Author Topic: Perrys of The Pelican Inn Devizes Wiltshire  (Read 5615 times)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Perrys of The Pelican Inn Devizes Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 May 13 16:35 BST (UK) »
Dave Jones,
Thank you.
I know that a Perry married a Perry and also that they ran The Pelican along with coaches etc to Bath so this also makes sense. They were married into the Banes of Marlborough as the next generation married there! They were then Perry Bane and chemists.
I think I can get my head around it now.
All very difficult as very,very elderly family members have info.and have forgotten or not sure where it is etc!
I get bits and am trying to join the ends together.You have been a great help.Manny thanks.
My next job is to find out what happened to William J Perry declared dead ,presumed eaten by sharks having jumped ship off the Port of Natal South Africa.
We have info in legal declarations .I thought he was a son of William who owned The Pelican but that is NOT right obviously. As this declaration was through chancery and signed off around 1860 I'm not sure where he fits.Also where John Perry born 1819 in Devizes fits? All the info I thought the relatives had given me doesn't seem correct.Hey Ho that's what genealogy is all about! :) :)
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline Kina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 June 13 11:06 BST (UK) »
I have Perrys in my tree involved with pubs in Wiltshire - don't know if they are connected.  Elizabeth Perry married George Killard and he was shown as 'Publican' in High St, Malmsbury 1841 Census, and as "Inn Keeper" of The Bell Inn, Yatton Keynell in 1851.  Elizabeth's brother James Perry (married Frances Cole - her father was Inn Keeper of 'Red Lion' Yatton Keynell) was proprieter of 'Cardiff Arms' pub in 1871, and in 1881 was proprieter of "Queens Hotel" Cardiff.  Just thought I'd throw this into the mix in case of a Perry connection.
Kina

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 14:58 BST (UK) »
Kina,
Sorry don't recognise any of those links.All ours appear to be in Devizes.The Bell,The Castle and The Pelican and perhaps a couple more through marriage.No proof but it was almost as if by marrying between each other they controlled the business!
Good luck with your search. :)
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 January 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
To all who have offered help on this thread.
I have inherited a huge amount of research started in 1946 !
I can now understand the Perys of The Pelican who move to Southbroom after receiving a large inheritance. It is complicated by Perys marrying Perys but the inheritance includes a large family tree. At the moment I am trying to double check this with evidence.
If there are any Perrys out there from Devizes you may be linked to mine !
I also now have info as to whom some are interemarried to. I hope this may be of help to someone. Please ask if you think you may be related to the Perrys of Southbroom and previously of The Pelican. :)  :)  :)
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline Michael Fletcher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 July 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
I'm just looking at who worked in the Pelican in Devizes in the past and came across your interesting contribution. If some of this needs correcting or you have more details, please let me know.
---   
These are from local directories:
e.g Pigots 1822 ref : http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Items/Devizes/Devizes%20-%20Pigots%201822.pdf

Current Location       1822      1830       1842            1855
9 Market Place
Pelican Inn       Wm. Perry     Horatio Nelson  William Joyce   John Howse
                                                      Perry      
----   
I know that Thomas Perry was an innkeeper in 1793-8 (It may have been the pelican but can't prove it yet). However from

http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Items/Southbroom/Southbroom%20-%20Baptisms%201775-1799.pdf

Thomas Perry was the father of Horatio Nelson Perry (see 29th jan 1798 baptism).
---   
PS Southbroom is next to the Green in Devizes 3 roads east of Market Place.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael ,
Great to hear from you. Horatio Nelson Perry is one of my ancestors as is Thomas Perry.
I have inherited a huge amount of historical research that began in 1946 by my Aunt who was joined by my father around 1955.  Our direct ancestor is William Perry . Their lives and history are truly amazing. I became involved in supporting their research around twenty years ago and am now trying to correlate the two into one !
How are you linked to the Perrys ?
Look forward to hearing from you. As I now own the research I am willing to share and give you info on links.
Maggie
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth