Author Topic: Adelaide Finlay Elder (c1850-1913) Coleraine  (Read 26612 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Finlay Elder (c1850-1913) Coleraine
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 May 13 23:37 BST (UK) »
Now, I think that...

Thomas Graham Elder (died 1869 Melbourne, Australia) married (1846) Margaret White. Possibly 3 children-
1) Margaret Elder (c1848) married Henry O'Neill. Portstewart & had family (including a daughter Jane Bellis O'Neill)
2) Adelaide Finlay Elder (c1850) m.(1886) James Hay, Coleraine.
3) son (1852).

It may be that Margaret (White) Elder died shortly after the birth of the son & that he also died although I haven't found deaths for either yet. Would be interesting to know when Thomas Graham Elder went to Australia (after 1852 going by the legal notice) but likely the 2 daughters were left in care of Aunt Jane Bellis (if Thomas was in a dispute with sister Isabella McVicker that may be why it was Jane).

(The Elder homestead in Bellury is still standing although has been vacant for a number of years.)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 May 13 00:02 BST (UK) »
This might be where Adelaide got Finlay as a middle name- "Mr Love's successor, the Rev. Samuel Finlay, was the tenant of a farm at Pinehill and he played a leading part, with many of his congregation, in the Tenant Right Campaign which eventually enabled tenant farmers to become the owners of their farms. Greatly beloved, nearly every family had a son named Samuel Finlay. When Mr. Finlay died in 1887 he left his farm to the congregation as a manse. It was used as such for a short time but was later purchased by Kilraughts Reformed Presbyterian Church, becoming the manse of that congregation."
http://www.firstkilraughts.org.uk/history.html

Added- Rev. Finlay installed in Kilraughts 1850 around the time Adelaide was born. Tried to check Valuation Revision books on PRONI site but not working at the moment.

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 May 13 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks you, Aghadowey - that's absolutely terrific!   :D
I've just checked PRONI's list of church records and I'm in luck - 1st Kilraughts Presbyterian records are on film there for 1846 marriages, so I'm very hopeful I'll find an image and be able to confirm this connection next time I'm there.
BTW if there's ever anything I can look up for you there, please just let me know.  I go quite regularly and I would very much like to return the favour - you have been so very generous with your time and information.
Thanks again.
Gail
Moorhead - Carnew, Lisnaward & Garvaghy
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Elder - Ballymoney, Coleraine, Portstewart
Kennedy - Coleraine & Knock, Belfast
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 May 13 16:45 BST (UK) »
Should the 1846 marriage fit then I've LOTS on the Elder family (too much to post here). If you get this direction and want to see the Elder place let me know - I've got keys to part of the property and can get the keys for the house  :) If I can remember to bring the camera with me, and it's not pouring rain, will see if I can get some photos soon.

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 May 13 16:30 BST (UK) »
I needed something a lot stronger than a cup of tea after reading all that family drama!!
What you have unravelled beggars belief, and I don't know where to begin to thank you.
My mother will be completely fascinated and that gives me great pleasure, so I thank you on her behalf too.
I have a little information on James and Thomas Elder's people:
John (1) Elder, b 1660 Midlothian
His son, John (2) Elder born 1690, Co Antrim
His 2 sons: John (3) Elder born 1720 in Ballymoney & Henry Elder born 1735 (Henry had a son, Matthew in 1775, in Londonderry)
John (3) Elder had 4 children: ?daughter married ?Bond; John W (4) Elder born 1752; James Elder ('Gunner') born Dec 1757 & Thomas Elder born 1797 in Ballymoney.
This information was compiled by an Elder clan in America so I'm afraid I cannot verify authenticity - where information is duplicated on their site, though, it does match the info you've just sent.
I am so happy I thought to post a message on RootsChat - what a lucky break!
Many, many thanks.  You should probably go and lie down in a darkened room now....
Gail
I have to ask:  could we be distantly related?
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 May 13 17:03 BST (UK) »
Have lots more on Elders (probably not as far back as 1660 Scotland) but will take a little while to get it typed out in a logical format. Almost of all it wouldn't be available online so if you'd like more information do let me know.
Glad that you mother will also enjoy reading through the information posted so far. We aren't related but will send a PM later explaining the connections to the Williamsons & Ballas family and with the Elder's farm at Bellury.

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 May 13 17:42 BST (UK) »
I won't trouble you with amassing extraneous Elder family history, Aghadowey - I'm honestly thrilled with what you have sent already.  My hope was to gather this info while Mum was still around to enjoy it, and determining the connection between Adelaide F Elder and 'Gunner' Elder for her was one of my goals.
Thanks to you, I'm there.
I couldn't be more grateful.   :)
Gail
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 May 13 22:01 BST (UK) »
Me again, Aghadowey!
At risk of making a complete nuisance of myself, could I try and clear up something with you, please?

I have unearthed a photocopied Fasti page (from PRONI) which details Rev Matthew & Rev Henry Elder as brothers, and sons of Matthew Elder, a farmer near Garvagh.  This must be the Rev Matthew you refer to as the dates match: 1767-1827.
Rev James Elder, however, is quoted in this same document as the 1st son of John Elder, farmer, Ballury, Garvagh.  Again, I know it's the same James Elder because the dates match.
Which means this Matthew Elder and this Rev James "Gunner" Elder couldn't have been half-brothers.
So, I'm wondering if I've got the right Matthew Elder for Adelaide's grandfather?
Am I missing something really obvious and being an idiot? (not beyond the realms of possibility, I have to admit!)
Would your sources be able to shed any more light?
As always, I am so grateful for your help.
Gail

Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 May 13 23:59 BST (UK) »
Very interesting- will go back through my Elder notes (am still typing them all out) and let you know what I find (or don't find).