Author Topic: Seeking information about Knossingham and/or the Rawlings family please.  (Read 14209 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking information about Knossingham and/or the Rawlings family please.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 May 13 01:33 BST (UK) »
Looking at early census again, I don't think that Joseph and Mary Ann were William's parents - that William is shown as born in Oakham itself, not Braunston.

However, I don't think you'll be happy with what I have found.

1851 Census - Edith Weston, Rutland - ref. HO107 - 2092 - 186 - 16

Mary Ann Ablett   W.    34     Pauper     B. Braunston
William Rawlings    son   14  Illegitimate          b. Braunston
Rudkin Ablett   son   6             b.Edith Weston
Ruth Ablett      dau.  3             b. Edith Weston

Found Mary and William in 1841 but he is listed as Ablett:

1841 Census - Edith Weston, Rutland - ref. HO107 - 896 - 2 - 9 - 15

Edward Ablett   65
Ann Ablett 70
Rudkin Ablett 25
Mary Ablett  20
William Ablett  4
James Perry   1

So looks now as if William Rawlings was the illegitimate son of a Mary Ann Rawlings who married a Rudkin Ablett sometime after his birth.   Rudkin Ablett death recorded Dec.qtr.1847 Oakham.

Details from one of William's marriage certificates even more important now - if no father shown then would confirm the above.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaahda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 May 13 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for these replies.
And Carole - can I just clarify ....are you saying that all of the english BMD > 1837 is online at FindMyPast? So that in other words if I cannot find something it is because I may need more advanced 'finding skills'?
I do find it hard untangling Census info at times - being that I find people who are obviously the same person as on a previous Census with a different name or year of birth or birthplace etc.

Going away for the weekend now - so will get back to digesting this info when I get back.
Meanwhile - thanks to both of you.
Yorkshire - Johnson, Rawlings, Bland, Lumley,
Lancs - Tomany, Chisholm.
Fraserburgh - Watt, Sim, Fraser, Noble, Lascelles.
NE Scotland - Davidson, Dalgarno.
Glasgow/Lanark - Tomany, Davidson.
Ireland - Tomany, Canning, Hughes, Donelly, Nevil.
Rutland - Charity, Rawlings.
N.England - Ede, Marlow.
Queensland - Day, Winterford.
In General - Tomany

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 May 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
can I just clarify ....are you saying that all of the english BMD > 1837 is online at FindMyPast? So that in other words if I cannot find something it is because I may need more advanced 'finding skills'?

More unusual surnames sometimes require a bit of "creative thinking" if you can't find them on first attempt

I don't use FindMyPast but it probably works the same way as Ancestry in that you can use "wildcard" searches (eg)  I may be looking for James Berryman born in Liverpool Lancashire 1860

I can't find him under that profile

So I try as follows:

james berr*man  - still no luck
james ber**man - still can't find him
james b*rryman - and find him as Barryman

If I couldn't have found him that way - I would have searched on James b Liverpool 1860 +-2yrs and scrolled through the results

It's a question of trial and error and eventually you get used to thinking outside the box
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 May 13 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaadha
Welcome to rootchat.

Many of my lines are Rutland and Leicester based. Knossington is bordering Rutland/Leicester so you may find both are mentioned at times, my great grandparents both born in villages in Rutland, lived in Braunstone and move and lived in Knossington all their lives.

These will give you details about Knossington
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22058
http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/knossington/
and a map which may help you get your bearings where it is and village's around
http://www.maplandia.com/united-kingdom/england/east-midlands/rutland/knossington/

It is never easy looking at records elsewhere than what you are used to, I feel the same when 'one of mine' move to a county I don't know so well.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 May 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
HI.

On the Northants Baptism Indexes is Mary Charity's.

Laxton C of E [BT Entry]
29-Apr 1838
Mary CHARITY  to Edward & Catharine of Laxton labourer

Sandy 
Census Crown Copyright

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 May 13 21:25 BST (UK) »
I am hugely impressed by the amount of information some very skilled and helpful posters have given on this enquiry.

Like others I have relatives who lived in the small village of Knossington which is in Leicestershire but most of their BMD records were registered in Oakham, the nearest town, but which happens to be over the border in the county of Rutland.

There is also a reference to "Braunstone" above which might cause confusion because of the final 'e'. There is a village called Braunston in Rutland which is south-west of Oakham and quite close to Knossington as well. However, there is also a place called Braunstone on the edge of Leicester which is 15-20 miles away. Another Braunston (again without a final 'e') can be found in the adjacent county of Northamptonshire. So if you were searching for the Rutland village you need to omit the 'e' at the end.

cheers 

Offline Jaahda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 06:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

Annette - I cannot find a birth entry for William born bet 1834 - 1836 in the Parish records on FindMyPast, FreeGen or on Family Search. Does this perhaps point even more to his birth being illegitimate (hence hidden)?
I did however find something else confusing on the LDS site - I found a marriage entry for William and Mary Jane Charity - in LINCOLNSHIRE!! ( "England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXQ7-SRT : accessed 21 May 2013), Edward Charity in entry for William Rawlings and Mary Jane Charity, 1865).

AND - on this record he is listed a born in 1835 - despite on the 1881 Census being listed as being born 1834 and on both the 1861 and 1871 Census being born in 1836. Hmm.

Does it ever happen that people may get married in Church then later go to register the marriage at the GRO - in a different location?

Things can be so confusing!!

Jaahda :-)
N.England - Ede, Marlow.
In General - Tomany

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
LDS website although helpful is a mixture of collected/donated data and records ( those with images) and doesn't consistantly cover an area, so lots of missed completely and the link you are looking at is IGI which is collected/donated not a record, many I have found are spurious information........ to make sure you need to look in the parish record books.

In Rutland alone you will find 'Charity's' and lots of them living in Empingham, Greetham and Stamford ( Lincs) and that is only from my own branch line research.

Have you checked the 1841 census to see if where the family is and if they were born 'in county' or not ??? The the 1851 to find out where they were born.

As for illegitimatacy, either the women was sent away to stay with family elsewhere or like many stayed in the village and almost certainly at that time the child was baptised and it will show in the PRs either the fathers name if known or base born, if the father took responsibility or the family/mother worked and didn't ask for parish releif, if she did then you are looking at Poor law records and bastardy bonds.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Jaahda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
Poor law records or bastardry bonds? How do I access those?

I did manage to find Mary Jane's family on the 1841 Census and one of the problems I am finding with these Rutland people is that they seem to often cross the border to get married etc LOL. I always have my google maps and genuki by my side - though nothing is as good as a local geographic knowledge - which of course I don't have.

Thanks for your information and help,

Jaahda
N.England - Ede, Marlow.
In General - Tomany