Author Topic: Henry Terrell Hodge and Sarah Ann Pugsley born Harberton  (Read 6380 times)

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Terrell Hodge and Sarah Ann Pugsley born Harberton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 12:44 BST (UK) »
Aha, I had found Jane Timewell in 1841 but not Mary Hodge. Of course, odds are probably that this isn't our Mary Hodge. Well, I shouldn't be so hasty. An unmarried Mary Hodge within the right age range, from Harberton. A pretty good candidate.

But ... I wonder whether there's any chance that the Terrell in Henry's name was really Timewell?
Thank you Janey, and Trish. You are certainly helping me work out Henry’s birth family. They didn’t make it easy for us, did they? I’m pretty busy over the next few days so haven’t got much time to take it all in, but will join the discussion again later. Thanks so much for your efforts :)

Polly

Offline NEMASIS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Polly, just found your post: I'm descended from Henry and Sarah via their daughter Annie, who was my paternal Great Grandmother. Which one of their numerous children is your antecedent? I haven't verified much of the Hodge tree but I can pass on what I've got (mostly FreeCEN & FreeBMD). Sarah died in the March quarter 1920. Neil
Simmons, Bond, Cocking, Forsdick, Ware, Perkins, Farley, Davis, Hodge, Yeo, Pugsley, Searle, Dunn, Setter, Maddock.

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Polly, just found your post: I'm descended from Henry and Sarah via their daughter Annie, who was my paternal Great Grandmother. Which one of their numerous children is your antecedent? I haven't verified much of the Hodge tree but I can pass on what I've got (mostly FreeCEN & FreeBMD). Sarah died in the March quarter 1920. Neil
Thanks for your post Neil. I have to jog my memory a bit here – it’s been a while since I thought about Hodges and Pugsleys. I am descended from their eldest child – Elizabeth Ann Hodge. In 1882 she married John Howard in Plymouth, Devon. Their first child was my paternal grandfather John Henry Howard, born 1883. In 1885 the family shifted to Brisbane, Australia. Early in the 20th Century, John Henry moved to Wellington, New Zealand and married there in 1908. His mother, Elizabeth Ann, died in Brisbane in 1949 at the ripe old age of 91. I know that her mother, Sarah Ann Hodge (nee Pugsley), had many children. The 1911 census shows she had had 12 children – five of whom had died by the date of the census. What a life of hard work she must have had.

Polly :)

Offline NEMASIS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
I believe that makes us 3rd Cousins: Annie, Elizabeth Ann's sister, married John Henry Simmons, then down through their son Frank to my father Ian and so to me. I'll sort out what I have on the rest of the Hodges & Pugsleys.
Simmons, Bond, Cocking, Forsdick, Ware, Perkins, Farley, Davis, Hodge, Yeo, Pugsley, Searle, Dunn, Setter, Maddock.

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I believe that makes us 3rd Cousins: Annie, Elizabeth Ann's sister, married John Henry Simmons, then down through their son Frank to my father Ian and so to me. I'll sort out what I have on the rest of the Hodges & Pugsleys.
I have been searching in https://www.freereg.org.uk/ and by using a wildcard managed to find baptism records for the children of Thomas and Ann Pugsley (12 children - another large family :o). The listings are all from St Andrew’s Church Register, Harberton, Devon. (The mother’s forename for the first record is “Mary Ann”, not just “Ann” as is shown for the other children; but it is my guess that “Mary Ann” and “Ann” are the same woman):

4 Aug 1816 – Child: Mary Ann PUGSLEY – Abode: Harberton Ford – Father: Thomas PUGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Mary Ann – Register note: “Minister officiating: J C Hicks”

1 Mar 1818 – Child: Thomas PUGSLEY – Abode: Luscombe – Father: Thomas PUGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Ann – Register note: “Minister officiating: J C Hicks”

10 Oct 1819 – Child: Jane Elizabeth PUGSLEY – Abode: Harberton – Father: Thomas PUGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Ann – Register note: “Minister officiating: J L Tozer”

6 Jan 1822 – Child: Maria PUGGESLEY – Abode: Harberton – Father: Thomas PUGGESLEY, labourer – Mother: Ann – Register note: “Minister officiating: Wm Marshall”

8 Feb 1824 – Child: Susanna PUGSLEY – Abode: Harberton – Father: Thomas PUGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Anne – Register note: “Recording official: T B Murray is the clerk”

27 Nov 1825 – Child: James PUGSLEY – Abode: Harberton – Father: Thomas PUGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Anne – Register note: “Minister officiating: George Martin”

30 Dec 1827 – Child: Edmund POGSLEY – Abode: Harberton – Father: Thomas POGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Ann – Register note: “Minister officiating: Joshua Reynolds Johnson”

21 Feb 1830 – Child: Anna Maria POGSLEY – Abode: Harberton – Father: Thomas POGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Ann – Register note: “First wrote Henry as child’s name then scratched that out; Minister officiating: Joshua Reynolds Johnson”

14 Aug 1831 – Child: Charles POGSLEY – Abode: Harberton – Father: Thomas POGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Ann – Register note: “Minister officiating: Joshua Reynolds Johnson”

18 May 1834 – Child: Robert PUGSLEY – Abode: Harberton – Father: Thomas PUGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Ann – Register note: “Minister officiating: George Martin”

16 Jul 1837 – Child: Sarah Ann PUGSLEIGH – Abode: Harberton – Father: Thomas PUGSLEIGH, labourer – Mother: Ann – Register note: “Minister officiating: George Martin”

30 May 1839 – Child: Robert PUGSLEY – Abode: Harberton – Father: Thomas PUGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Ann – Register note: “Privately baptized JRJ; Minister officiating: Joshua Reynolds JOHNSON”

The baptism listing below is a little different. There was no father’s name and the father’s occupation was “Servant” (but this most likely applied to the mother, not the father):

28 Jun 1837 – Child: James POGSLEY – Abode: Harberton – Father’ occupation: Servant – Mother: Jane POGSLEY – Register note: “Privately baptized by me JRJ; Received into the congregation July 15 1837 by me George Martin; Minister officiating: Joshua Reynolds Johnson”

I would say that this child, James Pogsley, was the James Pugsley, aged 4, listed among the members of the Pugsley household in the 1841 census. My guess is that he was the illegitimate child of Thomas and Ann's daughter Jane Elizabeth Pugsley, born 1819. Jane was not in the house when the census was done – maybe she was a live-in servant at another household.

Another odd one is an entry for a child born 1813 with a different mother’s name (I see the abode given of Harberton Ford is also the abode for Mary Ann Pugsley, born 1816):

28 Mar 1813 – Child: Ann POGSLEY – Abode: Harberton Ford – Father: Thomas POGSLEY, labourer – Mother: Sarah – Register note: “Minister officiating: J Williams”

I didn’t quote the record sources for any of the above listings; the record sources were included in the register notes. This posting is long-winded enough without making things worse. :-[

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 November 17 03:13 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 there is an unmarried Mary Hodge aged 68 (c1793 Harberton), retired, living in Heavitree.
She is the "joint occupier" living with Jane Timewell(?), a widowed retired servant aged 78, and her two middle-aged children. Jane was born in  Teignmouth and the children in Exeter ... I was wondering whether Jane might be a sister. That Mary might be a tad old to be the mother of the children born c1830, but you never know.

In 1851, someone at Anc'y has corrected Jane's name to Timewell from Fimewell. It could be worth checking with that person to see whether they know Jane's name of origin, for instance, or know of any connection with the Mary Hodge in her household.

Something to keep in mind about Henry's name -- Terrell could be a surname in Mary's family, but it could also reflect the common practice of giving a child the father's surname as a middle name, when the parents were not married.

Greetings all,

I agree with the comment that the Mary Hodge in the 1841 and ’61 censuses living with the Timewells might be a tad too old to have been the mother of Henry and William. That Mary Hodge would have been aged around 32 or more when Henry was born and even later when William was born, and I imagine that in those days it would have been quite unusual (and unacceptable) for an unmarried “respectable” woman in her thirties to have illegitimate children. :o

I have been doing some searching and have come up with another Mary Hodge in the 1841 census 8) She was a resident at the Kingsbridge Union Workhouse, Parish of Churchstow, Stanborough. Her occupation was female servant; she was aged 30 and born in Devon. I calculated that she would have been around 17 when Henry Terrell Hodge was born and 21 when William born, so her age was nearer what I would expect it to have been. What was interesting, too, was that this Mary Hodge had a baby with her – Susan Hodge, aged 21 days. If this Mary is the one we are looking for, then we can conclude that the baby with her was, like Henry and William, born out of wedlock. However, until more proof is found, it’s hard to know exactly who this mother and baby were. I have tried to find more information on them, but have so far had no luck. :-\

Any help would be welcome. ;)

Polly

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 November 17 03:46 GMT (UK) »
HODGE, SUSANNA
No mother's maiden name so probably illegitimate.
GRO Reference: 1841  J Quarter in OF THE KINGSBRIDGE UNION  Volume 09  Page 384

Susan was still in the workhouse in 1851.

Debra  :)

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 November 17 23:49 GMT (UK) »
HODGE, SUSANNA
No mother's maiden name so probably illegitimate.

Susan was still in the workhouse in 1851.

Debra  :)

Thanks for responding Debra. That was helpful. I looked to see if I could find a death for this Mary Hodge and found a registration that I strongly suspect might be her. A Mary Hodge died in the Kingsbridge district in the March quarter of 1855. Shame. :'( Would be nice to think she had lived a little longer and at least got out of the workhouse. I could at some stage order a copy of the death certificate, although I realise that such a certificate may have limited information. It may be difficult to confirm that she was Henry Terrell Hodge’s mother.

Wonder what happened to her daughter Susanna (Susan). :-\

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 November 17 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pollyhow,

The GRO search
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
now also gives age at death where it was stated, before the dates when it was recorded in the index itself.

These are the details of that death:

HODGE, MARY        - age 50      
GRO Reference: 1855  M Quarter in KINGSBRIDGE  Volume 05B  Page 193

That could be consistent with age 30 in 1841 if the age stated in that census was rough and if the age at death was perhaps also rough.

Age stated as 30 in 1841 could have been rounded down by as much as four years, by the census rules that year.

34 in 1841 and 50 in 1855 would be a pretty close match.

A possible match for that Mary in 1851:

Mary Hodge, 46, unmarried, household servant
born in Stokefleming (c1805)
living in Stokefleming, Kingsbridge reg dist
HOH Henry Webber, 47, widower, farmer
and Henry Webber's unmarried daughter Mary
(Mary mistranscribed by Anc'y as Henry)

Note that Susan Hodge in the workhouse in 1851 was born in Stokefleming.

HODGE, SUSANNA        -      no mother's surname

1861 census

Susan Hodge, 19, unmarried, apprentice, domestic servant
born in Kingsbridge Union
living in Blackawton, Kinsgsbridge reg dist

I suspect this could be her in the 1881 census

Susan Hawse, 40, unmarried, cook domestic servant
born in Kingsbridge, Devon, England
living in Stoke Damerel
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?