Author Topic: Michie Lineage in Clackmannanshire  (Read 14219 times)

Offline TJMichie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michie Lineage in Clackmannanshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 May 13 19:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, great grandfather is the son of Alexander 1884. He was born in 1914 in Alleghany, Potter, PA.
Looks to me like it says "Option, PA" which is an area of Pittsburgh and I found record of an Archie Suttie from Option, PA having passed in WWI. Doesn't tell me how he got from Option (ironically in Alleghany County) to Alleghany in Potter County, but that does confirm they hit Vancouver first.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 May 13 19:10 BST (UK) »
Tyson, I think from the earlier censuses we had posted in Canada (1891 and 1900), also the migration record of the family to Canada, John and Isabella and children, you have them in BC from 1890. Alexander shows in 1913 as having entered the US a couple of times prior to his marriage in 1908 (maybe how he met Martha, although haven't found her yet in the earlier censuses before her marriage). The marriage of Alexander and Martha is on record (I can give you the refs). Not sure what details were recorded on marriage certs there for these years.

You then have Alexander and Martha, following their 1908 marriage in Nanaimo, in Canada for 1911 with one daughter. With that same daughter, they crossed into the US, on their way to PA, in 1913. The year after, from what you had, your grandfather John was born in 1914.

Can't see them in the US for 1920. Nor can I see their crossing back to the Canada. Likely death for Alexander b. 1884 on Christmas Day, 1961 in Vancouver.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TJMichie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 May 13 14:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks! You're a HUGE help.
I was yesterday able to find out that the first name on the list, Isobel Janet MacLarine, should read Isabel Snadon. I also found several brothers and sisters for Alexander 1885 I never knew about. The line seems to fade out there which makes me really want to find out where they came from to Clackmannanshire.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 June 13 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi - Just spotted your msge re Michie's.
I have Alexander Michie born 1644 Clackmannan, Clackmannanshire,  married Isabel Snadon 02 Nov 1665 Alloa, children as follows all born Alloa, from my notes pretty certain got them off the old IGI  :D
James 1666, Janet 1666, Alexander 1668, James 1668, Janet 1671, Elspet 1673, Isabell 1673, Margaret 1676, Christian 1679, Janet 1681, Jean 1686.

Hope this helps  ;D

My line is through Agnes/Ann Michie 1771 Alloa, Daughter of James Michie and Charlotte Paterson.

As they say every little helps. ::)

Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline BMichie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 June 19 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi There, I just stumbled across your rather old post and wondered whether you were still actively researching the Michie's? Regards

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 June 19 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi B Michie - Cannot say am keeping up with the family, at over eighty years old usually only answer queries (if possible) is there anything in particular you wish to know ?? let me know and will do my best lol,,,,regards Par...
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline BMichie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 June 19 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,
Thanks for your response. It is some years since I researched my tree but I have just returned from Scotland where a quick visit to Alloa prompted me to dig out my family tree and look up a couple of findings. I was trying to find information on the parents of Francis Erskine Snadon (many different spellings for Snadon) born 1769.  I visite castle Forbes near Aberdeen and met with our Clan Chief. I note that his tree included Lord Erskine - Earl of Mar (Alloa). I note your lineage is from James Michie 1668. Mine is through Alexander, also 1668. (a busy year for Isabel!!) The Michie's and the Snadons appear in marriage quite a bit). I see you are in QLD. I am in Victoria, born Bridge of Allan near Alloa - many years ago. Cheers

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 June 19 08:16 BST (UK) »
There was a Michie on TV a couple of years ago who claimed that the origin was MacDonnel of Keppoch?

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 June 19 09:15 BST (UK) »
There was a Michie on TV a couple of years ago who claimed that the origin was MacDonnel of Keppoch
G F Black's Surnames of Scotland says that Michie is an Aberdeenshire name found mainly in Strathdon, Glengairn and Crathie, and that they are descended from a Michael Macdonald of the Keppoch family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.