Author Topic: re Camerons  (Read 20610 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: re Camerons
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 May 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
Gold Star, Looby  ;) Your comments re Fintry and Fintray...

How about this entry from 1851:

Allan Cameron 54 sawyer b. Fintry, Stirlingshire
Mary Cameron 51 b. Kilmallie
Catherine Cameron 15 b. Polladras (?spl), Renfrewshire
Ewen Henderson 6 grandson b. Kilmallie

Address: 6 Drimnasallie, Kilmallie

Monica

Well done Monica....that looks more like them! ;D

Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 May 13 11:52 BST (UK) »
Just had a quick look and found a birth for Ewen Henderson ( age is naturally slightly out ???) to an Angus Henderson and Mary Cameron at Kilmallie on 27 Feb 1831 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYZN-H9Q
Could this be the Grandson on the 1851 Census entry Monica found.
Looby

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 May 13 15:10 BST (UK) »
Monica.
There is a birth on Family Search of a Joan Cameron christened 6th Aug 1825 to an Allan Cameron and Mary Mcphee (which fits with the elderly Sarah McPhee living with that family in 1841) at Kilmallie Argyll ???

Looby

Children baptised to the same couple in Kilmallie.

Christian 1819
Mary Ann 1827
Elizabeth 1830
Sarah 1832

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 May 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
Monica.
There is a birth on Family Search of a Joan Cameron christened 6th Aug 1825 to an Allan Cameron and Mary Mcphee (which fits with the elderly Sarah McPhee living with that family in 1841) at Kilmallie Argyll ???

Looby

Children baptised to the same couple in Kilmallie.

Christian 1819
Mary Ann 1827
Elizabeth 1830
Sarah 1832

Sharon

Don't think these are the people Julienne's looking for :(. The mother is Mary Mcphee. The mother of Catherine Campbell was a Mary Boyd.
Looby

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 May 13 15:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, I know.

Posted them as they look like the family in the 1841 census posted by Monica.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 May 13 20:23 BST (UK) »
Just had a quick look and found a birth for Ewen Henderson ( age is naturally slightly out ???) to an Angus Henderson and Mary Cameron at Kilmallie on 27 Feb 1831 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYZN-H9Q
Could this be the Grandson on the 1851 Census entry Monica found.
Looby

Cancel this post!! :-[
I thought we had found a 6 year old Ewen on the 1841 Census and thought this 1831 birth could at a stretch fit. On re-checking I've noticed young Ewen Henderson grandson is on the 1851 Census so therefore could not be born in 1831! Different Ewen Henderson ;D
Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 May 13 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Decided to try a different route on the 1841 Census and look at the name Boyd in the Kilmallie area (where Mary Boyd was reputedly born) and BINGO!
Found a family listed  at Corrybeg-
BOYD     Donald     age 78         Agricultural Labourer     Born Invernesshire (originally Argyllshire)
BOYD     Marjory    age 72                                                            ditto
  -          Alexr        age 35         Agricultural Labourer                     ditto
  -          Isabella     age 26                                                             "
  -          Donald      age 18m                                                          "
CAMERON Mary        age 42                                                            "
  -            Mary        age 12                                                            "
  -            Sarah      age 10                                                             "
  -           Catherine  age 6                                                               "

The symbol - indicates that no surname has been recorded for these people. Hence the reason a search for Catherine Cameron was not turning her up.  Also all people are recorded as born Invernesshire  ???  but that may not be completely accurate.
So, could this be Mary Cameron and daughters living with Mary's family?As usual no family relationships are noted on 1841 Census, so we can only presume that Donald and Marjory are man and wife etc. And if this is Mary and girls where is Allan and son Ewen ( or was the Ewen who emigrated to Australia in 1853 actually Allan and Mary's grandson)? Oooh lots of question yet? ;D

And of course, it might not be them at all.

Looby

p.s Wonder if Sarah and Susan are the same person. Was the name interchangeable?  ???

Offline granbinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 May 13 02:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies. Ewen was aged 9 on emigration papers,Catherine was aged 18, Susan was older.
Alans parents were I believe Susan Hunter &Ewen.
I am in Melbourne this week &I did not bring any info with me.
Will check out when get home but what info you have sent looks right to me. There are so many Camerons on the bdms in victoria I cannot figure out which are mine. Julienne

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 May 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Somerled MacMillan's book "Bygone Lochaber" mentions a Sarah MacPhee b. 12 June 1784 dau' of Fort William feuar Donald MacPhee & wife Isabella.
The three MacPhee branches in Lochaber, Achnasaul, Muick & Sallachan are all related, their burial ground was on St Columba's Isle in Loch Arkaig, those from Coul in Glendessary (another bothy) are buried in Kilmallie kirkyard and others in the MacPhee burial ground at Loch Beorid.
Ewan Ban MacPhee of Corriebuie was  apparently the last outlaw in Scotland, he & his wife took to living on MacPhee's Island on Loch Quoich which they both defended with firearms.
Drimsallie was the seat of Cameron of Kinlocheil possibly the mill there was a sawmill.
You might get this book online or from the Lochaber Museum.

Skoosh.