Author Topic: Adelaide Finlay Elder (c1850-1913) Coleraine  (Read 26616 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Finlay Elder (c1850-1913) Coleraine
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
Williamsons were Claggan Cottage in the townland of Claggan (also known as Clagan)- house is little square on what is now called Clagan Park-
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/aghadowey/clagan/

You can compare modern map to historical image on this Griffith's Valuation site-
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

Bellas & Bellis same family just different spellings. Sarah Bellas married Hugh Williamson (son of Catherine Hunter & Hugh Williamson). Williamson & Bellas families also had property in Portstewart from memory.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nzirish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 15 October 17 01:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the confirmation of the location of the cottage - my cousin visited the area recently and was shown where it probably was - she has confirmed that it is where she went. We have a very old photo of the cottage on ancestry. Also, thanks for the link to the map. We are wondering about the close link of Hugh Bellis having seen his will to the Caskey daughters ( Sarah Jane and Eliza King), and are wondering if he and Jane also raised them - their mother (unknown Williamson) appears to have died young as not in the 1831 Census in Samuel Caskeys (died 1849) house in Church St Coleraine - there are no females listed, but 3 families. Thanks again for your help.
Caskeys are another family we don't know much about either!

Offline dunbought49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Family first names can be so interesting. I have just found this conversation on Adelaide Finlay Elder and can add one more to your collection. My grandmother is Elizabeth Torrens Calwell daughter of Jane Maria McVicker and John Torrens Calwell .My great grandparents married in 1872 and had 8 children 5 daughters Gelston Sarah Calwell (1872-1883); Elizabeth Torrens Calwell (1877-1959) moved to Scotland on marriage had 9 children; Graham Isabella Elder Calwell(1880-1953 unmarried); Adelaide Finlay Elder Calwell (1882-1969) moved to New Zealand married Thomas Elliot and had 3 children and Jane Maria Calwell (1887-1995) moved to New Zealand married Hugh Shaw and had 4 children
they had 2 sons James Edmonston McVicker Calwell (1875-1955) who moved to Australia and then New Zealand and had 2 children; John Torrens Calwell (1884-1954) who moved to NSw Australia and had one child possible 2.
thank you all for your information which has helped to clarify my confusion

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 29 April 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Dunbought49
We must be related!  Jane Maria McVicker is my 1st cousin 3 times removed, I believe.  Her grandfather was Rev Matthew Elder, from whom my line descends - he is my 3x great grandfather,
I didn't realise some of the family moved to New Zealand.  Isabella's brother moved to Australia and died there (in Melbourne). in 1869.  He left 2 little girls who were raised by Jane Elder and Hugh Bellis. One of them was Adelaide Finlay Elder, my great grandmother.
I am very happy to share any information I have on the early Elders, if that would be of any interest.  And I am delighted to read your post.  One query I have: my notes show a spelling of 'Colwell' not 'Calwell' - have I got it hopelessly wrong or this another case of ambiguity of data capture of the time?
So lovely to hear from you
Gail

Moorhead - Carnew, Lisnaward & Garvaghy
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Elder - Ballymoney, Coleraine, Portstewart
Kennedy - Coleraine & Knock, Belfast
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline dunbought49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 30 April 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
Delighted to hear from you and for the information you have given me. I only discovered about other Adelaide Finlay Elder's yesterday when my brother sent me a link to this program but could not resist replying. I would love to share any information you have on the Elder family. We have no living relatives of my grandmothers family in Ireland. I found Isabella's marriage details on Belfast news on ancestry and wrote to Kilraught's church and then to S.A Blair who gave me some more info and told me to read his book on the church history. Do you happen to have it?. I would love to have your family info. My great aunt Graham Isabella Elder Calwell had a framed copy of Rev. James Elder' obituary in 1843 so I have been looking for his connection for 20 odd years but have a few variations. the spelling of Calwell causes some problems All of my ancestors from Andrew Calwell use this spelling but his father used spelling Caldwell. I only discovered this when an American descendant contacted me a couple of years ago those that went there continued to use Caldwell. My grandparents moved to Scotland in 1894 and we are still here in small numbers.
thank you for replying

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 10:45 BST (UK) »
Would you pm me your email address, so I can send you a couple of documents?
G
Moorhead - Carnew, Lisnaward & Garvaghy
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Elder - Ballymoney, Coleraine, Portstewart
Kennedy - Coleraine & Knock, Belfast
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline dunbought49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 24 May 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail
I received the Matthew Elder  tree and some stuff on Thomas G Elder and Matthew elder.
I have just found your message tonight - my password would not work. I was looking for your emails when I found this.
the wifi was not very good at Chorley and I have been busy cleaning washing etc in this good weather so Have not been on the computer much. Watching Chelsea flower show this week.
I don't know what I did but I seemed to have sent you a response without writing anything.
Regards Anna