Author Topic: John Moore & Sarah Graham of Corranewy  (Read 8094 times)

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Moore & Sarah Graham of Corranewy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Andrew,

I have notes on several Sarah/Sarah Jane Grahams, born in/about 1847, 1865, 1870; nothing as early as your Sarah Graham would have been born.

There was a large family of Grahams at Lowart townland in Donagh parish, and another at Cormoy townland in Killeevan parish. All were Protestant.

Did Morgan135 ever respond to you? If he/she knew an ancestor as: "John Moore of Corranewy, Ireland. He was married to Sarah Graham" -- then I'd definitely concentrate on Corranewy townland, which is in Ematris parish and Cootehill Poor Law Union. Have you searched for Moores & Grahams at Corranewy & adjacent townlands in the Tithe Applotments, headstone inscriptions (as Dave advised), Griffith's Valuation, etc.?

And, since Morgan135 had found this marriage of an ancestor: "His daughter, Christina Moore married Robert Lee (son of James Lee of Kilmore West) on 12/2/1853" then you can order/view a copy of that marriage record, as well. It will have the bride and groom's FATHER's occupations, which is always helpful. And the "residence" location on that 1853 marriage record is the residence of the two parties (bride & groom), not the residence of their fathers, which many people assume is the case. With most young couples, their residence will be the same as their parents, but not if they were working/living away from home. Young men were more frequently living and working elsewhere, perhaps for a relative or neighbor in a nearby village or farm.

You're welcome to write me a personal/private message and exchange email addresses. Glad to help further, if possible.

Annie

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

Do you have a religion for John Moore and Sarah Graham ?

Tara

Offline gmoore186

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Thanks for the response and there is guidance for me in there. There is a presumption as to being protestant, my Dad at age 89 means that he effectively can tell me of the religious trend of the family from his grandfather b.1871, who in turn is grandson to a John Moore. So I follow this as fact for now.

I never received a response from Morgan135 but do agree that I concentrate on the Corranewy townland angle.

The Robert Lee/Christina Moore marriage record from Roots Ireland shows Christina living at Corranewy with Robert at Kilmore East both Ematris Parish, Co Monaghan. Fathers names are listed and both are farmers, but no mother's names though nothing unusual in that practise. They were married at St John's Kilcrow.

So Christina's father John Moore, Farmer, is hopeful.

More digging to be done plus DNA test results need to be shared with others.  I would not be surprised if eventually a connection to Moore's in Illinois, America also turns up at some future point.

Thanks for now.

Andrew Gordon Moore

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

Do you have a religion for John Moore and Sarah Graham ?

Tara

I'm 99.9% sure they were C of I Tara!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark

I was going to point them to nli but no need.

Tara

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Andrew,

You'll see that there was still a John Moore at Corranewy at the time of Griffith's Valuation, so it's likely this was the father still living on the same farm. But you mentioned that John Moore went to Scotland? You wrote: << Place of birth in a number of Scottish censuses indicates Co Monaghan for both John and son Andrew.>> Or, did you mean that Andrew's records indicated that his father was born in Co. Monaghan, not that John Moore himself went to Scotland and was counted in censuses there?

Valuation Revisions would show you who next occupied the Corranewy property after John Moore, and if a Moore was there, he might be the son of John Moore and so you'd have another name to follow up. Putting the family together as a unit is important.

A number of Church of Ireland records for that area are on microfilm at PRONI, see their church guide.

I'd suggest posting a NEW message thread about Christina Moore & Robert Lee who married 1853 (with details of their marriage & residences) and maybe their descendants will see it and respond. Morgan135 obviously had information that matches your family, and it's unfortunate that he or she isn't checking the RootsChat boards.

Annie

Offline gmoore186

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Anne,

Sorry for the confusion created in my previous message.

First Andrew b. 1833 Co Monaghan, House Painter, he appears in the Scottish Censuses years 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 which helped enormously, this is where Co Monaghan is listed for place of birth. I also have the record of his death where parents John Moore, Farmer and Sarah Moore ms Graham are noted.

I know Andrew was in Chicago, Illinois in 1855, his marriage date is noted on the birth record of a number of his children, the ones born in Scotland, including my direct ancestor, their son Andrew b.1871. Others appear to be born in Ireland, which are separate lines to follow up on to establish their places of birth in Ireland.

The only record of father John in Scotland is the 1881 census where he is residing with his son Andrew, this is where he is listed as born in Co Monaghan, they were living in Glasgow. No trace of John in any other census for Scotland as far as I can establish.

Turning to Christiana and her father John. Yes I looked at the Griffith's Valuation today and found this fact.

Then I decided to use the names and the locations on Christiana Moore and Robert Lee marriage record, checking against the Griffith's Valuation. I also plotted the locations on a map of the area.

Well the address for Robert Lee at Kilmore East, Ematris Parish is close to Corranewy across the fields, maybe a mile or so! Kilmore East in the Griffith's Valuation is occupied by a Jane Lee, with a James Lee (Robert's father has this name) just down the road in Kilmore West.

One of their witnesses is a William Lee, in the Griffith's Valuation this name appears at Annaghyduff which is across the road from Kilmore East.

I also noted that at Corranewy in the Griffith's Valuation is a Benjamin Moore.

Agree on need for a new message line.

One question, Valuation Revision, how do I view these?

Andrew