Author Topic: Whitaker Clock face painters  (Read 2475 times)

Offline VCairns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitaker Clock face painters
« on: Thursday 23 May 13 16:37 BST (UK) »
My 4xGGFather was Henry Whitaker b. 24 Jun 1759, Halifax, Yorkshire F. Giles Whitaker M. Ann Ellis d. 24 May 1823, Halifax. 

On the marriage to his wife Elizabeth Bolton his occupation was Presser. 

On the christening records to his children William and Caroline his occupation was Painter.

A newspaper article for marriage of his daughter Ann his occupation was Enameller.

It was only on a newspaper article on his death does it mention that he was an "eminent clock face painter of Halifax"

The Halifax Trade directery 1822 have an entry under Painters House and Sign - Whitaker & Shreeve, (enamellers) Aked's road.  A Google search have attributed this Whitaker to William Whitaker who made clock face panels.  A further Google search makes no reference to Henry Whitaker in the clock professions.

I was wondering if Henry & William are the same person or if there is a close family relationship ie. brothers?  Henry did have a brotherWilliam born 17 May 1748, Halifax.

I have seen a photo of a grandfather clock with a clock face was produced by William Whitaker.  It was very beautiful and I would love to know if it may have been painted by Henry.

Offline clockresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whitaker Clock face painters
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
I have just found your message about Henry Whitaker. I am writing an article about Whitaker clock dials. William W is usually regarded as the clock dial maker but it seems that Henry was also involved.The reference to Whitaker & Shreeve in 1822 was out of date as Shreeve died tragically in 1817 when he was scalded by boiling varnish (I can give details).
I am trying to find directory entries for 1815.
Do you have any further details on Henry and William? There are plenty of images of Whitaker clock dials available.

Offline Robindad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
clockresearcher.
are you still on this forum?

We have an interest in an 1801 clcok with painted dial by Wm MEIN - Newcastle upon Tyne with a W Whitaker  Halifax false plate

Robin

Offline clockresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I do not look at this very often. If you send me details of your query to john [at] mayfieldbooks [dot] co [dot] uk I will try to help
John