Author Topic: Auchleach, Stoneykirk  (Read 13661 times)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Auchleach, Stoneykirk
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 May 13 06:12 BST (UK) »
The cottage I mentioned is shown on Old Maps if you zoom in to the west of  Low Auchleach

Kay

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 May 13 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Are you sure it's Auchleach and not Auchentibbert Cot House? There's a family (James) that looks very much like the one that you've described at Auchentibbert Cot House, Stoneykirk  in 1881

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 May 13 07:12 BST (UK) »
Ignore that - I think I've found the Cunningham family in -1881. They're listed as at Cot House, Auchbach*. It's probably a transcription error - will check again.

*Added - definitely Auchleach so would be in the Low Auchleach area
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Into every life a little sun must shine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 May 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
Kay99
Can't make the cottage out, but noticed a "High Auchleach" to the West of Low Auchenleach.
Catleugh - Cunningham - Welsh - Lewis - Lumsden - Lumley-Murdoch-Hoggan-Cowie-Lester-Amos-Pearson-Herbert-Spalding

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 May 13 19:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry - my eyesight!!  It is Auchenleach Cottage  to the east of High Auchleach

Kay

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 May 13 20:17 BST (UK) »
Kay99
Can't make the cottage out, but noticed a "High Auchleach" to the West of Low Auchenleach.

All the large scale (6 ins) 19th century OS maps  from the NLS show just ruins at High Auchleach. Low Auchleach seemed to be a mixture of housing and industrial buildings (can't remember what they were now). So, I'd bet on them being nearer to Low Auchleach.

Gadget

Offline Gomer pyle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
My family farmed low auchleach near ardwell from 1934 to 1991 I know it well there are 2 small cottages at the east side entrance to main farm , next the sea one of which was not built until 1960's .there was an old small workers cottage one third of way up the road between low auchleach and the ruins at high auchleach , this my father converted to calf house/ hay shed, it was last lived in by tractor man who was moved to new built cottage in late 1960's. The old cottage did not even have running water and was very basic, the worker had to use a hand pump down the road . My guess would be the family lived in that old cottage which is now a shed

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Into every life a little sun must shine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
My family farmed low auchleach near ardwell from 1934 to 1991 I know it well there are 2 small cottages at the east side entrance to main farm , next the sea one of which was not built until 1960's .there was an old small workers cottage one third of way up the road between low auchleach and the ruins at high auchleach , this my father converted to calf house/ hay shed, it was last lived in by tractor man who was moved to new built cottage in late 1960's. The old cottage did not even have running water and was very basic, the worker had to use a hand pump down the road . My guess would be the family lived in that old cottage which is now a shed

Many thanks.  Very interesting. I started this thread off about 4 years ago.  Pleased I kept watching it.
Catleugh - Cunningham - Welsh - Lewis - Lumsden - Lumley-Murdoch-Hoggan-Cowie-Lester-Amos-Pearson-Herbert-Spalding