Author Topic: 2nd Lieutenant WW1 Manchester Regiment 5th or 7th Battalion has no service recor  (Read 1983 times)

Offline 11saints

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would love some help for my grandmother now 89 years, wants to track information on her father, particularly his military records.

His name was Daniel Pearson and he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Manchester Regiment and served in France. Either the 5th or 7th Battalion in the Calvary. We know he wasn't injured and the Seniority Date is the 26/09/17.

I find it strange that we haven't been able to find any service records for an officer. All we found so far was a single item which was a copy of the original correspondence used to apply for his medals back in 1918.

Any help would be FANTASTIC, my grandmother is not well and would really like to help her with this wish.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
hi,,,can you tell us when and where he was born?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
hi,,,there is a medal card for him....this is a very basic record,,,it usually just states   name,, rank,,number  {if an ordinary soldier,,,officers didnt have numbers}  medals awarded,,and the theatre of war they first entered.If you have access to Ancestry,,you can download it for free,,,,or you can pay £3 odd at this link

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D4574616
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
also be aware that about two thirds of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing in WW2.So his service record may not have survived.

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Officers records are not part of the burnt records or available on Ancestry, but you will be able to view them at Kew - or find a researcher to get them for you.
Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info