Author Topic: Margaret Healy  (Read 5695 times)

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Margaret Healy
« on: Saturday 25 May 13 10:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for a Margaret Healy born abt 1832 in Killaloe Co Clare, father Patrick and Mother Margaret, came to NSW Australia in 1851 but would like to find her baptism, she also called herself Elizabeth and also Isabella, any information would help please.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Healy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 May 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
You've already posted about this person in another thread where more details have been added-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,562135.msg4946508.html#msg4946508
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Aggie1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 15 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret Healy that was born in around 1830 and died in 1900 at Darling Harbour is my great great maternal grandmother. Don't know about her calling herself Elizabeth?
She married Martin Flaherty when she came to Australia, had a boy Edward.  Martin passed away and she married Patrick Minehan.  They had 6 children I think. They owned a hotel in Darling Harbour in Burns Street? called the River Shannon Hotel.  It was where the Sydney Entertainment Centre is now located.  Where are you connected in the family tree?

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 15 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message, the Margaret Healey that came out in 1850 on the "Sarah" I thought was the Healey that married David Grey off the same ship, did your Margaret come out on that ship?

Trish

Offline Aggie1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish, no she did come out on the Sarah I believe.  On her  own.  Single Illiterate Female
"Margaret Healy arrived from Ireland via Plymouth, England to Sydney on 14/8/1851 at the age of 21, Illiterate, no relations in colony, paid own fare, treatment on board - good, no complaints. The ship named Sarah departed England on 19/4/1851" is the info I have.  She apparently set about making a business of rubbish collection around the site of St Mary's Cathedral, she also paid passage for her two brothers to come out in 1854!  I am just going off records received from Cousins that have done the research.  Rob

Offline Aggie1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish, just had a squiz on the passenger list and my Margaret Healy is the only one that came out on the ship.  bdm. have David Gray marrying Isabella HELY in 1852 so I hope that helps you.
Rob

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 June 15 00:57 BST (UK) »
Yes I know all that but what my problem is that Isabella Healy on different birth and marriage certificates of her children with David Grey give her name and place of birth different each time, one has her as Irish another has her born in Spain, so I imagine her father must have been in the Army in Spain to have had her there, still cannot find who she is and when she came out here, on her death it states age 78 in 1912 and in colony abt 62yrs. Because there was only one Healy on board that ship, I thought may be David and Margaret had got to know each other on the long voyage and then married in 1852. Back to the drawing board!!!!!!!

Trish

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 June 15 01:36 BST (UK) »
Yes I know all that but what my problem is that Isabella Healy on different birth and marriage certificates of her children with David Grey give her name and place of birth different each time, one has her as Irish another has her born in Spain, so I imagine her father must have been in the Army in Spain to have had her there, still cannot find who she is and when she came out here, on her death it states age 78 in 1912 and in colony abt 62yrs. Because there was only one Healy on board that ship, I thought may be David and Margaret had got to know each other on the long voyage and then married in 1852. Back to the drawing board!!!!!!!

Trish

David Gray’s marriage 7 June 1852 likely would be a Presbyterian ceremony (noted as St Andrews Scots Church, Sydney on one of the transcriptions below)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZQ-QJ2  bride transcribed as Isabella HEBY

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCR-J4X bride transcribed as Isabella HELY

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZ6-49M bride transcribed as Isabella FLEETY

Here’s a baptism for a baby to the couple :  (pre civil registration era)
Thomas John GRAY, father as David GRAY and mother as Isabella HEATY with christening as 19 Dec 1853. 
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTDD-57W

May I suggest you check the NSW BDM birth certificate for the Richard GRAY, birth registered in the Concord district, with parents listed on the index as David and Isabella.   It is a civil registration, so it should have more information that the baptism records held by NSW BDM as part of their Early Church Records collection.   It should give you information about the older siblings of the baby who was born 31 December 1875.  The reference no. is #3723/1876.  The Official Transcription option will have all the same information as the real deal certificate, and is a cheaper option.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx 

It was not until after WWI that printed forms were used for applicants to fill in when registering births in NSW.   So, basically, depending on the accent of the informant and the accent of the clerk asking the questions, and depending also on the clerk's ability to spell, and then depending on the ability of the volunteers who prepared the index for NSW BDM in the 1930s to read the long hand entries in the Early Church Records .... well there's spelling errors ! .....  And of course, it also depends on if it were Dad or Mum registering the births.... (the informant was asked about their own origins and marriage as well as information about the newborn)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.