Author Topic: Baptist Chapel, Sardis  (Read 10687 times)

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist Chapel, Sardis
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 May 13 12:57 BST (UK) »

Yes I think you are correct  I have spent a couple of hours "driving" up and down the lanes and roads around that intersection with the street sign, and came to the same conclusion, that the church is up the end of Thurston Lane, the only section of the Lane where Street View is not available. From overhead there does appear to be a building with graves around it.

It is amazing, from the other side of the world you can "drive" up and down an area using Street View and see the sights.  Looks like it is a rural area, with very narrow roads.

Carole T

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 May 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
Went to Sardis Baptist Chapel at Sardis near Burton today and searched for the Palmer's, alas there is no sign of their headstone. To be really sure I also dropped in on th Wesleyn Chapel a few hundred yards up the road over the border in Hill Mountain. alas as you would expect there was no result there either.
Rgds Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist Chapel, Sardis Completed
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 May 13 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Owen

Oh what a disappointment. As James left an Estate of One thousand pounds I really thought that there might be a headstone.

Many thanks for all you help, I hope that you had better luck with your military search.

Regards

Carole t

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist Chapel, Sardis Completed
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 May 13 05:02 BST (UK) »
I hope that you had better luck with your military search.
One success, Frederick James Richards killed aboard HMS Warrior Battle of Jutland, referenced on Sardis family headstone.
one failure ;
Arthur Ernest Breeze Joined 4th Batt Welsh Regt, saw action Flanders & Western Front, 1917 wounded & gassed, then invalided out of the services, returned to Pembrokeshire to live, died 1965.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline vagary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 July 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been advised that Elizabeth Mary Palmer who passed away 8 Feb 1926 and her husband
James Palmer who died 8 March 1950 were buried in the Cemetery located at Sardis Baptist Chapel.

I am wondering how I can find if there are headstones on the graves or any information regarding
MI's. 

As I live in Australia, I do not know the area (only use Google Earth) so any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
Carole t     ps hope i have placed this on the correct board
Hi

I have been advised that Elizabeth Mary Palmer who passed away 8 Feb 1926 and her husband
James Palmer who died 8 March 1950 were buried in the Cemetery located at Sardis Baptist Chapel.

I am wondering how I can find if there are headstones on the graves or any information regarding
MI's. 

As I live in Australia, I do not know the area (only use Google Earth) so any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
Carole t     ps hope i have placed this on the correct board

Offline vagary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 July 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, I came across this post trying to do some research on chapel house rosemarket, chapel house is opposite the tabernacle chapel rosemarket. We didn't know of the Palmers living here,We have lived in chapel house since 1999 and would be greatfull for any information as to when and for how long the Palmers may have lived here. We have looked in the graveyard of the chapel there are no graves with the name Palmer but some are unreadable damaged or missing.
regards Richard.

Offline NThomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 October 14 20:40 BST (UK) »

Looks like it is a rural area, with very narrow roads.

Carole T

It is a rural area. Hello, I live just up the road from Sardis and am a member of the Baptist chapel there. As it was the first Baptist chapel to be founded in the area, it has a very large graveyard, the oldest part of which is now overgrown. Palmer is traditionally a Llangwm name, and before Galilee Baptist chapel was opened, Baptists from Llangwm were members at Sardis and many of them were buried there. If your relatives were buried in a family plot, the grave may be down in the old part of the graveyard. We have a register of names on headstones in the yard, which I will check for you. We may find a batch of Palmer graves together, which might mean that they are buried there. Unfortunately Google street view doesn't go down Chapel Lane, but there are pictures of the chapel online. If I can find anything for you, I will take a photo.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 October 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Many thanks for your reply. It would be wonderful if you could have a look at the burial register,
if you find them it would be fantastic. 

If you find them in the register and even if there is no headstone  a photo of the Chapel and graveyard would be wonderful.

I see that you are also a member of the Thomas Clan, Elizabeth Palmer was the daughter of Levi Thomas, my G G G Grandfather, Levi's son from his 1st marriage, Benjamin was by GG Grandfather, he come to Australia from Wales in the 1870's.

Regards

Carole Thomas

Offline NThomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 October 14 19:11 BST (UK) »

We also have three elderly ladies in the congregation (all in their 80s) who have never moved from the area and have been at the chapel since their days in Sunday School - I will ask if any of them remember James Palmer - if as you say he lived at the Chapel House in Rosemarket and was buried at Sardis in 1950, someone might remember him or where he is buried. Interesting that they also lived at Ashdale Lodge and on the Back Lane (now known as Ashdale Lane) - Ashdale Lodge (not the house they lived in, but a new house built on the site) is a stone's throw away from my house. The Back Lane as they knew it would have had a handful of cottages on it, it is now lined with houses built in the 70s and 80s.