Author Topic: John Lane, son of Sir Thomas Lane, Lord Mayor of London.  (Read 8895 times)

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John Lane, son of Sir Thomas Lane, Lord Mayor of London.
« on: Monday 06 May 13 19:11 BST (UK) »
I'm slightly confused. The Sydney Mail (Jan 11 1922) has an article titled "Arthur Phillip - An Unwritten Chapter" by E. M. Green (a relative of mine). She writes the following in regards to John Lane:

"Mr. John Lane appears to have been a man of substance, and his father, Sir Thomas Lane, was Lord Mayor of London.....In an old book Sir Thomas Lane is described as a Londoner, and ancestor of Lord Foley... We can picture the city gentleman driving to the village of Peckham to visit his son and daughter-in-law, and their portraits by Copley and Romney fill in the picture."

Emma seems to think that John's father was Sir Thomas Lane. She could be right, but I would like to confirm this. When searching on the net I came across Sir Thomas Lane and his wife Mary Ashurt and children. It shows us that John was born in the late 1600s. I've got John's year of birth as 1743. - Could it be possible that they have it all wrong and I'm correct. Also, on further research, I came across Joseph Lane son of Sir Thomas Lane who was born in 1743 and died in 1795 (This was found on google books, a primary source). The date range is similar to John.

Other evidence to support Sir Thomas being the father of John is his incredible amount of wealth. John privately funded a fleet of ships for Admiral Arthur Phillip (1st Gov. of NSW), as the crown and admiralty opposed funding for it. Also, I found out that Sir Thomas owned land in New Jersey and his grandson by the name of Thomas Lane had some control over the land prior to the outbreak of the American Revolution. John Lane had a son by the name of Thomas Lane.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with this mess. I'd like to confirm that Sir Thomas Lane was the father of John Lane.

Kind Regards,

Sykes.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Lane, son of Sir Thomas Lane, Lord Mayor of London.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 13 19:37 BST (UK) »
Found this: "Thomas (1768) and Harriet (1776-1860)...children to John and Eleanor Everitt Lane of London, and grandchildren of Thomas Lane (d. 1784), who was head of "Lane, Son & Fraser", an important London firm that supplied banking services and credit to wealth merchants of..."

Maybe Emma got some information wrong? However, I personally believe that she was quite correct when it came to her information. Considering it was passed down from her mother.

Offline JCTilley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 14 00:43 BST (UK) »
I am researching Thomas Fraser in "Lane, Son & Fraser", and as he and his partners are particularly difficult to research, I have widened my search to John Lane & Son, who appear to be equally difficult to identify with any precision and certainty.

As Lane, Son & Fraser were declared bankrupt 1798, and John Lane was the only person from this union still alive in 1811, it is possible this is the John Lane who married Eleanor Everitt in 1767, and possibly "your" John Lane born in 1743. 

Reading the will of Thomas Lane (d. 1784), he was the father of John Lane of Lane Son & Fraser.

He wished to be buried in the vault at Saint Edmund the King, Lombard Street, where I believe a number of other Lanes were buried.
He had a grandson – Thomas Lane who had at that point not attained the age of 21.
He had a son called John Lane.
A partner called Thomas Fraser.
A Godson called Thomas Fraser, the younger son of Thomas Fraser.
Bequeathed a sum to all the clerks and writers at the counting house of Lane Son & Fraser
A Goddaughter called Elizabeth Fraser
A Granddaughter Harriet Eleanor Lane who had at that point not attained the age of 21
Executors John Lane and Thomas Fraser

Would it then be safe to say that Thomas Lane (d.1784) was the Lane in “Lane Son” with John Lane the son in “Lane Son”?  And that John Lane is “your” John Lane born 1743?

Sir Thomas Lane, Lord Mayor of London died in 1709, aged 57.  Arthur Phillip was born in 1738  which puts him in the age range of being a peer of "your" John Lane born 1743 and "your" John Lane would be in the age range for being the husband of Eleanor Everitt. 

But the John Lane of Lane Son & Fraser can not be the son of Sir Thomas Lane, Lord Mayor of London, as the dates do not stack up. 

Further research would need to be carried out to establish whether Thomas Lane (d. 1784) was the son or even grandson of Sir Thomas Lane.

(I do hope you are still active here  ;D)

Offline JCTilley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 September 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
I have now read the will of Sir Thomas Lane, Knight and Alderman of St. Lawrence Jewry, City of London, died 1709.

He has two sons named in his will: Henry and Joseph, and two daughters: Judith and Mary.  "...My four children..."

His first wife is mentioned but unnamed and his second wife - Elizabeth.

Offline James Waddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 July 16 19:59 BST (UK) »
hello

I have a fair amount of info on thomas lane and sons as they/it relates to the family(s) of Richard Caswell and the as yet unlinked/proved relationship to Sir George CASWALL of Leominster and Lombard st d1742.

Richard Caswell marries SLAYNe 1st and SMITH. Richard and ms Smith  have 1 son Richard who emigrates to MARYLAND after the decease of his parents with his SMITH relatives. WILLIAM

Richard marries Christian Dallam.

Richard's uncle(?) and guardian William SMITH marries  christian's mother ELIZABETH MARTIN (1668-1778) grandmother of Gov Richard of NC and Gov PACA of Maryland. 

2 points on the SMITH's
1. former Lord Mayor's of LONDON(?)
2 elizabeth MARTINs' second husband was William Smith, whose step-father was the brother of the Duke of Marlborough and who took his step-son (Richard Caswell) under his special care and sent him to America in company with Elizabeth and Richard Dallam.

Just to muddy the picture

William SMITH,s 1st wife is/was mistress to Charles CHURCHILL (1656-1714 http://fabpedigree.com/s080/f259038.htm)  Charles wife Elizabeth DODD (see dodd county NC??) bares Charles Jr      Governor of Plymouth Colony)

William Smith's step brother(?) is Smith Churchill. or step son?

NOTE;  well meaning researchers have tied, implied, that Thomas Caswell of Wedon, Northhamps as father of the 1st Richard is also directly related to Thomas CASWELL of Taunton Mass, a Quacker ostensibly from Wiltshire emigrates Mass 1620(?). Though the families are related (as are the Leominster(DAM) CASWALL's) I have not made the connection.
-

Offline James Waddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 July 16 20:00 BST (UK) »

Thomas Lane
The stockholders books of the East India Company clearly show that
at any time in the eighteenth century between ten and twenty Mile End
residents held stock; however, only one man was an active trader in stock.
Thomas Lane left Christ's Hospital School in 1724 and was
apprenticed `to serve John Caswell of London, Merchant, or his brother,
Henry Caswell, in Boston in New England, Merchant, for 7 years'. By 1735
Lane was a partner in a company which eventually became Lane, Son &
Francis. By 1757, he was shown in the the East India Company as living in
Mile End, and he stayed there until 1769, when he moved to Bedford Row.
Lane was a major trader in stock purchasing £33,000 of stock in 1761, and in
1763 he carried forward a balance of £7,500.

The coincidences which these inter marriages underline for me after 3 passes of the material over the past 3 winters now fall in the "are you kidding me" category

-Mary Milbourne appears to be the widow  of Thomas Brassey
-sarah BRASSEY(or unkn BRASSEY?) sis of John William Nathan and THOMAS) daugh MaryDEACON marries THOMAS BODDINGTON
-the Brassey's church has a connection to the Bloomsbury Group and careswall
-the Brassey church has a connection to the EYES c980 and John de CAVE.

John CASWALL d 1731 w KEZIA Johns? widow LANE widow CAVE d 1735 is my John merchant of London and Boston
http://www.merchantnetworks.com.au/periods/1775after/lanesonfraser.htm
-Thomas LANE is a partner of JOHN caswall I&II
-William Lane NY city is John CASWALLs IorII's lawyer executor of John merchant of etc's US property
-a TURNER and a LANE are apprenticed from St EYEs Hospital to John CASWALL of London and Boston
- Lane later had partners Joseph Smethurst (maybe of Marblehead?), then Bostonian John Caswell/Caswall II. Both these men died in accidents. From 1750 the firm then became Thomas Lane and Co, then another Lloyd cousin, Benjamin Booth, came in.

-7 May 1724. Thomas Lane apprenticed from Christ's Hospital to his
grandmother Susanna L. to serve John Caswell of London, merchant, or
his brother Henry Caswell of Boston, New England, merchant. (CH).

grandmother Susanna L    could be a CASWALL?

see BALL as well

Offline James Waddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 July 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
forgot this critical link For Thomas LANE d 1804

http://www.mernick.org.uk/elhs/Record/ELHS%20RECORD%2009%20(1986).pdf
p23

A list of the Names of such Proprietors of Annuities, transferable at the South-Sea House, as were entitled to Dividends on or before the 5th of July, 1837, and WHICH REMAINED UNPAID ON THE 10TH OCTOBER, 1842.

1. cross referencing this list with the 22 'London' Baronets (1689-1722), the Mayors of London,  the directors of the East India Co, South Sea House, The bank of England, The LAVANT co of Smyrna Turkey with the unpaid provides a 100% correlation. (the consiguiety index)
2. cross referencing this list with the principals and collateral parties here http://res.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2015/01/29/res.hgu117.full.pdfprovides a 100% correlation with
3. cross referencing this list with The Life and Times of Thomas, Lord Coningsby: The Whig Hangman and his Victims provides a 100% correlation with 1 and 2
4. cross referencing the results from above with the addresses given  above (and ranked by qty under 'dividends not payed from 1st date due) turns up a lot of lawyers addresses
(note many of the actual buildings housing lawyers were on land patented to the CARYs-KNOLLYs  desc Henry VIII,  Mary Kate ill. daughter. Lincolns Inn and present day LSE (see Thomas Lane form parts of this bequest)
5. Cross referencing 'trust' with address turns up a lot of legal addresses as does/do multiple proprietors were given. some dupes.
6. controlling by sex (abt 35% of names feminine, the ones who are servants and resident at South Sea House.....nice) and ranking by qty of dividends unpaid yields a disproportionate # of f. annuitants for the times.
7. frequency by occupation eg apothecary, merch, esq, spinster, servant, wife, trade, sir, KG, military, ret., pension,
8. simple paretto analysis reveals 20% of the names relate to 80% of the surnames in 1,2 and 3 (ie if you missed receiving a payment
9.  accumulate/CUM missed annuities by month and year correllates to entries reporting living status at time payment missed

Short of taking ones shoes and socks off  the KISS principle applied here through casual observation infers a lot of the people listed as unpaid by the South Sea board of Directors in October 1842 were closely related by occupation, religion, education, tenancy (home county, country, the City of LONDON), birthplace.

Sir George Caswall d 1742 and the Caswall/Caswell/Carswells of Staffordshire and Leominsterdam, hereford, herefordshire England provide a unique focal point for understanding, quantifying and tracing the existing concentration of state wealth and private capital during the birth of the modern corporation. The union of flemish(scandinavian) manifest destiny and modern protestant? commerce as much of the developed world understands and practices it till today is a sub-set of the cause and effect of the Conquest. (i)

Offline James Waddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 July 16 20:02 BST (UK) »
Sir George's grandson Timothy d.1802 marries Constantia ROLT direct descent of Henry VII. thru Mary Katherine

Sir George's near ancestor
Richard Caswell a white baker of st swithins London and leominster m to Mary Slaynie grnddaughter and daughter  of the two Richards Lord Mayors of London.
Sir Richards daughter marries Phineas PETT royal shipbuilders (contractors) to the Royal Navy from 1590
Sir Richards  son by a 2nd mar is Gov Richard 1st Governor of North Carolina. (see Baskerville Plantation)

The Caswalls of Leominster had a significant history in the Mass Bay settlement and a stand alone line followed the Plymouth colony from North Curry/taunton arr 1640-42 Thomas quacker of north curry. While related no evidence or inter marriage (save a consistent naming convention perhaps dissenter or quacker based) or obvious geography connects the numerous thomas'  in this area. yet.

Samuel Caswell of Blackwater Clare 1708-d1804 limerick Georges Quay is proposed as a contemporary of the leominster Caswells unproven relatives of Sir George CASWALL primarily by inference. The very recent research (29  jan  2015) http://res.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2015/01/29/res.hgu117.full.pdf  now provides proven relationships bew Caswall business associates in Lombard st which moves prior efforts from wishful thinking,  circumstantial (see Mayse 1983, Our Caswell Relatives) social history to probable relation. The PERRY family of Cork, Tipperary, WIndies, Virginia and NEngland were integrated business partners with the Leominster Caswells. Thomas LANE (above), of Lane, Son and FRASER along with  a CAVE and a SCHERER and COX apprentice w/John & Henry  CASWELL merchants of london and boston.

The security for Sir George Caswalls South-sea House Charter were the crowns attainted(seized) estates primarily in Munster and Connaught and Leinster. Title was held in The Hollow Blades Sword Company of London.

Rabsas CASWELL a step sister of Richard and daughter of Mary Slaynie marries Phineas PETT; the PETTs are royal shipbuilders lending credence to family 'tales' of financed fleets. The concept of vertically integrated business(s) as we understand it today was embodied in the vertical and horizontal inter marriage between self-interested families; what did love have to do with it?(2)

Using the SLANE/SLAYNEY/SLAYNE's as the lynch pin family   http://powys.org/pl_tree/ps03/ps03_418.html  integrates ASTON LYTTON ST. JOHN BARRINGTON DARCY etc etc Many of these lines are clearly presented here fabpedigree.com, thepeerage, tudorplace

Micajah Perry
1641–1721
BIRTH 1641 • New Haven, Connecticut, USA
DEATH 3 OCT 1721 • London, Middlesex, England
is a close business associate of Fraser Lane & sons. The Pery's and Lanes have joint merchant, shipping and land interests in america, the west indies, ireland (cork(?)) and lombard st london. the caswell's, lanes and perry's use the same NY city lawyer/firm. (info relates to conneticut and later mass. big tracts)

sincerely
james waddell
sudbury ontario

2. sir george caswall was the largest 'market maker' in the stock of The Bank of England. 75% of daily trades went thru him or his associates.

Offline James Waddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 July 16 21:18 BST (UK) »

thomas lane sir lord mayor of london 1694 sheriff 1692 and ancestor of Lord Foley
1652–1708
BIRTH 1652 • candlewicke ancient ward, lombard st, london, middlesex, england
DEATH 24 MARCH 1708 • st lawrence lane, london buried Hampstead I have now read the will of Sir Thomas Lane, Knight and Alderman of St. Lawrence Jewry, City of London, died 1709. He has two sons named in his will: Henry and Joseph, and two daughters: Judith and  Mary. "...My fo

THE ATTACHMENT IS TO LARGE and i am too lazy
mary (john brassey) lane husband partner in turner bank w/ Sir george Caswall and Taylor

john brassey brassy
1653–1737
BIRTH 1653? • a Quaker, who purchased Roxford in 1700, his son Nathaniel was an assistant in the Sword Blade Company and a prominent London banker, trading in partnership with his son-in-law, Sir George Caswall, under the style of Brassey and Caswall. By 1716 Nathaniel
DEATH 26 MAY 1737 • lombard st, london, middlesex, england John Brassey of Lombard St. by his w. Mary Lane. nicholas suc fa. 1737.

John Caswall d1731 is sir george caswells' uncle. his 3thrice married wife kazia ?? is the widow lane and cave.

by thomas. she bears a  son
Thomas Lane Thomas Lane left Christ's Hospital School in 1724 and was apprenticed `to serve John Caswell of London, Merchant, or his brother
1707–1784
BIRTH ABT 1707 • Clements inn, holborn, strand london , england W2C By 1735 Lane was a partner in a company which eventually became Lane, Son & Francis. By 1757, he was shown in the the East India Company as living in Mile End, and he stayed there until 1769, when he move
DEATH 26 MAY 1784 • Bedford Row london w2c Lane was a major trader in stock purchasing £33,000 of stock in 1761, and in 1763 he carried forward a balance of £7,500

http://files.usgwarchives.net/md/harford/bios/caswell-rs.txt for another version of Richard caswell and eliz smith, her nephew william stepson of charles churchill thru his mistress a sister(?) of elizabeth smith (richard caswell).