Author Topic: Where is 'Coolatrimble'  (Read 9780 times)

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is 'Coolatrimble'
« on: Wednesday 08 May 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
Coolatrimble is the home address of a Nicholas Roche who erected a headstone in memory of his son Patrick Roche 1841 in Castleellis old graveyard, Co Wexford. I have Roche family in this area at the time, no Nicholas that I know of but I have lots of gaps, I tried to find the place with no luck. If anyone knows where it is I would be grateful.

Thanks

M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Where is 'Coolatrimble'
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 21:25 BST (UK) »
could it be Coolatrindle ?

civil parish Kiltrisk, Gorey Poor law union

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane but I don't think so, I could read 'Coola....ble' clearly, I could not read the middle letters but I also checked on Cantwell's memorials and he has 'Coolatrimble'. I am from the locality and have asked a variety of people as well as searching online don't think it exists today.

M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
the townland of Coolatrindle is just 16 km north-east of Castleellis

the Irish is Cúil an Triondaill

It's the only townland I can see in Co. Wexford that fits a co*l*tr* wildcard search
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
It is in the right locality, I suppose the stone mason may have just written what he heard  ??? and Coolatrindle does sound like Coolatrimble. On second thoughts I will go with that and see if it leads to anything. Before they lived in the Castleellis area they lived in Killeagh which is about half way to the Coolatrindle that you found. My aunt did a lot of research in the 80's and has indicated in her notes that she knew that there were more in family but never filled in any information, she left spaces for two males in the family and this Nicholas might just fill one gap.
I will look a bit further north ;)

Thanks again,
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 23:34 BST (UK) »
Spelling was not standardised and it's not at all uncommon to find such spelling variations for a townland.

To give you a similar example, there's a townland in County Londonderry called Ballylintagh or Ballynunta.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 13 00:13 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks Aghadowey. I guess I have been lucky with placenames till now. Not so with surmanes my family spelled them however they pleased but I am not really one to judge I use the O'  that is on my husbands birthcert even though he has never used it himself. ;D ;D
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 May 13 08:45 BST (UK) »
it's indexed on the Tithes as Collatrindle, but on the page it's Coolatrindle. No Roche's holding property at that time

see : Collatrindle, Kiltrisk Civil Parish

As aghadowey mentioned, variations, not just in spelling but also in how place names sounded were common, so expect that's the case here The only other reference I've seen to that spelling with the 'b' seems to be an extract of Cantwells - so possibly even a mistake or 'typo' on that headstone is the origins of this.

My guess is the townland name was based on an older Irish name, which might help establishing possible variations. Unfortunately there's only basic details for the townland on the Placename database (they often note variations for the placenames located in various historic documents).
My Surname Interests

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 May 13 14:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, the link you put to the placenames database is really useful I hadn't seen that site. I am a novice with using the internet but I did start my family history interest and searching in the 80's but left it as I found it so hard to keep track of and then I moved abroad. I am back in Ireland and have renewed my efforts and am amazed at how much can be done on-line and all the help I have had on here ;)
I am well and truly convinced now that the stonemason just wrote what he heard, the 'b' is one of the clearest letters on the headstone. I had checked Griffiths for Roches in Coolatrindle but found none. I will still check the graveyards around there as I said I know the family were north of Blackwater on the kilmuckridge side before they moved to near Castleellis but I believe that was early 1800's. I can't find much documentary evidence but my Aunt remembers my Grandad telling her and I did find my ggrandad and his brother baptised in Blackwater but I don't believe they were still living there then. I couldn't find a family grave in Ballyvaldon. I might have more luck around Kilmuckridge area, they may not be legible now so I will go to library to see what Cantwell found.

Thanks again
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary