) »
I am trying to establish the Baldock family mostly of Wadhurst/Rotherfield area - I am researching the family tree of my daughter's partner. I have read the closed postings on this family which helped to sort the family out up to this point.

The earliest established ancestor I have found is Thomas Baldock (1705-1772) married Ann Frie/Fry son of Thomas Baldock (1673 - 1736) and Elizabeth Loofe.

It seems that Thomas was possibly the son of Thomas Baldock and Alice Manser, but there are trees on Family trees on Ancestry.co.uk which suggest that Thomas Baldock was the son of John Baldock (1623-1677) and Mary Longley (1630-1716) and that he had 2 wives (Neither of which is Alice!) -

1. Susan Manser who died in 1719 - married 21 Apr 1670 Wadhurst

Children

William Manser, 1665 –
Elizabeth Baldock, Balduck 1671 –
Thomas Baldock 1673 – 1736
Mary Baldock, Balduck 1673 –
John Baldock, Balduck 1680 –
Susanna Baldock, Balduck 1683 – 1709
2. Elizabeth Gilbert born 1665 - married 1686 aged 33

Sarah Baldock 1687 –
William Baldock 1688 –
Thomas Baldock 1691 – 1747
Mary Baldock 1699 –

I have also in my notes the following tree

Richard Baldock b. 1549, Little Chard, Kent, England & NN

Nicholas Baldock b. 1562, Minster, Kent, England & Agnes Allen b. 1566, Minster, Kent, England

Richard Baldock b. 1590, Charing, Kent, England & Dorothy Steede b. 1592, Sevenoaks, Kent, England d. 9 Jan 1649, Charing, Kent, England

John Baldock b. 1623, Wadhurst, East Sussex, England d. 1677, Wadhurst, East Sussex, England

Thomas Baldock b. 1673 d. 1736, Wadhurst, East Sussex, England & Elizabeth Loofe b. 1673, Ticehurst, East Sussex, England d. 1718, Rotherfield, East Sussex, England m. 1702, Ticehurst

Can anyone help me get the correct tree here?
Ball(s) Barnes Bekker Bennett Buchanan Campher deKlerk deVilliers Dickenson Dunkley Edwards  Greenlees Helps Jones King Knoesen Marais McPherson Neat Nel Oosthuizen Peart Richter Scott Smit Smith Turner van-Rensburg Wallworth Webber Wells Worroll

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baldock family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 13 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

SFHG has the following

Thomas Baldock Baptised 02 Jan 1704/1705 St Peter & St Paul Wadhurst: Parents Thomas and Elizabeth. (Transcribed as Balduck)
Thomas Baldock (Rotherfield) married Ann Frie (Mayfield) by Licence 28 Oct 1727 Withyham.

Thomas Baldock (Wadhurst) married Elizabeth Loofe (otp) by Banns 5 May 1702 Ticehurst.

There are then two possible baptisms for Thomas Baldock around 1673 in Wadhurst
Thomas Baldock baptised 18 Mar 1676/1677 to Thomas & Susan
Thomas Baldock baptised 1 Jun 1673 to Thomas & Alice

Cannot see anything about John Baldock being a father.

The challenge will be to work out which Thomas out of the two was yours, you will probably need to find trace both families to make sure.

Will dig a little further

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 May 13 10:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sean

I thought it seemed to be too simple - thanks for the help. I will have to look at it in more detail and explore both avenues!
Ball(s) Barnes Bekker Bennett Buchanan Campher deKlerk deVilliers Dickenson Dunkley Edwards  Greenlees Helps Jones King Knoesen Marais McPherson Neat Nel Oosthuizen Peart Richter Scott Smit Smith Turner van-Rensburg Wallworth Webber Wells Worroll

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 May 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thomas & Susan had the following children baptised in Wadhurst
Elizabeth 5 Feb 1670/1671
Mary 9 March 1672/73
Thomas 18 Mar 1676/77
Susanna 18 Feb 1682/83

The wife of Thomas,  Susan(na) was possibly buried in Wadhurst 10 Jan 1719, the burial notes that she was wife of Thomas a carpenter.
This links in with the burial of their daughter Susan in 27 Oct 1709 which notes she was daughter of Thomas a carpenter from Goudhurst.

Thomas and Alice had the following baptised in Wadhurst.
Edward 8 Nov 1664
Elizabeth 16 Dec 1666
Mary 6 Jan 1667/68
Thomas 1 Jun 1673
Mercy 27 Feb 1675/76 (Thomas is noted as 'Old' Thomas) Buried 1 Dec 1728 'Poor'
Helen 2 Jun 1678
Susanna 31 Jul 1681

I cannot find a marriage for Thomas & Alice so it is possible they married in Kent as a guess.
I cannot find a burial for Alice either!

From the marriage of Thomas to Ann Frie it looks as though your Thomas moved to Rotherfield from Wadhurst so perhaps that is a way in, finding a link between one of the families above and Rotherfield.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 May 13 13:57 BST (UK) »
That's amazing Sean - stuff to chew over - thanks so much for your help - so much appreciated! I saw the "old Thomas" reference on FamilySearch and was intrigued!

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 May 13 14:52 BST (UK) »
Aha Found Alice's burial, transcribed as Alce Balduck 6 Aug 1701 Wadhurst wife of Old Thomas.

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 May 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
That is brilliant - thanks so much Sean - seems like a good case!

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 November 13 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, from what I have pieced together with the help of the Lewes records office, the Thomas that married Elizabeth Loofe (Luffe) was the son of Thomas and Susan(na) Manser. Believe Thomas senior was born 1653 in Wadhurst and was the son of William. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any details of William or his spouse apart from a daughter but I am now looking for connections in Kent. 

Have had no luck with the manser family.

Regards,

Alan

Offline smelly hippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 March 16 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, the parents of Thomas Baldock who married Ann Fry (Frie) were John Baldock and Mary Byne. Thomas was baptised in Herstmonceux in 1696, his sister Mary was also baptised there in 1698. John Baldock was buried in Wadhurst in 1730, in his will he mentions his wife Mary and 2 children Thomas and Mary. John leaves an annuity of £4 to his daughter Mary for life to be paid out of proceeds from his lands in Wadhurst. Thomas Baldock (1696-1772) in his 1773 will mentions the £4 annuity to his sister Mary Carrick left to her by their late father. Mary Baldock married first John Cooper then secondly Nicholas Carrick.
Mike