Author Topic: Thomas Lowe Beckbury and Shifnal  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Lowe Beckbury and Shifnal
« on: Thursday 23 May 13 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone can help with my inquiry.
Thomas Lowe was baptised 19th August 1781 Codsall to parents Edward Lowe & Ann Read. In 1817 we find Thomas in financial difficulty:

Leeds Intelligencer, Monday 3rd Feb 1817
BANKRUPTS (with the description copied from the London Gazette, Sat Jan 18)
Thomas Lowe, formerly of Codsall, in the county of Stafford, but now at Beckbury in the county of Salop, corn-dealer d.c. (Feb 12, 13 at the Star Hotel Shiffnal, March 8 at the Bradford Arms, Ivetfy Bank (Att. Brown Shiffnal)

I believe the following baptisms to be Thomas's children: Frances D Lowe (also states born June 1813), Edward S Lowe, William S Lowe, Thomas S Lowe. All baptised on the same day at Codsall 12th October 1818. Mother is given as "Mary".

Then we have:
Louisa Lowe baptised 12th March 1822 Beckbury
Joseph Lowe baptised 22nd February 1824 Beckbury
Again parents are Thomas and Mary.

I have no doubt all children are siblings and the children of the same Thomas Lowe because I have the will of Joseph Lowe, Draper of Shifnal, proved 21st Feb 1857. He is a bachelor and leaves everything to his mother (unnamed) and sisters Frances Barker and Louisa Butterton.

Frances Lowe married John Barker (a minister) at Shifnal in 1839
Louisa Lowe married John Butterton (an artist) at Shifnal in 1850

On the '51 census Louisa states she is born Beckbury 1824 and in 1855 leaves for Philadelphia with husband and settles in New Jersey
Frances Barker states on various censuses she is born Shifnal and the '91 census Wellington she is born 1813 Beckbury.

In the '41 Census Shifnal, we find Mary Lowe (spelt LAWE), baker,  age 50 living with daughter Louisa. Also living with them is Lydia Scarratt. On the same page we have Ann Edmonds (stationer), living with Fanny Scarratt.

In the '51 Census Shifnal, Frances Barker, daughter of Thomas and Mary Lowe is visiting the above mentioned Ann Edmonds who is still a stationer.
In the '61 Census Shifnal, Frances Barker is now a widow and it seems she has taken over the above business as she is now a "stationer".

I thought the Lowe women were very chummy with the Scarratt women. I suspected Ann Edmonds may have been a Scarratt and sure enough:
Ann Scarrott married Amos Edmonds 7th November 1822 Shifnal.

So this is my theory: I suspect that Ann Scarratt, Lydia Scarratt, Fanny Scarratt and Mary Lowe are all sisters

I did find the following two births:
Mary Scarrot baptised 22nd October 1781 Ashton Street Baptist Shifnal, parents William and Ann.
Ann Scarrott baptised 25th June 1783 Ashton Street Shifnal, father, William.

I was hoping to find Lydia and Fanny on later censuses to determine if they were unmarried sisters or in fact sisters-in-law, but they died:
Fanny Scarott died Shifnal , Sep quarter 1848.
Lydia Scarott died Shifnal , March quarter 1851.

In the '51 Census Shifnal, Mary Lowe is now a confectioner, aged 68, born Shifnal. She is a widow and suspect she would have been in '41 also as there was no sign of husband Thomas. In the '51 Census, age 78, proprietor of houses and born Bridgnorth. She doesn't appear on the censuses after this and I have narrowed her death down to two:
Mary Lowe died Wellington, Shropshire 1865 September Quarter Vol 6a, Page 544 (daughter Frances was living here in '81 and '91) or
Mary Lowe died 1862 Newport, Shropshire June Quarter Vol 6a Page 491.

There is a death of a Thomas Lowe, Shifnal 1838 June Quarter Vol 18 Page 121. We know he was alive when Joseph was born Beckbury 1824, so his death is somewhere between 1824 and '41.

My problem is I can't find an appropriate marriage to a Mary. You would expect it to be local if Mary is from Shifnal/Bridgnorth as stated on the censuses. Three of the children have the middle initial S. None of them have an R for Read after the paternal grandmother, so could the S be after the moher's surname? I would love for it to be "Mary Scarratt". There is a marriage of a Thomas Lowe to a Mary Sennott at Aston Juxta Birmingham 24th June 1813. Sennott kind of looks like Scarratt and we know what can happen with transcription errors, but why would they travel to Birmingham to marry?

So, who did Thomas Lowe marry, and when did Thomas die? If all else fails, details should be on Mary Lowe's death certificate, but which one should I order? Would there be any headstone transcriptions available? 

I would be so grateful for any assistance with my dilemma!

Deb (Sydney, Australia)

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lowe Beckbury and Shifnal
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 13 14:10 BST (UK) »
Back again! Just looked for Mary Lowe on the England Probate, found her :D Said she died Wellington Shropshire 25th November 1870. Daughter Frances was Executrix. Can't believe I discounted the entry on free BMD, can remember seeing it a few days ago but dismissed it when I saw the death age, silly me. Must have been too tired at the time! Am I correct in thinking I can now get this will from Lichfield and will definitely get the death certificate. Hopefully will soon be able to determine which Mary Thomas married. If only finding Thomas's death was as easy as finding Mary's!

Deb

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Have just solved part of my puzzle! Have just learnt that the marriage in Warwickshire:
Thomas Lowe to a Mary Sennott at Aston Juxta Birmingham 24th June 1813 is actually the correct one! Sennott is a transcription error and the the bride's surname is actually Scarrott, with Fanny Scarrott as the witness. So my theory has proved correct!

All I hope to find now is Thomas Lowe's death in Shifnal between 1824 and 1840. If anyone can access the burial/death records for this time span I would be most grateful. The death
Thomas Lowe Shifnal 1838 June quarter is looking promising.

Am slowly putting together the pieces of my puzzle!

Deb

Offline gcbidlake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Deb,
Are you still working on Thomas Lowe?  I believe that I am a descendant and would love to share with you
George Bidlake
Fredericton, NB Canada