Author Topic: James Hilton  (Read 6245 times)

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Hilton
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 May 13 03:51 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 census the children are Michael 15, Elizabeth 15, James 14, John 10, William 5 and Ralph 3.

Remember with the 1841 British Census adults (People over 15) ages were rounded down to the nearest 5. So Michael and Elizabeth would have been older than 15 but not yet 20.

Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 May 13 04:05 BST (UK) »
In 1851 James and son William are on the census together with no other family. James is noted as a Widower.

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 26 May 13 04:20 BST (UK) »
From RedFoxes earlier post: I have left his post in black and added comments in blue

I have the following names for James & Ellen's children.

Mary Ann - born 31/1/1820 Married stayed in England
Michael - born 8/3/1822Emigrated
Elizabeth - born 31/5/1824Married stayed in England
James - born 9/12/1826 died in Maryborough VIC 1/12/1892 1914 emigrated
---------------------------------------------------------
Robert - born 10/9/1829 Robert died young before 1831. This is why another son was called Robert, and he is not on the 1841 census.
John - born 10/9/1829 died in Fitzroy VIC 1901 Born Manchester according the the 1841 censusemigrated
Robert - born 10/6/1831 Not on 1841 or 1851 Census may also have died young.
William - born 13/7/1833 in Coburg VIC died in Coburg VIC 1915 Cant have been born in Coburg Vic Aust as he is on both the 1841 and 51 census with a birth place of Manchester, England.emigrated
Ralph - born 27/12/1836 died 1842 On 1841 census born Manchester. Death date is probably correst as he is not on the 1851 census with his father and brother.

Everyone up to James was born in Manchester, that I am aware of. Unsure of the others except for William and the 2nd Ralph who were born in Victoria.

There is only one Ralph. There are 2 Roberts.

And of course all my dates could be wrong. I don't think your dates are wrong. I think James HILTON snr. came to Australia in 1857 as found by Cando. I think Mr HILTON jnr on the same ship was William.

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for my family ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 26 May 13 05:43 BST (UK) »
Slowly starting to make sense of everything now. Thank you very much people :)

Wonder what happened to James's wife Ellen (Owen)? Did she die in England or did she come over to Australia and die here somewhere?

Answer one question and another pops up :D
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 26 May 13 05:47 BST (UK) »
There is some info about a James Hilton 1826 to 1914
photo of a shop J Hilton & sons stationers, newsagents in Maryborough Victoria
Lots of details about his funeral and what he had achieved in his lifetime.
There is also a photo of him with a long white beard.
Not sure if this is of any help.
Tinam

Hi Tinam,

Been meaning to ask where you found this information and the photo, it may or may not be the same James Hilton I'm looking for but could be good to have a look at.

Thanks

:)
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 May 13 05:50 BST (UK) »
Redwolf - its on an Ancestry tree. I couldn't open the letters on my computer but I could on hubby's computer so I opened them and copied them and emailed them to myself. I will send you copies.

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 May 13 05:52 BST (UK) »
Slowly starting to make sense of everything now. Thank you very much people :)

Wonder what happened to James's wife Ellen (Owen)? Did she die in England or did she come over to Australia and die here somewhere?

Answer one question and another pops up :D

The ancestry tree has Ellen dying in Manchester in 1859 but I think she died earlier - ie. before the 1851 census. I haven't looked for her death yet though. But I am ABSOLUTLY sure she died in England before James emigrated.

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 03:32 BST (UK) »
I typed in Ellen Hilton (used her married name) along with her date of birth into a 1841 census search site and came up with this.

Ellen    Hilton    50    -    Lancashire    1791    Lancashire   View more details
Ellen    Hilton    50    -    Lancashire    1791    Y Lancashire   View more details

At this stage I can't afford to be paying money to go further, so I'm not sure if it is her or not.

Offline TrevorH14

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am the great great grandson of James Hilton Snr. I have some original letters written between family members after their emigration to Victoria. Apparently after a squabble between John Hilton and his father James Hilton Snr, James Hilton Snr travelled to Ballarat. There he committed suicide by hanging himself. He is buried in the old Ballarat Cemetry. There was a notice in the local Ballarat paper and a direct reference in the letters written home by John Hilton to living relatives in Manchester referring to the suicide.
Trevor Hilton