Author Topic: Baptist Chapel, Sardis  (Read 10681 times)

Offline NThomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist Chapel, Sardis
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 October 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
Good news - I finally found the graveyard register and found the grave you asked about. There is a headstone on it, although it is difficult to read the inscription because the carved side faces south west, which is where the rain flies in from. The ladies at the church also remember a Mr Palmer living in the chapel house in Rosemarket, and they said that his sister (your great aunt) is also buried in the yard. The grave is quite near the chapel building (therefore in the part we keep well tended and tidy). When we get a nice sunny day, I will take my camera down to the chapel and photograph the grave and take some general pics of the chapel and yard, for you to get a feel of the place. You can probably see pictures of Chapel House in Rosemarket on Google street view, as it is on the main street running down through the village. If not, let me know, and I will get a photo for you.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 October 14 00:44 BST (UK) »
How exciting, does the register record that Elizabeth and James are buried in the same grave .

That would be wonderful of you to take photos of the grave/ headstone and general area.
I will send you a PM with my email address

I have been looking on Google, and have "driven" up and down the The Beacon. it seems to be a narrow street but I cannot make out the house numbers, seems that some homes have house names but they are very hard to read, so if you have the time a photo of the house would be a wonderful bonus.

Thank you

Cass

Offline NThomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 October 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, they are both in the same grave - both names are on the gravestone. I have received your email address, so will send pictures when I get down to the yard. The chapel in Rosemarket is on Middle Street. If you start below the chapel and 'walk' up Middle street, you will see the graveyard, then the chapel head on. There is a cream-coloured house immediately after the chapel (behind it and slightly above it) - that's the Chapel House.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 October 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

As a result if the wonders of Google Earth I have just had a stroll around Rosemarket and walked up Middle street and found the Chapel and the cream house. What a lovelly village, there are some nice gardens. Thank goodness I "walked" I would have had the horrors if I was driving and meet a car coming towards me, the Street appears to be so narrow, a bonus was that it look like a lovelly sunny day when Google took the "movie".

Regards

Cass