Author Topic: boyes in dumfrieshire  (Read 3871 times)

Offline gethngethn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
boyes in dumfrieshire
« on: Monday 13 May 13 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
Im looking for some information in regards to a john boyes
(1833-) who was born in glencairn, dumfrieshire. He is present on the 1841 census in lochmaben.
I think his father was a stephen boyes who died early (c1835) but having problems gaining further info
any information would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Gethn

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: boyes in dumfrieshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 May 13 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

The 1841 entry is living in Lochmaben and there is an 1851 entry for a John Boyes b 1833 Lochmaben parents John & Agnes

1851 shows a John Boyes b 1834 Glencairn livining in Dunscore - occ apprentice shoemaker

Dunscore ED 3 Page 1 Line 13
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 00:06 BST (UK) »
1861 - none with a birthplace of Glencairn

1871   - none with a birthplace of Glencairn

What other info do you have about him?  Marriage/children etc
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 01:45 BST (UK) »
I think we are talking about 2 different Johns here.

On 31/12/1857 at Netherton, Dunscore a John Boyes married a Jane Bell.   He is shown as a Shepherd, aged 24, so bc.1833, son of Stephen Boyes and Catherine (formerly Brown).   I can't seem to find them on 1861 Census so don't know where he was born.  Can only find baptism of one child online i.e. Mary bp.3/10/1834 at Morton by Thornhill, Dumfriesshire).

As already mentioned by CaroleW, the one born in Glencairn was a Shoemaker App. in Dunscore in 1851, as was a Mary bc.1836 who was a general servant in another household in Dunscore.   She too states she was born in Glencairn and looks like they were brother/sister.

However, I don't believe that Glencairn John is the one in Lochmaben in 1841.

In 1841 at Tundergarth (Bankshill Outhouse), Dumfriesshire:

Mary Boys    23
John Boys      7
Mary Boys     5

I believe that this is the John and Mary born in Glencairn.   Can find no baptism at Glencairn but familysearch shows these 2 baptisms:

John Boyes  b.5/1/1834, bp.26/1/1834 Tundergarth, son John Boyes and Mary Porteous
Mary Boyes  b.5/10/1835, bp.16/10/1835 Tundergarth,           ditto

John Boyes married Mary Porteous 6/12/1833 Tundergarth (also an entry 24/11/1833 at Applegarth which I am assuming were banns).   Looks like John Boyes senior had died by 1841.   Although born in Glencairn looks like both John and Mary were baptised in the parish of their parents marriage and Mary could have returned there when her husband died.

So which John are you interested in - the one who was a Shepherd (son of Stephen and Catherine) who married Jane Bell in 1857 or the John who was a Shoemaker born in Glencairn? They definitely seem to be 2 different people.

Annette       

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline gethngethn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi caroleW and annette .
Thanks for your fast reply.
I think the john im looking for is the one who married jane bell in 1857.
I have found john and jane living in liverpool, lancashire and have 3 children catherine( c1857-)
John (c1858-1917) and james ( c 1861).
From further census returns (1871/1891/1901) he states he is born in scotland but in the 1911 he states he was born in glencairn, dumfries.
I have tried to look for his birth and also his father and mother marriage but with no luck
Thanks again
Gethin

Offline BernadetteB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi gethngethn,

I found this website by accident and noticed your request for information regarding John Boyes. As the date of your request is 2014 you may well have all the info you need, but I may be able to help if you haven't, as John was my great grandfather and so I've been able to confirm some details due to knowledge about family links.

Let me know if I can help

BernadetteB

Offline gethngethn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernadette
Thanks for your reply, any information would be appreciated, I am struggling with john father ( Stephen) and having difficulty gaining information from him. There was a story that the votes were cattle drovers initially from isle of jura but as yet unable to prove thus
Thanks
Geth

Offline BernadetteB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 December 16 00:26 GMT (UK) »
I love the idea that the Boyes family originated on Jura. A cousin did some research whilst he was living and working in Scotland. This was a time before websites so he must have checked at source. He traced the Boyes family back to the 17th century when they were drovers, so this doesn’t prove the Jura part but confirms they were drovers.

I have a little information about John’s grandparents, though I can’t confirm this in the way I can his decedents.  I think Georges Grandfather, like his Father was called Stephen Boyes, born in Scotland in 1775. He died aged 70 in 1845. His wife was Mary Jordan born in 1777. She died on the 18th July 1824 aged 47. John’s Great Grandfather was also called Stephen and was born in 1750.

The more reliable info follows

John was born in 1834 in Glencairn Dumfries, to Stephen Boyes and his wife Catherine nee Brown. His father died on the 8th of Feb 1835 aged 25. His sister Mary was born after his death in 1836. You know where he was aged 8, poor little boy, but it’s not clear if the shoemakers apprentice is our John Boyes, especially as he doesn’t use this skill again. On New Year’s Eve 1857 John married Jane Bell at the church Dunscore, Dumfries.  The information of where they settle is based on the census material, but also on the place of birth of their children.

They had 3 children born in Scotland Katherine in 1856, John in 1858 and James in 1860. In 1861 they were living in Liverpool, where John worked as a labourer, daughter Jessie was born in 1862 and son William in 1864. John’s sister Mary was living with them at this time.  They moved again, this time to to Bold where Stephen was born in 1868.

By 1871 they were in Widnes with John working as an artificial manure something (couldn’t read the writing on the census). Annie was born here in 1871. In 1874 they’re living in Hollywell North Wales, when Robert was born. They were in Liverpool again in 1878 where my grandfather George was born.

In 1891 they were back in Hollywell where John was coal dealer, but by 1901 Jane had died and John was living with his youngest son George and his wife Sarah in Sutton, St Helens, Lancashire. He was 68 and still working, this time as a hewer, a job cutting and loading coal in the local colliery.  In 1911 at 78 he was retired.  He died in Sutton St Helens in 1917 aged 84.

My Dad told me a couple of things about his grandfather, I got the impression he was quite a character. One was that he always said he had the cure for foot and mouth disease, which he kept secret and died without telling anyone what it was. However that would tie him into working as a shepherd at the time of his marriage. He also told my dad that his wife was born in the banks of Lock Lomond, though I can’t find any information regarding this.

Ok , a bit long, but hope that’s of use.

Bernie
P.S. Can I be cheeky and ask why you are so interested in John Boyes?

Offline gethngethn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 April 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernadette
Thanks For your reply, I haven't been on here lately so Sorry for late reply. John Boyes (b 1834)is my Grandfather x3) and have descended and his son John (1858). They are on my Paternal side of the family and have traced them as far as Stephen but could not go any further until your information.
In regards to John I have several articles on John from Welsh newspapers on-line (free website) which states he was a fighter, I think this is John his son and interesting about a fight in Bagillt, Flintshire where police were called due to an arrange fight and a large crowd.
If you would like any further information, please let me know
Thanks again
Gethin