Author Topic: NSW PASTORAL PROPERTIES (WENTWORTH) - Employee records?  (Read 5274 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NSW PASTORAL PROPERTIES (WENTWORTH) - Employee records?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 06:53 BST (UK) »
Marriage of James ROBINSON and Hannah SLADE, reg 1873, #4207, Wentworth NSW

This marriage certificate should give you his birthplace and parent names.  A transcription is cheaper than buying from NSW BMDs and costs about $20.  There are 3 registered transcription agents listed on the website - they are all very good.
https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/familyhistory.aspx#Askafamilyhistorytranscriptionagent

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry but they give no references for James and Hannah before their marriage although they suggest that Hannah was born in South Australia. One of the trees has Hannah dying in UK when clearly her death was registered in Wentworth in 1885, and their child George's death registration number is close to that of Hannah.

I'm adding to the comments above re the Charles  ROBINSON whose headstone is in the photo on my previous post. 

This seems to be the death registration for the man on the headstone:

Charles R BRADSHAW, registration: 10855/1880, Wentworth
parents William, Rebecca

There is a death registration for another man with the surname ROBINSON who seems to have drowned also in the Murray:
1885 #14794, registered Wentworth
Charles H ROBINSON, 28, died Murray River, WENTWORTH

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 07:16 BST (UK) »
TROVE has an account of this drowning which seems to be the Charles H ROBINSON whose death is registered 1885.

He seems to have been the owner of a river-boat.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/198388189

Oh how sad - the child he had tried to save was also drowned.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/160734694
Walter H ROBINSON, registered: 14796/1885, Wentworth
Parents: Charles H, Mary

Death notice for Charles BRADSHAW, drowned 29 January 1880 
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60095903

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have not yet placed your James at either Gol Gol or at Para, but I am still searching through my offline resources.

I can see a chap named James ROBINSON, at Cowl Cowl, in 1878.  This is closer to Hay than I had anticipated, but still within the same electorate as Wentworth.

NSW Electoral Roll 1878, (Electorate of) BALRANALD (which includes the much extensive Police District of Oxley and a number of other police districts too, including Wentworth)
James ROBINSON, Cowl Cowl, residence, Lachlan River, Oxley P.D.

I have not yet found anyone with surname SLADE on the 1870 or 1878 electoral rolls for Balranald.

still looking  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 07:20 BST (UK) »

I have not yet found anyone with surname SLADE on the 1870 or 1878 electoral rolls for Balranald.

JM

Of possible interest. Death.

SLADE William
10884/1880
Age 65 Yrs
At WENTWORTH

Hannah's (nee SLADE) father at her death is stated as William.

ROBINSON Hannah
14793/1885
Parents William & Anne
At WENTWORTH

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
Biographical index of South Australia has the following information about William SLADE.

Born c. 1815 Ireland. Died 15/12 1880 in Wentworth NSW.

Arrived 'Rajsthan" 1840. Occ. Shepherd.Lived at Harrogate, Monarto. Religion, Presbyterian.
Married 25/8/1843  at Adelaide, SA to Sarah Lo'vanberyl, parents John and Mary born 1826. Died 15/7/1903 at Murray Bridge SA.
Children, Mary (1844). Wm John (1836- 1937).Thos (1848-)Sarah (1850-) Hannah (1853-). Jane Gogel ( 1855-1881). Emma 1857). Friend Hedman Allgood (1859 --1822). Geo (1862 1955). Harriett (1864). Eliz (1867-1939)

This information would seem to be the basis of the assertion on the Ancestry family tree mentioned above, that Hannah was born in SA.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebTiziani

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 September 18 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith, the Robinsons you refer to in the drowning incident aren't my Robinsons, but thank you for the information.  Deb

Offline DebTiziani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 September 18 07:37 BST (UK) »

JM

Of possible interest. Death.

SLADE William
10884/1880
Age 65 Yrs
At WENTWORTH

Hannah's (nee SLADE) father at her death is stated as William.

ROBINSON Hannah
14793/1885
Parents William & Anne
At WENTWORTH

Sue

Sue these are my Slade's.  William my 2nd Great Grandfather, Hannah is daughter who was the first wife of my 2nd Great Grandfather, James Robinson, and her sister Harriet, James's second wife after Hannah's death.  I have the extract from the book that is about the ship the Slade's immigrated to Australia on.

Offline DebTiziani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 September 18 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have not yet placed your James at either Gol Gol or at Para, but I am still searching through my offline resources.

I can see a chap named James ROBINSON, at Cowl Cowl, in 1878.  This is closer to Hay than I had anticipated, but still within the same electorate as Wentworth.

NSW Electoral Roll 1878, (Electorate of) BALRANALD (which includes the much extensive Police District of Oxley and a number of other police districts too, including Wentworth)
James ROBINSON, Cowl Cowl, residence, Lachlan River, Oxley P.D.

JM

Hi JM, between 1877 and 1880 James and Hannah were living in Monarto and Wentworth, how far would this property you have found a James living be from Wentworth, that is where a child was born around this time? On the wedding certificate of James and Hannah, it says Gol Gol Station.  Don't know how long he was there for as this is the first record I can find of him in Australia so far.  Deb

Offline DebTiziani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 May 20 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hi JM, you mentioned that you had found records of a James Robinson at Cowl Cowl Station, can you provide a link on where these records are please?  I only just found your messages again, i hope you can assist?  Thank you Deb