Author Topic: Henry Gentle  (Read 6397 times)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Gentle
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 25 May 13 10:41 BST (UK) »
From what you have there Muss looks like Mary's maiden name was "Newman"

I don't think the Elizabeth MA Gentle was anymore than distantly related ???

I wonder why Mary's death required an inquest?

Neil ;)

I have managed to find details of Marys inquest.  It looks as though she died suddenly.  I wonder if the Police suspected foul play?

The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser (NSW 1843 - 1893)

Sudden Death - Mrs Mary Newman Gentle, an old resident of Maitland, died somewhat suddenly, late on Friday evening last, at her residence Little Bourke Street.  From the evidence of the witnesses at the inquest held at Mr Young's Caledonian Hotel, before Mr A Vindin, Coroner, on Saturday forenoon, it seemed that the deceased had suffered from bronchitis, heart disease, asthma and cancers.  She had been ailing for years, but always fought against her illness.  About three months ago she was under the care of Dr R G Alsorm.  Since then she has been in the habit of using patent medicines.  On Friday evening she took some Pain Paint and brandy.  Shortly before midnight she called to a young lady who was staying in the house to send for a neighbour, as she felt very bad.  The neighbour arrived , and had been in the house about twenty minutes when the deceased expired.  Acting on the informaton supplied by the Police, the Coroner held an inquest.  Dr S A Alsorn deposed that death resulted from heart disease.  The jury found that death resulted from natural causes.  Deceased was 72 years old, and a native of London

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 May 13 10:58 BST (UK) »
Mary Newman GENTLE wasn't Henry's wife.
She was Mary Newman SAUNDERS & married Richard GENTLE 1831 in the UK.
They arrived in 1841 on the 'William Turner' with 4 children & went on to have more children after their arrival.
This family is well documented in the Maitland area.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 May 13 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Merlin, good pick up finding that out.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 25 May 13 21:36 BST (UK) »
Good stuff Neil  :)

Possible marriage for Henry
V1854325 85/1854    GENTLE    HENRY    POWERS    MARY    IK

IK = Wesleyan Methodist Maitland, West Maitland

Thanks for that Giblet

So is the above marriage still possible?

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 May 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
Good stuff Neil  :)

Possible marriage for Henry
V1854325 85/1854    GENTLE    HENRY    POWERS    MARY    IK

IK = Wesleyan Methodist Maitland, West Maitland

Thanks for that Giblet

So is the above marriage still possible?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes the above marriage is still possible.
I found another death for a Mary that im looking into to to see if its Henry's Mary. I havent been able to find a death notice as yet but still looking.

4830/1868    GENTLE    MARY    AGE 68 YEARS    DIED MAITLAND    MAITLAND

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 May 13 00:26 BST (UK) »
From Giblet:
Yes the above marriage is still possible.
I found another death for a Mary that im looking into to to see if its Henry's Mary. I havent been able to find a death notice as yet but still looking.

4830/1868    GENTLE    MARY    AGE 68 YEARS    DIED MAITLAND    MAITLAND

It is strange that the Mary on her death in 1883 her name is shown as Mary N GENTLE
while on the birth of her first born in NSW it is Mary E GENTLE ???

Birth:  MARY GENTLE, FATHER RICHARD, MOTHER MARY E,     REF # V1843762 54/1843

Given her age as 68 on her death in 1868 she would have been 48 years old on the birth of her last child Richard in 1848.

Also there are no deaths of children to Richard and Mary N/E in NSW up to 1960???   Oops Mary Gentle b1843 married in 1877 (MEARS) and died 1879. on her death her mother is shown as Mary N not Mary E. ???
I can find only one maybe two other marriages of the couple Richard and Mary and that would appear to be of the son Richard in Port Macquarie and a Daughter Abigail? in Maitland.

So the death of the Mary Gentle in 1868 maitland would seem to be the closest, but how to prove.
It may have to be a cert. Although I doubt it would be that enlightening.

Neil

Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline luton boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
hi
 Henry Gentle is my 3 times great grandfather he married  someone called Powers in Australia
Ex  Luton Boy

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 25 November 17 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi luton boy

I'm sure many here would be interested to know more of the information you have. ;D

Perhaps you have a birth certificate of your ancestor which would give details of his mother.

Or have you any other documents to confirm the maiden name of your ancestor's mother and father?

Sue

EDIT
Just realised as I posted. ::)
Perhaps your ancestor was issue from a pre-conviction marriage. A marriage in England
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline luton boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 25 November 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Sue  His mum was Mary Rowney 1771-1845. Dad was Thomas gentle 1772-1845. He was born 1794 married letitia Bly  and had 9 children. Bad boy sent to Oz married Mary Powers 1854 died in 1864 she died in 1868.
All the stuff in Uk was in Stotfold Bedfordshire.

Brian