Author Topic: John Thomas Owens died 9 Feb 1905 Pembroke  (Read 7872 times)

Offline owensmanc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Thomas Owens died 9 Feb 1905 Pembroke
« on: Thursday 09 May 13 00:54 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the grave of John Thomas Owens, who I believe died in Pembroke on 9 February 1905.  The date of death is from the probate record.

I have tried the Pembrokeshire County Council Burial Record Search, but he does not appear to be listed.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomas Owens died 9 Feb 1905 Pembroke
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 13 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hello owensmanc

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Is this your John ?

John Thomas Owens

Buried at Pembroke,St Marys

12 Feb 1905,aged 64

Address,11,St Thomas Street

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline owensmanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 13 23:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Omega

That's the correct John Thomas Owens.  Are you saying he is buried in the churchyard at St Marys?

I thought they stopped burying people there from the mid 1800's?  Am I wrong?

Thank you.

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 May 13 02:35 BST (UK) »
Currently in cancer ward. I have photographed and researched all headstones and memorials for Pembroke and monkton. If your person of interest had a headstone it no longer exists. By 1905 all burials are in the cemetery for st Mary at llanion unless they had family plot attack park street or st Michael. When I get out will do further research for you.
Owen ap benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 May 13 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hello owensmanc

Looking again,at the top of the page its clearly Burials,Pembroke,St Marys.There are other names on the page.

Kind regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 May 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hello owenmanc

I have had a Personal Message from Orielbenfo & he ask me to please pass on the following message to you.

It is lightly that the person is Buried at St Daniel`s which comes under St Mary`s Register.Even more so as he was from Orange Gardens.
I can suggest more when I get home

Oriel is going to be in Hospital for a long time & Wish him a speedy recoverery.

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 14:16 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the grave of John Thomas Owens, who I believe died in Pembroke on 9 February 1905.  The date of death is from the probate record.

I have tried the Pembrokeshire County Council Burial Record Search, but he does not appear to be listed.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

A John Thomas Owens had 2 children baptised at Pembroke St Mary they are
01 Sep 1892 William Henry to John Thomas & Mary Anne Owens of Ornage Gardens a Postman baptized by D.W. Jenkins
21 Jun 1894 John Thomas to John Thomas & Mary Ann Owens of Orange Gardens a Postman D.W. Jenkins.

There are a possible number of others that just might fit somehow ;
02 Aug 1871 Eliza to John 7 Jennet Owens of Ornages Gardens a Labr in the Dockyard
02 Aug 1871 John Thomas to John & Jennet Owens of Orange Gardens a Labr in the Dockyard
06 Aug 1873 Henry to John & Jennet Owens of Orange Gardens a Labr in the Dockyard
17 Jan 1878 Matilda Hughes to John & Jennett Owens of Ornage Gardens a LAbr in the Dockyard (Bapt at St Michael during renovations to St Mary)
18 Jan 1878 Margaret to John & Jennett Owens of Orange Gardens a Labr in the Dockyard (Bapt at St Michael during renovations to St Mary)
03 Oct 1879 Charles to John Thomas & Jeneat Owens of Orange Gardens a hammerman at the Dockyard, baptized by C. W. Coddington

Pembs St Mary Mrge
12 Dec 1890 John Thomas Owens aged 22 a bach and postman of Thomas Street Ornage Gardens the son of John Thomas Owens a Hammerman mrd Mary Ann Harries aged 26 a spoinster of Croft House Tenby the daughter of Thomas Harries a labourer by banns in front of D.W. Jenjins. Both Signed their names in the presence of Jenny Harries and

Pembroke St Mary Burial Register entries 1883 to 1913
Ann Owen of 11 Owen street Ornage Gardens buried 26 Dec 1911 aged 66 by T. Angel
David Owen of Main Street buried 24 Mar 1892 aged 54 by D.W. Jenkins
Charles Seymour Owens of 11 Thomas Street Ornage Gardens buried 14 Apr 1908 aged 18 mthc by C Hayward Phillips.
Elizabeth Owens of Orange Gardens buried 25 May 1883 aged 23 months by W. Jones
John Thomas Owens of 11 thomas Street buried 12 Feb 1905 aged 64 yrs by J. Austin
Lily Owens of Orange Gardens buried 30 Jan 1913 aged 03 days by J. Howell
Stanley John Owens of 11 thomas Street Orange Gardens buried 01 aug 1908 aged 16 days by C. Haywood Phillips
Thomas Orwens of Mansel Street (that’s Orange Gardens) buried 10 May 1920 aged 51 by Evens Thomas

Pembroke St Michael Baptism Register
25 Jan 1893 Martha  to John & Mary Ann Owen of Kingsbridge a blacksmith by W. Jenkins
25 May 1862 Henry Thomas to John & Mennet Owens  of the Eastend a labr by J.H. Horrox
17 Apr 1864 Mary Jane to John & Janeet Owens of the Eastend a labr by D.W. Morris
07 Jun 1889 William John to John 7 Mary Anne Owens of Welll Hill a blacksmith by D.R. Parry-Davies
14 Mar 1894 Edward George to John & Mary Anne Owens Eastend blacksmith by J.j. Andrews.

Turning to burial’s, normally St Mary’s takes place at Llanion after about 1868 with the act of closure of inner town churchyards and the into of out of town all faith cemeteries such as Llanion, St Michael and Monkton Cemeteries. Park St P.D. also closed circa 1868, however if you had family plot then burial continued until 1910, the same can be said for burials in the church yard at St Michaels after the 1807’s.
St Daniels for what ever reason is totally different. St Daniels never had any registers of Bapt Mrge or Burial and came under St Mary’s, although there is the odd reference that can be x/ref’d at St Michael’s for whatever unknown reason.
St Daniels is not and never have been covered by the P.C.C. database, this also goes for other areas of churchyards and cemeteries in the county responsibility of the P.C.C., but are not included (Narberth old lower churchyard comes to mind). I have frought my through the bracken, brambles and thorns of St Daniels on a number of occasions whichout any get success.
I have completed the research of Monkton St Nicholas Memorials and Headstones, but alas can find no reference that may assist your research.
I am also in the midst of trying to compile the history of the remaining headstones of St Michael and St Mary, but alas no results can be found to be of assistance.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline lambkin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 07:08 BST (UK) »
Currently in cancer ward. I have photographed and researched all headstones and memorials for Pembroke and monkton. If your person of interest had a headstone it no longer exists. By 1905 all burials are in the cemetery for st Mary at llanion unless they had family plot attack park street or st Michael. When I get out will do further research for you.
Owen ap benfro

Sorry to hear that you are in Ward 10, get well soon. :)
Buckney
Siddoway Durham/ Northumberland
Odell Stevington
Joy Kempston
Gilby Wellingborough
Brown Winlaton
Urwin Durham/ Northumberland
Poole Bedfordshire
Tompkins Stagsden Bed's
Vaughan Monkton Pembrokeshire
Buckney Angle Village Pembrokeshire
Grimes Langwm Pembrokeshire

Dudley Bedfordshire pre 1580

Offline owensmanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 June 13 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the comprehensive reply Orielbenfro.

Most of the Owens/Owen you have highlighted are mine.  Thanks in particular for Ann Owen buried 1911, who I had not managed to find previously.  She was the second wife of John Thomas Owens (1840-1905).

I looked through the database on the P.C.C. website and can find none of my Owens/Owen at Llanion, so I guess they must all be at St Daniels.

Get well soon.

Owensmanc.