Author Topic: William Urquhart Mackintosh  (Read 12585 times)

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Urquhart Mackintosh
« on: Thursday 16 May 13 05:58 BST (UK) »
This is my very first post. yesterday I looked at posts from Nairnshire, Scotland, but now can't get back to them - I've already seen them. How do I see them again?
So, my grandfather, William Urquhart Mackintosh was born 24.10.1874 in Tradespark, Nairn, Scotland. He left home at 14 (apparently 10-14 children in the family), he was a Gardener, and married Elizabeth Hart Lawson in Paisley in 1906 & they later emigrated to Australia 1924-25 with their children.
His parents were John Mackintosh and Margaret, nee Urquhart. I also have in my possession his brother Colin's birth certificate, b 30 May 1881 (however his father's name is spelt John McIntosh - I believe the names are interchangable), and a wooden box of Colin's with his name & birthdate written inside, and also 'Mrs J Mackintosh, 119 High Street, Nairn' - I presume his mother. I don't know how we came to be in possession of the box, as Colin emigrated to Canada. I believe there was also a brother Andrew, as well as other siblings whose names I don't know.
This is what I know as fact.
Several years ago (1993) a cousin (now deceased) sent me info to say that William Urquhart mackintosh's father, John McIntosh, stone mason's labourer, was born c 1835, and married Margaret Urquhart (b 1841), domestic servant, on 13 12 1861 in Nairn. (Margaret Urquhart was the daughter of Jon Urquhart and Emily Bain).
I was also told that John McIntosh's parent were Daniel Main Mackintosh, b 1811 in Nairn, Ticketed as a Merchant Seaman in 1845 . He was married to Anne Ross, and died 1854-61
I have since found  'matches' with another Daniel Main Mackintosh who married an Anne Ross, but he was born in 1822. Now I don't know what info to trust & how to go about finding it. Can anyone help please?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Urquhart Mackintosh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 13 06:16 BST (UK) »
This is my very first post. yesterday I looked at posts from Nairnshire, Scotland, but now can't get back to them - I've already seen them. How do I see them again?

Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Click on "Forum", on the black navigation banner above.
Then scroll down to Scotland.
Underneath Scotland-General, you will see each county mentioned.
Click on "Nairnshire"!

Alternatively, use the "Search" facility, if you know what you are looking for.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 May 13 06:39 BST (UK) »
To help, I will move this post to Nairnshire for you.   ;)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 13 06:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks, found nairnshire again - I was clicking on new, rather than Nairnshire - a hint for other newbies

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 May 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ozcaine

Welcome from me too  :)

How lucky you have been able to get so far, particularly with the help of your cousin in previous years.

Not sure how much documented material your cousin gathered as part of the research, or you. Have you looked at certficates of birth/marriage/death or entries from the Old Parish Registers, available to download from the offical pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Census information is also really useful as this provides an awful lot of information sometimes in one go and helps with figuring out (living) siblings etc and places of birth for everyone.

You mention that you are not sure on all of William's siblings names. You have parents' marriage date as 13 12 1861 in Nairn. So working from the next census in 1871:

John Mcintosh 32 agr. labourer b. Thurso, caithnessshire
Margaret Mcintosh 28 b. Nairn, Nairnshire
Daniel Mcintosh 9 b. Nairn, Nairnshire (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ65-CSQ)
John Mcintosh 7 b. Croy, invernessshire (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYTJ-G8Z)
George Mcintosh 3 b. Croy, invernessshire (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYTJ-GHD)
Andrew Mcintosh 2 b. Nairn, Nairnshire * (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ65-V46)
Address: Tradespark, Nairn Burgh

*Looks to be the second named son Andrew as first died in 1867 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYTJ-GVH

1881 Census entry below:

John McIntosh 42 Mason's lab
Margaret McIntosh 38
George McIntosh 13
Andrew McIntosh 12
Annie McIntosh 8 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQM1-B86
William McIntosh 6 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ65-KF7
Margaret McIntosh 2
James McIntosh 1
Address: 8 Tradespark, Nairn Burgh

Likely young Emily may not have lived long https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQM1-RJ7 as she doesn't show with family in 1881 (this can be confirmed on Scotlands People - SP).

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 May 13 10:17 BST (UK) »
1891 census for the family:

John MacIntosh 54 Mason's Labourer
Margaret M MacIntosh 48
Margaret MacIntosh 12
Colin MacIntosh 9 (from what you had, b 30 May 1881)
Robert MacIntosh 7
Address: Tradespark, Nairn Burgh

From the children's details we have so far, I count 12 which includes the early deaths of first born Andrew and Emily (t.b.c.). I think also given the gaps between some of the ages, likely another couple of early deaths of children there.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 May 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
Maybe another Emily might have been born later? Can't see her though in 1891 anywhere so not sure about her actual details, just what shows below:

1901:

Margaret Mackintosh 59 b. Nairn
Emily Mackintosh 18 daughter b. Nairn
Address:119 High Street, Nairn

Can't tell from this transcript whether Margaret shows as a widow by now. The death cert for John would be available to search and view on SP. The original census image is also available to view and download from SP.

The address of 119 High Street would certainly match the inscription you have on Colin's box.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 May 13 10:35 BST (UK) »

I was also told that John McIntosh's parent were Daniel Main Mackintosh, b 1811 in Nairn, Ticketed as a Merchant Seaman in 1845 . He was married to Anne Ross, and died 1854-61
I have since found  'matches' with another Daniel Main Mackintosh who married an Anne Ross, but he was born in 1822. Now I don't know what info to trust & how to go about finding it. Can anyone help please?

Have you actually been sent a copy of the marriage entry from SP for John and Margaret's marriage in 1861 in the past? What did that show regarding his parents? If there is any doubt, a good double check can also be the details on the death cert. (if the info is known to the informant).

Monica

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 May 13 10:43 BST (UK) »
Wow, Thanks so much Monica for your reply ;). I never thought so much would come of my enquiry. I've never used the pay per view system before, but will definitely give it a try.
My cousin did offer to send me copies of certificates, but it never eventuated. The census listing with the 119 High Street address definitely clinches things for me. a thousand thanks