Author Topic: John Lane, son of Sir Thomas Lane, Lord Mayor of London.  (Read 8898 times)

Offline JCTilley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Lane, son of Sir Thomas Lane, Lord Mayor of London.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 20:57 BST (UK) »
Post removed while I make some more checks

Offline mkearney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 February 19 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I have a related question about the families being discussed here, namely:

Is John Tilley (abt 1768-1813), husband of Elizabeth Fraser (Thomas Fraser's daughter) and father of Sir John Tilley K.C.B. (1813-1898) the same John Tilley who served as the agent for John and Alexander Anderson on Bance Island, Sierra Leone in the 1790's? If yes, can you point me to a source?

Burke's describes the elder John Tilley as a London Merchant, but nothing more.

Thanks in advance.

MK

Offline JCTilley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I wish I could give you just one source to confirm your question.

There is a lot of evidence which points towards John Tilley married to Elizabeth Fraser being the factor on Bunce Island. 
They married on 01 February 1804 at St. Mary at Hill Church, Billingsgate, London in the presence of John Anderson, Alexander Anderson, George Wilson and Charlotte Ednistoun (or similar).

John Anderson, nephew of Richard Oswald who originally owned Bunce Island was married to Susanna Fraser, sister of Elizabeth Fraser.  John and Susanna were also the grandparents of the third wife of Sir John Tilley K.C.B., Susannah Anderson Montgomerie.

Alexander Anderson, nephew of Richard Oswald was married to Christian Oswald, grand neice of Richard Oswald.

The third Anderson brother and nephew of Richard Oswald, James, lived on a plantation in Georgetown, South Carolina named Ramse(a)y Grove, presumably after the wife of Richard Oswald.His son was named Richard Oswald Anderson who died in Bath in 1852 while visiting his sister, Elizabeth Webb Browne nee Anderson.  Who married in 1810 in St. Mary at Hill Church, Billinsgate, London in the presence of Alexander Anderson, Richard Oswald Anderson, George Wilson and Alexander Wilson.

In his book, London to Tokyo, Sir John Tilley, Diplomat made mention of a housekeeping ledger from the counting house of Richard Oswald.  This was passed down through the family. 

I hope this has made sense to you but as you can see, the same names crop up time and time again.

Offline JCTilley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 09:09 GMT (UK) »
In his book, London to Tokyo, Sir John Tilley, Diplomat writes "To go back to my father.  He was a posthumous son, and his father had been born in 1768, a hundred years before myself, while my mother's father, uncles and aunts were all born also in the 18th century, so that I was altogether out of my generation."

Given Sir John Tilley KCB was born on 20 April 1813, then his father John Tilley must have died roughly between about July 1812 to 20 April 1813 but I have been unable to locate any memorial to him or will which, given the apparent status of the families involved, seems strange.

Maybe I am just not looking in the right places.

Offline JCTilley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 09:14 GMT (UK) »
For those following the Lane/Fraser trail, Sir John Tilley, Diplomat writes in Chapter VIII of his book "When I found myself bound for Rio de Janeiro, I remembered that I was not the first of my family to undertake such an adventure.
In 1829 an uncle of mine, a young man of twenty-four, having failed to make good in this country, we sent out to Brazil with various letters of introduction in the hope, apparently, that he would do better there.
I thinking some of his letters maybe of interest, especially to anyone concerned about the history of South America; and that, not although, but because, they are simple the letters of a feckless young man to his mother and sister, intended to give them some idea of his doings.  The introductions came from a Mr. Lane who had been in partnership with the young man's maternal grandfather, Mr. Thomas Fraser.  The firm of Lane, Son and Fraser, previously Lane and Booth, had been in existence, it appears, for some hundred and fifty years, but I have never discovered that they had any connection with Brazil."

Offline mkearney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:51 GMT (UK) »
JCTilley, Thanks for the information. While it might not stand up as genealogical proof, the presence of John and Alexander Anderson at John Tilley's wedding is a very strong indicator that he is a close associate of some kind. I apologize for not replying directly to your message but, being new to rootschat, I am not yet permitted to send them. I do have a lead on an estate for John Tilley, but I need to get to an LDS Family History Center to get access to the online materials. Stay tuned...

Offline JCTilley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I look forward to hearing from you again then.  ;D

Offline mkearney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 February 19 02:24 GMT (UK) »
I have located information pertaining to the estate of John Tilley in:

Death duty register for wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 1796-1811; and administrations, 1796-1857 and indexes

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/522838?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Film: 1817877
Digital: 8495266
URL: https://www.familysearch.org/search/film/008495266?cat=522838 (locked)

The register entry, pp 129-130 for March 6, 1813 records the fact that John Tilley died intestate with an in insolvent estate worth 200 pounds. John Totill, undertaker, and Tilley's creditor was the administrator. "Relict renounced for herself and children."

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 22:21 GMT (UK) »
In my book, Prinny's Taylor:

"1809 was the year when Louis decided to give up South Stoneham House, which he sold to the merchant John Lane for ₤16,986/2/3.  Lane was bankrupt by 1815, whereupon the house was purchased by John Willis Fleming, M.P, whose family then owned it for the next 150 years."

Is that John Lane connected to yours?
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"