Author Topic: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes  (Read 80200 times)

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes
« Reply #135 on: Sunday 19 August 18 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all...

Just wanted to share some info on Assisi that some of your previous posts have asked for with regards the property itself and what it was like.. As I have mentioned in my previous posts, I was almost certain that there was a cottage in the grounds from older research I had undertaken back in the 1980's, and that Assisi was a large property, maybe even an estate with a big Edwardian house as well as other ancillary buildings, that then became the M&B home we all want to know more about run by the nuns! I know for a fact Assisi was a large Edwardian property as I have seen it for myself from the outside, what I don't know is how it came to be what it became.

This link https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/46635387#hXyRqUYoPv9k1r0c.97 is details on a cottage in the grounds which is attributed to a gardeners cottage. I believe that there may have been another property in the grounds also which was for the priest. My next steps is to find out who built the house, why, and when the nuns got hold of it and turned it into a M&B. 

On another note, I found many references to Assisi in this link below (although you have to scroll through the postings to find them)... that said I think the author is missing the point! And does not reflect what many of us know or believe, that said I will leave it to you to decide.
https://www.thetcj.org/child-care-history-policy/mother-and-baby-homes-by-jill-nicholson

Best wishes as always
Damo

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Sunday 19 August 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
http://www.motherandbabyhomes.com/

The above link, and very comprehensive work on M&B's I totally attribute to Rose Bell the author and thank her for work and diligence on this matter....

That said, I would like to hear from anyone who has gone through life not being adopted after birth in an M&B, as there in lies another story yet to be told...

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Monday 27 August 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
https://media.onthemarket.com/properties/3943824/doc_0_0.pdf

"Built, we believe, around 1880 St Clares cottage sits in the grounds of the old
Assisi Convent set amongst woodland. St Clares is believed to have been
a Priests cottage up until the early 1980s when the convent and land was
sold to a local builder. The builder converted the large convent building into
four individual homes and as part of this work St Clares underwent complete
renovation as well. St Clares has an original stained glass feature that was
fully restored by the present owners."

Copyright attributed to Peter Leete and partners The Green, Headley Road, Grayshott,
Hindhead, Surrey GU26 6LG

Offline Newell60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Monday 10 September 18 23:25 BST (UK) »
I was born at  Assisi,Hammer Lane in 1960. I’m just starting out on the road to finding out details about my birth Mum. Fascinating insight into the stories of the Mothers who went there and the  children born there and the  history of these places. Thanks you to all the People who have posted here over the years. And thank you Damien Keady and Mullion Cove for all the recent info.

Offline KarenTJ1167

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Monday 10 September 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
I was adopted by an anazing family. I always say I won the adoption lottery. Great childhood. Fantastic life overall. My curiosity about my birth only surfaced after i had my own children. Any help gathering information is much appreciated.

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hammer+Ln/@51.1269664,-0.785949,140a,35y,70.9h,47.04t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4874331abae9502f:0xca0e29af7f7e79c7!8m2!3d51.1244889!4d-0.7832129

Google Sat Nav view of Assisi as is now... lots of land and property.. little cottage on RH side near road is the former priests house

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
apologies for my quick replies and lack of detailed information. however I seem to keep losing my longer posts that i have written in a blink of an eye..... no conspiracy theories here, but just what is happening! oops

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
I just wanted to make sure that all those searching on here are aware of a few things...

Surrey and Hampshire have had a few boundary changes in the past.

Churt, Headley, Hindhead, Grayshott and Alton are all relevant areas of previous addresses for Assisi... they are all the same address just changed over the years.

The postcode for those that need to see the place is GU26

Kiln Way ran at the back of the property GU26 6JF - but the priest house is at GU26 6JD and the same block of land as Assisi on hammer lane

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
You just find out more and more if you look... what is a pump house anyone know... https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/st-clares-cottage/hammer-lane/grayshott/hindhead/gu26-6jd/22418792