Author Topic: MacNaughton/McNaughton of Comrie (Finglen)  (Read 4054 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
MacNaughton/McNaughton of Comrie (Finglen)
« on: Sunday 12 May 13 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am searching for information on my MacNaughton/McNaughton ancestors in the Comrie area.  The OPR of my 3x g-grandfather, the Rev. Peter Macnaughton, indicates his family resided in Finglen.  I have found the marriage for Rev. Peter's parents, John MacNaughton and Ann(e) McInnes in 1791, but I do not know any other information about them.  I have a possible birth (1762) for John to Duncan MacNaughton and Sarah Donaldson/McDonald.

Any information on John MacNaughton (birth, death, parents, grandparents...) and Ann(e) McInnes (birth, death, parents...) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

lmfamilyresearch
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline AndrewTurvey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacNaughton/McNaughton of Comrie (Finglen)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am searching for information on my MacNaughton/McNaughton ancestors in the Comrie area....

I also have McNaughton family from Comrie although a bit later on: Janet McNaughton, born Comrie in around 1842 per the 1881 census. She married David Tulloch in Edinburgh in 1861:

http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Family:David_Tulloch_and_Janet_McNaughton_%281%29

Looking at the 1851 census, there were three Janet McNaughtons in Comrie - born in Aberuchill, Ross and Dalhonzie, all three areas of Comrie parish. Not sure at this stage which one is my ancestor and I can't locate the OPR.

Andrew

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 July 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

I did a search for oprs  on www.scotlandspeople for surname  m*naught*n     forename  j*

parent name duncan   parent name catherine  date range 1840-1845 county of perth parish comrie and you only get 1 hit.

I have family born in comrie around the same period and I have found the names not as expected.

Janet is the same as Jean jeannie etc that's why I use just the letter J plus wild card *

see the site whats in a name  http://www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Jean.html

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline bluedooo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody
I'm assisting a friend with her family history.  She was adopted at birth, but has recently acquired her original birth record. She was born xxxxxx McNaughton on 17 May 1936 in Royal Infirmary Tibbermore Perth. Her birth mother was Marjory McNaughton, occupation Daily Help, usual residence Ruberslaw House, Bank Street, Crieff. 
As Comrie is fairly close to Crieff, I wondered if the above rings a bell with anybody on this thread. I would appreciate any assistance in finding Marjory.
Regards
Tom 

Offline HoCatnip

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 02:37 GMT (UK) »
I have a Gaelic Psalm book of a Peter McNaughton dated March 28, 1841. I believe it came to Canada with the Colin Chisholm family in 1899. Colin was married to Anna MacLachlan, reportedly born in 1851 in Ross of Mull. The book was printed between 1833 and 1841.

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 January 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Would you be able to take a picture of the book and the inscription (if there is one)?  I would be interested to see the inscription.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood