Author Topic: HALPIN in France  (Read 1823 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HALPIN in France
« on: Wednesday 08 May 13 00:07 BST (UK) »
Two or three instances of this name, HALPIN, have popped up in France in relation to my research into an IRISH family.  Halpin and its variant spellings is an Irish surname but many have settled in Britain over long periods of time.  However, I should think it is a very rare name in France.

In the 1840s, A. Halpin (possibly R. Halpin) of the Kingdom of France witnessed a document in Dublin, Ireland.

A shipping record shows the ship Undine arrived in Dover from Calais on 22 August 1851.  The captain declared his "alien" passengers to customs including Halpin (no forename or initials), Gentleman, and France as his place of residence.

Might there have been further shipping records for such a routine crossing at the time?

I am afraid that my school days French does not get me far in trying to access French online records.  I would really appreciate help as to how I might go about this search.

Bill

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HALPIN in France
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 00:55 BST (UK) »
There is no national databases for bmds in France, so you have to know a location or hope something comes up on one of the partial indexes that have been constructed by various groups.

However, there was a brief mention on geneanet.org for a birth of a Michel Halpin, b. 1850, "Granville, Eure", which turned out to be (seeing as there is no place called Granville in the Eure department), Granville-l'Heure, now part of Le Havre in Seine Maritime and these records are on http://recherche.archivesdepartementales76.net

25 8bre 1850 (25th October 1850) (image 217 in the 1850 births, act number 428 - I can't link directly) - presentation of a male infant born at the house of his parents, the previous day in this town, rue catinat (not sure on street name), son of John Halpin, 37, railway employee, and Ann O'Connell, 25, who were married at Rouen 5 June 1846; given the name of Michel.   (witnesses are not relatives).

I can't see the marriage in Rouen (could be lots of reasons; I might have misread the date on the original document, or "Rouen" might have been somewhere nearby, or they might not have registered with the French authorities in the first place).

There is in the English 1871 census also a Robert Halpin b. 1821 France with wife Eleanor (b. Ireland), sister in law Margaret Wallace, and a bunch of kids (most b. Ireland, youngest b. England).
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VRJW-R5L

Do either of these strike you as a possibility? I'd imagine that any trace will come back to members of an Irish family settled temporarily or permanently in France.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Another child born in France

Mary Ann HALPIN - Graville-l'Heure (Seine-Maritime) - 12/JAN/1849. Born the day before. Parents : John HALPHIN, 35, employé au chemin de fer, and Anne O'CONNEL, 25, sans profession. Same date and place given for their marriage : Rouen 05/JUN/1846

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 September 17 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the feedback on the French Halpins.  It's greatly appreciated.  The family we're interested in spent most of the 18th and 19th centuries in Ireland and England, with forays into France around the time of the revolution in 1789, with the actor John Edmund Halpin being among a number of English pow's and detainees held at Fontainebleu and Verdun in May of 1803. 

The Robert Halpin you've uncovered was the Rev Robert Crawford Halpin (1815 - 1889), who married Eleanora Wallace in 1847.  Robert's father was William Halpin (1777 - 1862), who fought in the Napoleonic wars on the British side, which explains Robert's birth in France.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 September 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
Christophe is a terrific find - can't thank you enough for this discovery.  Nicholas is one of the earliest names on our family tree, and your information raises the possibility that the Halpin family's link to France began much earlier than previously thought and may have involved factors other than war and commercial and political adventurism.  Brilliant contribution.  Many thanks.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 September 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
and theres me thinking I had made an Ass of myself saying what makes you think it is Irish ...lol...glad you find that record of value .... :)
ADDED- Just a thought - Nicolas b 1650 was born during the English Civil War and in 1688 William of Orange deposed Charles 2nd - he also fought in Ireland so I presume around 1680 period - was Nicolas in your family Catholic or Protestant - because many Irish went and fought in the Anglo Dutch War which started on 6th April 1672 - English and French troops joined forces against the Dutch .
I wonder were your rellies Fighting Army Men ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 September 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
There were also a lot of Irishmen  who followed James II into exile in France.  The parish register of St Germain-en-Laye has a number  of records of the time with some interesting interpretations of Irish surnames by the parish priest!  In case it is of interest to anyone "Jacobite extracts from the parochial registers of St Germain-en-Laye" can be found on the Internet Archive.
BDF Twigg, Ellingham, Gates
BKM Bilbey, Collins, Brandon, Norwood, Smith
HAM Holloway (Romsey area)
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
MLN Maitland, Robertson, McGlashan(all Edinburgh)
OXF Morby, Cross, Gardner (all Banbury area)
SAL Jones, Mathews, Higginson, Davies, Gobourn, Blount
WAR Pritchard (Birmingham)
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 September 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
A great question, garstonite.  All of the Halpin's we're interested in were Protestant, but some of them had confusing sympathies for and attachments to Catholics.  They themselves say they came from county Louth, in the north east corner of Ireland, and many of them used the surnames Halpin and Halfpenny interchangeably, placing them among the large mix of Catholic and Protestant Halpins and Halfpennys found in Louth.  A developing theory of my own is that they were what Irish historians call 'Old English' - that is, they settled in Ireland as colonizers before the English reformation and the conversion of England to Protestantism.  Thereafter, over the course of a few generations and in response to events in Ireland and abroad, more and more of them converted, with the last of the conversions occurring between the Cromwellite wars and the Glorious Revolution of 1688.  If there were any Catholics left in the Halpin family after that point, they probably converted in response to the Penal Laws, introduced to deprive the native Irish of the remainder of their lands and properties.  This seems to me to be the most likely course of events.

Nicholas's line of descendants settled in Portarlington, Queen's County, some time before the 1760s, where they were associated with the education of the Ascendancy's children.  I've been trying to link a certain Christopher Halpin, who was a distiller in Dublin in 1798, to the rest of the Halpin clan, and your discovery of a 'Christophe', son of Nicholas, has given me the best indication yet that I might be on the right track.  Hence my gratitude and excitement.

So your speculations as to the possible participation of the Halpins in the events surrounding the Glorious Revolution in 1688 and the Anglo Dutch War are certainly not wild.  They fit with a trend and a pattern that was repeated in the 18th and 19th centuries.  Many of the Halpins were indeed 'fighting men'.