Author Topic: Thomson from PrestonPans  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Karen Markwick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomson from PrestonPans
« on: Sunday 19 May 13 08:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking for confirmed marriaged to Mary Buchan ,  and what children William had

William Thomson - William was born 1815 in Preston Pans, and he died 1891 in North Berwick
Was a Fisherman
William was father to Mary Kelly Nee Thomson born 1837 Prestonpans  we thinkwilliam was married to Mary Buchan

1861 Census listed as Head of the house, living at the Harbour North Berwick  with young Married daughter Mary and son in law George who were in their early 20s with a two year old son named James

in 1871 The Family had moved to Shore street,  listed as Lodger and now George Kelly Son In law is Head of the house

1881 census Mary Kelly nee Thomson is widowed  and her  family at 9 Harriot Place - North Berwick.  This time Mary is head of the house and William her Dad is listed as boarder.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson from PrestonPans
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 May 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have you viewed William's death certificate on Scotlands People website? That should have his wife's name recorded (depending on the knowledge of the person who registered his death).

Think I may have found the family on 1841 Census - they appear to be living in a large household with another couple called Gourlay and another family called Blackie (also fisher folk) at Cockenzie in the district of Tranent East Lothian.

William age  30 Fisherman
Mary    age  35
and 7 children - Peter  12    Alexander  9    Janet Grant 8     Jane  7 
                       Mary    4     William   2       David 8 mths
also a Jane Thomson age 60 ( perhaps William's mother).
All are born in East Lothian and no family relationships are noted in the 1841 Census :(.

Looby   

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 May 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Just found the family in 1851 too!
Check out www.freecen.org.uk  and key in William Thomson age 42 in County of East Lothian for that year's Census.
You'll find the family still at Cockenzie in Tranent district with wife Mary conveniently listed with her maiden name of Buchan :D.
There are also 3 more children - George 8   Ann 5 and Archibald  2.

Offline Karen Markwick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 May 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much,  a mere amateur am I.  Very excited that I have Scottish ancestry.  I had done quite well with the Kelly's .  Mary Thomson born 1837 married a George Kelly in North Berwick,  As a couple with a growing Family ,  Mary always seems to have her Dad William Living with her.  So Mary Buchan Must have died quite early on ,  bit not sure what happened to all of Mary Thomson s Siblings.

I found them in 1861, 1871, & 1881 census  .   George Kelly Came and went ( Not sure when )  But Mary Kelly nee Thomson and her Dad William spent a long while together.  All census puts William and Mary as being born in Prestonpans and fisherman

Offline Karen Markwick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 May 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
I know I have the right William Thomson listed  in the 1861 census he is age 55 born in PrestonPan Head of House hold and a Fishermen living at the Harbour North Berwick
Listed as living with him George Kelly age 21 and Mary Kelly age 22  Born Prestonpans and James Kelly age 2

1871 Census
William Thomas is now age 65 and a Lodger born Prestonpans, fisherman living with Mary ( Wife) & George Kelly ( Head)  now living at Shore street North Berwick Children James age 12, William age 10, Janet age 8, George age 5, John age 3, Richard age 1

1881 Census  - George Kelly is no longer alive

Moderator - Removed details of 1881 census as cut and pasted, against Rootschat guidelines.

I'm a bit concerned that William Thomas according to our census has been born 1811, 1809, 1806 and 1818.  Is that Normal?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 May 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,
Ages on all Censuses can vary!
 At the 1841 Scottish Census, I believe, adults were told to round their ages up or down to the nearest 0 or 5 - invariably many people are recorded as 20/25/30/35 and so on :D.
So William could have been in his late 20's or early 30's at that time.
Also remember unlike today when we all remember our birthdays and our families birthdates, people then didn't keep records or celebrate them like we do. Therefore it was not unusual to be uncertain of yours or your other half's D.O.B.
What could happen was that an enumerator called at the door to collect the data and he wrote down what the person who answered the door told him - hence names could be mispelled, names can vary from Census to Census i.e. Elizabeth/ Eliza/ Betty and years of birth can go up and down.
The info was only as accurate as the person who provided it.
But you have a clue as to William's mother's name Jane/Jean Thomson and he has been consistent in giving Prestonpans as his place of birth.
I assume you have descended from Mary Kelly/Thomson?

Looby

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 May 13 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I come from the Prestonpans/Cockenzie area, and I can tell you William Thomson, is a very popular name there, and are still associated with fishing yet,so you are correct to be wary of the age changes, maybe they are different people.

In FreeReg, between 1801 and 1820, there are 5 William Thomson's with dates of birth in Prestonpans between 1801 and 1820, so it is correct to be wary.

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 May 13 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hiya,
William aged 30 in 1841  and William aged 42 in 1851 are one and the same man. His wife and his children are all listed with ages agreeing within a year from previous Census.
I haven't seen 1861/71/81 but Karen seemed quite confident it was the man she was looking for as he was living with his daughter Mary Kelly (nee. Thomson) and her husband George. His age is listed in 1861 as 55, in 1871 he's 65 and finally in 1881 (with his daughter now a widow) he's 70.
I understand your concern, some names, places, ages and occupations can all be similar to someone else's ( my own family and area has more John Wilsons than I can shake a stick at!! ;D).
Looby