Author Topic: Mother and Baby Home run by nuns in Churt, Hampshire in the 1960's  (Read 20932 times)

Offline Chrisann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mother and Baby Home run by nuns in Churt, Hampshire in the 1960's
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 August 13 17:42 BST (UK) »
By the way, it is definitely in Surrey but close to the Haampshire border. My birth (1949) was registered in Alton, Hampshire. Chrisann
(Staple, Ash next Sandwich, Chillenden, Eastry, Alkham, Shepherdswell) Knowler, Whitnall/Witnal, Laws, Rigden. (Ramsgate, St Lawrence, St Peter, Minster in Thanet, Garlinge)  Lawrence, Spel(l)man/Spillman, Baker, Collins, Cock

Offline carriex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surrey
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 August 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
Same here - that's where my birth was registered.  I do hope you had a happy life Chrisann.

Offline Chrisann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 August 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
By and large, I have, Carrie. There have been ups and downs, but no matter what their circumstances most people experience those. I hope that your adoptive home was a kind and happy one and that you had a happy reunion with your birth mother. I eventually decided to seek out my natural father, but he had died just three months before my 'real' Dad, so I never found out why he had been willing to marry my Mum if she gave me up. I do know that he never married.  Chrisann
(Staple, Ash next Sandwich, Chillenden, Eastry, Alkham, Shepherdswell) Knowler, Whitnall/Witnal, Laws, Rigden. (Ramsgate, St Lawrence, St Peter, Minster in Thanet, Garlinge)  Lawrence, Spel(l)man/Spillman, Baker, Collins, Cock

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 August 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
By the way, it is definitely in Surrey but close to the Hampshire border. My birth (1949) was registered in Alton, Hampshire. Chrisann

Thanks for the exoneration!  Many folks fail to recognise that Registration Districts span County boundaries, as do many of the 'Unions' of parishes for the Poor Law legislation of 1834.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Searcher77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 January 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi my father who recently died was born in this home in August 1947. His mother gave him up for adoption around 1948.  Oddly shortly before his death he found out he met his mother when he was 15 although the woman did not introduce herself as his mother but rather asked a lot of questions.

At the time he thought she was some sort of social worker although we now know it was some sort of arrangement his mother had to meet with his birth mum.  This was only revealed to him months before his death. I have no idea how his mother could have got in contact with him around 1962 but this was what happened.

Anyways since my dad has now passed would I be able to find out any information about my grandmother.  I know her name and I suspect she is long deceased if my dad was 67 when he died. I realise this is a long shot.  Although an English home we are Irish.  Did a lot of Irish girls go to this home.  Reading the stories I feel bad for my grandmother and all the poor girls who went to this place.

Offline nicolemhalpin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
I see it has been a few months a since anyone has commented on this thread but I am looking for any and all help in the search for my my fathers birth mother/family and birth story. I recently acquired his baptism certificate and was able to make out the words "St. Joseph's-Assisi Maternity Home" as the location. Through my search on the Internet this thread popped up. He was born there on July 25th 1953. I do not know anything about his birth mother, except some of the things my Nana (his adoptive mother) told my mom. She said his mother was from Ireland, possible last name Sutton and was around 16 years old. She was very secretive about all the details and burned mabt of the documents she had. She died years ago and kept all the secrets with her. I live in the U.S. and it's been very hard to find any info pertaining to his birth online. I welcome any and all help. Thank you so much!

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicole.  I've sent you a personal message.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Offline pympaulw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I was adopted and born in a home run by the Francisan order near  Alton between Bordon and Hindhead
The home was located on Hammer Lane house Numbers were Assis 1,2,3. I visited this house in 1993 and traced my biological mother from here.
Paul W

Offline David Mackintosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 April 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
I know it's been some time since there has been some activity
I was born at the home in September of 63 after my mother was pregnant and had fallen out with my grandparents she spent 3  months there until her aunt or cousin came to get her
The nuns apparently wanted me adopted but fortunately my mother and family were against it and in that time my grandparents also had a change of heart and took my mother and myself home
I have been to the home since which had been two buildings , the larger of the two had already been turned into flats but the house was being worked on for a private family .
I spoke to the builder- foreman on site and he told me a couple of things
One thing I find does not sit right with me is so much info seems to have been lost in fire