Author Topic: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes  (Read 80363 times)

Offline Samgil65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Assisi Grayshott Hampshire
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 12:36 GMT (UK) »
In reply to Ladyinthevan post #78 on 24/11/2016 from AnneOM. Hi Anne my name is Samantha Gilbey Nee: O`Gorman I was born 16/03/1965 at Grayshott.  My mother was called Marie O`Gorman( Sadly Deceased) and I believe this maybe the Marie you referred to in your post. My mum told me that she set up home in Streatham with two other girls from Grayshott.  My mum also told me my dad was of Italian decent and his name is Riccardo Coccia, I do not know if this is accurate as my mum refused to talk about those times as they were very painful memories for her. I would love to hear from you and discover any more information surrounding those days back in the 60`s.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Sheofcwm,

I am very saddened by your story, I cannot begin to imagine what you, or your son went through, or indeed how you deal with this even now. My heart goes out to you.

Thank you for not mentioning any names in your post, it is appreciated.

We hope your story will give the courage to other people affected in a similar life to go forward and bring justice on those that caused the offences. Also, that somehow, that lessons can be learnt to stop these things happening in the future.

I hope that now you have people to talk to to help you along in your daily life, it cannot be easy I'm sure.

Trystan
RootsChat Co-founder
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Ladyinthevan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
To Samgil65
How lovely to get your message Sam. I was sorry to hear that Marie has died. She was good fun. You were born a little after my son Nic who was born on the 1st of March.I remember visiting her in her room when she was ‘lying in’ as they called it. We got a flat with Angela in Valley Road just off Streatham Common and all used the same Babyminder. I hope she was happy. I am now 72. I think your mum was  a little older than me but not much. Yes I remember that both she and Angela had been in relationships with Italians. It would be nice if you could trace your Dad. Never too late! I will see if I can find any photos of those days. I left the flat quite soon and went to live with my son’s father and his family. Big mistake!

Offline mullion cove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have previously put on this site that my husband now aged 76 drew up in a house next door to The Assisi home.  I have outlined his memories, sketchy though they are, in my previous post.  I know that the house was converted into apartments but I wonder if the estate agents who sold it might have photos of the inside of the house.  It was converted some years ago now but I will make some enquiries from friends who live locally and see if they can remember who sold the property or if any one has any knowledge of the home.  My husband only remembers it as a dark scary place that didn't encourage any sort of interaction with anyone.
The stories I haveread are heart rending and how these acts could have been carried out in the name of religion beggars belief.
Hopefully I will be able to help with some information.
Mary

Offline sheofcwm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody remember what order the nuns at Assissi belonged to please.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 16 November 17 09:13 GMT (UK) »
maybe contact the local Catholic church and St Josphs Convent in Grayshott

http://www.sacredheartbordon.co.uk/st-joseph/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Mary Fordham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 14 January 18 08:30 GMT (UK) »
My son was born at Assisi on August 4th 1964 when I was 18. The shame we were made to feel by those cruel nuns has never left me. My son was taken for adoption but I was lucky and my parents let me have him back. He is now 53 and is a grandfather himself now.

Offline bultitude

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
I was born at assisi hammer Lane in January 1954 then at 6weeks went to sheringham with my mother and then adopted a few months later.on my birth certificate it says my godmother was phillomena gibbons any one else born there around this time?

Offline nannysmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
I was born here Dec 1950  I have no date of birth for my mother so 40 year's of searching have been fruitless  anyone who can help regarding records who be most appreciated