Author Topic: A RootsChat database for Canal and River Boat People ("Watermen/Lightermen")  (Read 32843 times)

Offline irishlassiefr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A RootsChat database for "Watermen" (Canal and River Boat People)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, has this Watermen forum progressed? My greatgrandfather Thomas ROACH worked on the Dublin canals so would love to hear from you, thanks

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 June 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
All it needs is that people add their watermen ancestors.

I have only supplied the database structure. It's up to the users to fill it with data :)

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline irishlassiefr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 June 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks but where can I find the data base?

Offline irishlassiefr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 June 14 16:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry it's me again ;D
I think my family did not travel on the canals only worked on them.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A RootsChat database for Canal and River Boat People ("Watermen")
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 April 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
Situations vacant !

The DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups was created with the aims of
  • creating searchable lists of special interests groups
  • finding connections and (hopefully) family links between RootsChatters with similar research interests

The database "Watermen (Canal and Riverboat People)" presently has 21 entries.  In order to make it into a useful research tool, we need more entries.

This presents some employment possibilities for you !

There are three types of job being offered:
  • Entering your own "Canal and River Boat People" data : No further application is needed - just do it :)

• Transcribers : Even if you aren't researching these people yourselves, you can still transcribe data for the database. For instance, you may have found official documents for your ancestors (Census returns, etc.) and there are other Canal and River Boat People in these documents. Please add them to the database; someone else might be searching for these people.

No further application is needed - just do it :)

By the way: if you have already collected data in Word tables, Excel tables, CSV files, GEDCOM files  or XML files, I can probably convert and transfer these files directly into the database :)

• Data Coordinators ("Door to Door Salespeople"): Not every RootsChatter with "Watermen" ancestors will read this posting, so we need a few people who are prepared to browse RootsChat topics and seek out "candidates" for the database.  They will then contact the original poster and ask whether
    • the OP would like to enter their data in the database.
    • or if the coordinator should enter the data for them.

Not every Rootschatter will want their data to be entered in the database so it is important to ask first, and respect their wishes.

Please send me a PM if you wish to apply.

Bob
DBSIG Caretaker

DBSIG access:
 » Reference Library (link at bottom of every RootsChat page)
 » DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups
 » Select "Canal and Riverboats (Watermen)"

or direct » http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?dbsig_name=Watermen+%28Canal+and+River+boats%29
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A RootsChat database for Canal and River Boat People ("Watermen/Lightermen")
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 August 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
This offer is also open for Watermen and Waterwomen :)
(while stocks last !!)*

Hi All,

I have just added 90 "Travellers" to the database.  I did this by converting a Word document supplied by a RootsChatter and converting the data to database format.

Just a reminder, in case anybody else has data they would like to add to the database but doesn't fancy typing it all in :)
Special Offer:

When I was developing the Pork Butchers database, 2 RootsChatters sent me the results of their researches, one as an excel spreadsheet, and the other as a table in a WORD document. 

I then converted these to SQL (a database language) and entered them directly into the database.

If you have any lists of "Travelling People", whether ancestors or as research findings, I am happy to do the same for you.

Please let me know and I'll send you a PM how to send me the files.

Bob

*Stocks of feeling helpfull  ;D

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A RootsChat database for Canal and River Boat People ("Watermen/Lightermen")
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 November 15 19:47 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast released 3 Waterman datasets today which prompted me to enter what I hope will turn out to be my 4G-grandfather to the database

London, Watermen in Royal Navy, 1803-1809
This collection holds lists of Watermen impressed into the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic wars - several on the HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar.

London, List of Free Watermen, 1827
This "mini-census" of watermen from 1827 details 5,400 names of watermen in London.

London, Watermen, Birth Register of Contracted Men, 1865-1921
This register lists over 1,400 apprentices of the Worshipful Company of Waterman and Lighterman. You'll discover their birth or baptism date and place of birth.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE