Author Topic: Henry Terrell Hodge and Sarah Ann Pugsley born Harberton  (Read 6381 times)

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Terrell Hodge and Sarah Ann Pugsley born Harberton
« on: Tuesday 07 May 13 04:48 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on my great-great grandparents Henry Terrell Hodge and Sarah Ann Pugsley who married in Devon in 1856. Henry was born 1828 and Sarah 1837. I have searched the 1841 census and found a family of Pugsleys in Harberton (father Thomas, mother Ann) which I think is Sarah’s family; however I have nothing on Henry’s family. Henry died in Plymouth in 1885. I cannot find a death record for Sarah but found an 1891 census record – it showed she lived at Woolster St, Plymouth with her son.

I would welcome information on their birth families and also on Sarah's death.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Terrell Hodge and Sarah Ann Pugsley born Harberton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 06:14 BST (UK) »
hi,,,Henry was baptized in Harberton on the 4th may 1828.....his mother was called Mary...no fathersname is given.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 06:43 BST (UK) »
if she has a son Walter b c 1880,,,she is alive in 1901,,,but her birth year is given as 1841,,,,,
there is a death in Plymouth in 1920 of a Sarah A Hodge  age 81 ?   worth considering,,  if we can find her in the 1911 census,,,then that would help. ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
hi,,,Henry was baptized in Harberton on the 4th may 1828.....his mother was called Mary...no fathersname is given.
Thanks for that. Clever researching. :D

The name Mary Hodge rang a bell. I looked again at the 1841 census records for Hodges living in Harberton and found a family - Abraham aged 36, Mary aged 47, Sophia aged 10, James aged 7 and John aged 10m. This could be Henry’s family – a slight possibility anyway. I found a likely record for Henry in the census. There is a Henry Hodge, male servant, aged 13, living with the family of William Whiteway, a farmer, in the parish of Harberton.

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
if she has a son Walter b c 1880,,,she is alive in 1901,,,but her birth year is given as 1841,,,,,
there is a death in Plymouth in 1920 of a Sarah A Hodge  age 81 ?   worth considering,,  if we can find her in the 1911 census,,,then that would help. ;)
Yes she did have a son called Walter. He was the 12-year-old son living with her in the 1891 census.

It could be her death record that you found. She would have been about 81 in 1920. Great if she lived to that age.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 15:49 BST (UK) »
Looks like Mary had 2 illegitimate Sons Baptised St Andrews, Harberton, Devon;
HENRY TERRELL Hodge, 04 May 1828
WILLIAM Hodge, 11 March 1832
2nd Baptism has Mary as a Servant, abode Harberton

Source FreeREG

1861 Census it appears William and Family are in Cornwall, he is down as born c 1832 Halberton, Devon.

There are several possible Marriages for a Mary Hodge 1832-1841 in Devon On Familysearch.Org

Trish :)

I dont think ABRAHAM/MARY Hodge on the 1841 Census are related to your Henry Terrell Hodge unless they are Uncle/Aunt.
They Baptised St Andrews;
Elizabeth 1824
William 1827
Sophia 1829
Sophia 1831
James Bickford 1833
John 1840
Source FreeREG

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
In 1861 there is an unmarried Mary Hodge aged 68 (c1793 Harberton), retired, living in Heavitree.
She is the "joint occupier" living with Jane Timewell(?), a widowed retired servant aged 78, and her two middle-aged children. Jane was born in  Teignmouth and the children in Exeter ... I was wondering whether Jane might be a sister. That Mary might be a tad old to be the mother of the children born c1830, but you never know.

In 1851, someone at Anc'y has corrected Jane's name to Timewell from Fimewell. It could be worth checking with that person to see whether they know Jane's name of origin, for instance, or know of any connection with the Mary Hodge in her household.

Something to keep in mind about Henry's name -- Terrell could be a surname in Mary's family, but it could also reflect the common practice of giving a child the father's surname as a middle name, when the parents were not married.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 00:49 BST (UK) »
Definitely some sort of connection

1841 Census
St Paul, Exeter, Devon
HO107/267/11/St Paul
James Timewell, 55, M S
Sarah Timewell , 20, F S
Sarah Tobey, 50, M S
Mary HODGE, 45, F S
Prob in the Household of Mary Granger, 80, Independant

1841 Jane Timewell age 55, Mary 15 and Henry 10 seem to be living in a separate Household in Exeter.

1861 Sarah T is born c 1817 Exeter
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 01:39 BST (UK) »
Aha, I had found Jane Timewell in 1841 but not Mary Hodge. Of course, odds are probably that this isn't our Mary Hodge. Well, I shouldn't be so hasty. An unmarried Mary Hodge within the right age range, from Harberton. A pretty good candidate.

But ... I wonder whether there's any chance that the Terrell in Henry's name was really Timewell?
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?