Author Topic: Keenan's of Workington  (Read 4881 times)

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Keenan's of Workington
« on: Thursday 23 May 13 13:00 BST (UK) »
I'm currently trying to fill in lots of gaps in the Keenan's of Workington. Felix Keenan b1836 (son of Felix b1814) served a military career with the 2 Dragoons, Scots Greys. His family first appears living in Workington in 1874 when his son Joseph was born there. Felix and his wife Hannah nee Hallinan had 13 children. All 8 boys (John b1861, Michael Thomas b1867, William Jeremiah b1868, James b1870, Felix b1872, Joseph 1874, Francis b1878, Edward b1882) went on to serve military careers. I have a copy of a letter sent by Queen Victoria's equerry in June 1900 thanking Hannah as 7 of her sons were serving at the same time. In an obituary for son William in the Cumberland Evening Mail in 1922, it states that between the sons they served 110 years in the army and were awarded 22 medals. I have some military records but lots of gaps. Does anyone know anything about this family please.
I also have 2 photos of the boys, 4 in ruby kit 3 in uniform. Unfortunately I don't know who is who. Any hep in identifying would be a great help
Many Thanks
Keenan, McKenzie, Knowles, Berry, Gregg, Hutchinson, Allan, Strickland.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Keenan's of Workington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I hope you're well.

Trying to get back to this again!  Not very efficiently!

How would you feel about posting the photo's?

There may be details which would give clues, especially if some military historians see it.

I'm sure folk would love to see them and I'm amazed what people have done with the ones I've seen.

Also, have you looked for heights on any surviving military records?  This might help narrow it down.

Are they on any team photo's in the papers?  They may be named, if they're not too early.

Just some thoughts.

Best wishes

Emms
 :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Border Viking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 January 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting as I believe that I am descended from this family, my great grandmother Margaret Potts was one of the children of Felix and Hannah Keenan. My mother has a photo of Margaret's sister Hannah, who went to Australia, standing with two of her brothers, although we don't know which ones. We have a record of Felix Keenan b.1872 as a Major in the army, living at an address in Southend on Sea. Margaret married Thomas Potts, whose daughter Winifred, was my grandmother.
Hope this is of some interest. 
Andrew.

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 January 14 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andrew, nice to hear from another Keenan descendant. I have been researching the Keenan's for around 3 years, and have a huge amount of information on them. Margaret Keenan/Potts is my first cousin 3 times removed. Her father was Felix Keenan b1836 in Ireland. Felix's older brother was John b1835 and I am directly descended from him. I would love to see the photo you have of Hannah with 2 of her brothers. I suspect they may be James & Edward who also went to Australia. I have photo's which I can compare to, I am also in contact with descendants of James who I can put you in touch with if you wish. I am in regular contact with other Keenan researchers in UK, USA, Canada, Australia and Tasmania and we all pool our knowledge to discover more about a very colourful family. (where do you live) After you have posted 3 times on this site, you are then able to send private messages. We could then swap e-mails and I could then introduce you to your extended family. My main interest now, is to accumulate as many photo's, documents, will's, gossip, or whatever to try to colour in with more detail the social history of the family. If you don't mind, could I have the names and dates to link you o my tree to Winifred Potts, also, do you know anything of her sisters Margaret & Clementina.
Regards
David

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 January 14 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone identify the men in these photo's. I believe they are Keenan brothers, sons of Felix Keenan & Hannah Hallinan from Workington. Does anyone recognise the uniforms.
Thanks

Offline Border Viking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 January 14 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, thanks for the reply. Started to do this research following a visit to Carlisle Castle museum by my parents with some items for the museum from my fathers side of the family. A chance remark by my mother regarding the Keenan brothers led to the curator finding some information for them about Major Felix Keenan. We are in North Cumbria. Will post some more info shortly. Regards, Andrew.

Offline Border Viking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 January 14 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, a little bit more information. Winifred, who died in 1977, had two children,my mother and my uncle who both still live locally. Her sisters were Margaret,Clementina(Tina),Edith and Mary. She also had a brother Tommy. Maybe you already know this. My mother is still in contact with Tina's two daughters. My mother has the info and photos and is trying to sort them out at the moment. Hopefully you will be able to pm me now and we can pass some more information on.
Regards, Andrew.

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew
Cant seem to be able to PM you this time, maybe after this one you can try to PM me.
I only have 3 children on my tree to Thomas & Margaret Potts. Margaret, Winifred & Tina. I would be grateful if you could give me the birth years of the other 3 siblings so I can add them, then link your mom aunt and you to my tree. I also live in Cumbria, my branch of the Keenan's were generally known as the Cockermouth Keenan's. I now live in Carlisle. I have been going through the family photo's I have, and thought you might like  this one, I may have more of interest to you
David

Offline charlesmkeenan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 January 17 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi David and Andrew:
Have you made any progress determining the names in the photos of the 3 men in uniform or all the names of the children of Felix; b. 1836?
David I am in contact with regularly, not sure if Andrew has joined our Keenan Researchers group.
All the best from Western NY
Chuck Keenan