Author Topic: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes  (Read 79435 times)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mother and Baby Home run by Nuns in Churt in the 1960's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 14:24 BST (UK) »

Two posts for a PM might be sufficient. Click on the symbol which you'll find below the username at the left hand side.

Or, if someone is offline :

Kind regards,

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Val McFerran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 14:25 BST (UK) »
S I have to make three post before I can message you, So maybe a bit more info about the home
It was 1967 when I was sent there my baby was born in March so I must have gone there aboutlate Jan as I remember you were supposed to be there 6 weeks before and then 6 weeks after so you could breast feed the babies before they were taken from you....how cruel was that?
  I had to be confirmed while I was there as they wouldnt baptise my baby until I was..so I then had to have  religeous  instruction with the priest ,cannot remember his name.  and then tell him all my sins the worst a mortal sin apparently sleeping with a man out of wedlock....
  I remember one nice nun called Sister Assumption, she was very young, and not a bit cruel like the rest of them...the difference when it was visiting time on a Sunday was amazing they all turned into sweet things...Anyone there at the same time as me, I love to hear from you.
     Val

Offline carriex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
They really were unbelievable times weren't they?  I have just read a book (a true story) written by a mother who had her baby in a similar sounding home, but am sad to hear this was true at the one you gave birth in too.

Offline JenniferL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 November 13 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I believe that it was called Assisi the home Nr. Haselmere.  Hi I my mother was at Assisi in 1962 and from what she said it sounded awful although in all honesty she didn't want to talk about it much!   I have written a novel which is fiction called Skin Deep which includes a place like this called St. Catherines.  The book has four stories of women who all are connected with the adoption process but all their stories are very different.  It particularly explores the mother daughter relationship and its aim is to help heal emotions from all sides.  Interestingly enough there is a long leafy lane to the home, I did not know that!  Anyway the child's emotions also draw on my own experiences of being an adopted child.  I went to see Philomena a few days ago and thought thank goodness the truth about what it was like for those poor mothers is now out but I wanted to put over in the book that it was not just in Irelan also UK.  Love to all who have suffered needless to say I am a very lapsed Catholic.  I was adopted through the Catholic Children's Society who helped me trace my mother in the early nineties.  I believe that it has merged with the Children's Society now.  They were very helpful but the information I received shocked me at the time also being told a lot were forced  to breast feed and they had no choice to keep their babies. Jennifer L

Offline carriex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 November 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer
Philomena was a very good film wasn't it?  As an adoptee I found it very moving, particularly in Philomena's case (I don't want to ruin the story for those who have not seen it yet).  Interestingly there were several single women in the audience of a certain age and I did wonder if they were women who had possibly given birth and were still keeping the secret?
I would love to read your book but as I am in the middle of writing one myself, I don't want to be influenced in anyway.  Maybe I will get yours when I've (finally!) finished mine.
Best wishes
Carrie

Offline JenniferL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 November 13 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I think now is the time for the truth! Writing it in fiction is a good idea.  Let me know when you have finished and I will read it. Good luck Jennifer L

Offline Dee Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 December 13 13:10 GMT (UK) »
My Mother gave birth to my Brother at Assisi , Hammer Lane, Grayshott in 1955. She never wished to speak of it so I know nothing from her. After her death I decided to search for my brother I only had a name to go on and a rough area 1 year later and we have just met for the first time !! Adoption records for this home are held at the St Francis' Childrens Society in Milton Keynes. The people there are very helpful and supportive. A lot of the children born there went on to the nursery based in Sheringham, Norfolk, from where they were adopted. I am now starting to do more research on both places but there seems to be little info anywhere. I even went to Sheringham and there is not even anything in the local library with regard to the Convent nursery . I hope this bit of info is of use. If anyone can give me any info about what it was like at either Assisi or Sheringham I would be grateful.

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 December 13 16:11 GMT (UK) »
      Hi, I have no info on the home, but this may help Dee, in her search for the nursery
        in Sheringham, google www.steamindex.com/olsj/annex/olsj/history.htm then scroll
        to the very end, there are details for a book that may throw some light on the place.
        I also noted that many children were adopted by U.S.A.F families, hope someone is
        able to source a copy of the book, that is if you think it is relevant, Dave.

Offline carriex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 December 13 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee - I can help you with some info on Assisi House.  If we exchange a few messages I can then give you my private email address and send you some pictures. How lovely that you have met your brother.  I would love to hear more of that story if you would be willing to share (privately). Best wishes