Author Topic: What Irish uniform might this be?  (Read 7316 times)

Offline gerryg1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Irish uniform might this be?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 May 13 02:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ady. 

Been reading up on the different police units, all very interesting but little wiser as to the actual unit depicted in the photo.  I wonder if the fact that all but one of the men, apart from the instructor, are wearing ribbons could mean something.  Perhaps just a course photo, lots of times in my army career we had photos taken at the end of longer type courses, not to mention basic training.

Gerry.
Gastion/Gaston, Montgomery, Blair, McKeown, Monaghan, Steele, Proudfoot, Thompson.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 13:31 BST (UK) »
This is a photo of my Uncle .  I have come to the conclusion that this is a 'B' special uniform.  He was a sergeant major in WW1 and I presume was recruited into the 'Specials' after the war.  I have a few more of groups but the files are too big to attach.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline gerryg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 May 13 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks RosemaryJoan, I think you are probably right.  Here's some of the other info we've come up with so far. 

The USC (Ulster Special Constabulary) was made up of two groupings.... 'A' & 'B'.
'A' Specials were paid for duties to assist at police stations as Police numbers were low and the USC was a cheaper way of covering for Police who were required out on the ground.  I understand there was also a reserve 'C' section of mostly older men.

'B' Specials (USC) were unpaid (except for 2 bounties a year) and were only used when the 'pooh' hit the fan (but not sure how they were informed when to take up duty).

Uniforms obviously supplied by the Government and probably kept at home.  Firearms and ammo kept in Police Stations.  Drilled every Sunday. 

Obviously there is a lot more information on the net.

Apparently details of individuals are kept by PRONI.

Regards.  Gerry.
Gastion/Gaston, Montgomery, Blair, McKeown, Monaghan, Steele, Proudfoot, Thompson.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 May 13 10:11 BST (UK) »
gerryg1
From what you say, I think perhaps William John was an 'A' category, as I have photographs of him in an office and with groups and it looked as if he was permanently employed.  He was born in 1890 and was the youngest man ever to become a regimental sergeant major in the British Army(family legend).
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)

Offline gerryg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 May 13 02:25 BST (UK) »
RosemaryJoan, I think from other sources that William John joined the RIC after the war and would most likely have transferred to the RUC when the RIC was disbanded in 1922, therefore he would have been a member of the the full time police force, the Royal Ulster Constabulary, rather than the more controversial reserve, the Ulster Special Constabulary ('A' & 'B' Specials) formed late 1920.  I also note that besides the 'family legend' he had also been awarded the Military Medal.

Refer here - http://www.royalirishconstabulary.com/index16.html

The site has a host of fascinating information.

Gerry.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 May 13 10:24 BST (UK) »
Strangely enough, I gave all those photographs and info to the owner of that site but didn't know that he had published it.  I don't Wm. John was ever in the RUC, as in 1945 he was a labourer.  I must get out his file and see if I can find out when he became a civilian.
In one photograph he has a sergeants stripes, and another the RIC insignia which I gather denotes a higher rank.  Do you agree?
RosemaryJoan

Offline gerryg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 May 13 11:42 BST (UK) »
RosemaryJoan, certainly agree assume Warrant Officer level which I guess would be Head Constable. I think I noticed that there were two levels of this rank.

Gerry.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 May 13 12:00 BST (UK) »
Just looked at his marriage cert. in 1923.  His occupation was 'R.U.S.C.'
RosemaryJoan

Offline gerryg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 May 13 13:04 BST (UK) »
Strange mixture of terms.  Perhaps he was 'RUC' attached to the 'USC' in an organisational capacity, or he may have just transferred from the 'RIC' to the 'A' Specials as you thought.

Gerry.