Author Topic: Johanna (Judith) RYAN, b.abt 1868 Rossmore Tipperary  (Read 2945 times)

Offline bebe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johanna (Judith) RYAN, b.abt 1868 Rossmore Tipperary
« on: Tuesday 28 May 13 10:20 BST (UK) »
Can anyone confirm there is a Rossmore in Tipperary? Have been trying to hunt down my grandmother's (Johanna/Judith RYAN) details for about 30 years and am closing in now. A birth cert for her youngest son, John Joseph Gleeson, b. 1907 in Gwalia Western Australia gives the above as her place of birth. Or it might be Rossmine (handwriting hard to read).

She was the daughter of Patrick and Bridget RYAN (that was Bridget's maiden name, also). Patrick was the son of Matthew Ryan and Ellen O'Shaughnessy. Bridget was the daughter of Michael RYAN and was born in Roscommon, according to her death cert. Patrick and Bridget emigrated to Sydney on the 'Belgravia' in 1884 with their entire family:

Thomas, b.1860; Ellen, b. abt 1862;Mary Ann, b.abt 1863; Grace,b. abt 1865;Bridget, b. abt 1867;Johanna (aka Judith)b. abt 1868;Annie, b. abt 1870;Catherine,b. 3 Mar 1872; Sarah Agnes, b. abt 1873;Matthew, b.1875;Michael, b. abt 1876 and Margaret, b. 18 Mar 1878.

To date, I have been unsuccessful finding any family clusters including all these names/dates online and am keen to locate birth/baptismal registrations that will pin down the family.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna (Judith) RYAN, b.abt 1868 Rossmore Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 10:25 BST (UK) »
Can anyone confirm there is a Rossmore in Tipperary? Have been trying to hunt down my grandmother's (Johanna/Judith RYAN) details for about 30 years and am closing in now. A birth cert for her youngest son, John Joseph Gleeson, b. 1907 in Gwalia Western Australia gives the above as her place of birth. Or it might be Rossmine (handwriting hard to read).

two separate Tipperary townlands named Rossmore listed on the townland index, one in Clonoulty civil parish, Cashel Poor Law Union. The other in Newcastle civil parish, Clogheen Poor Law Union. See : http://www.thecore.com/seanruad

Civil registration started in 1864, so the younger children should appear in these.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 10:33 BST (UK) »
She was the daughter of Patrick and Bridget RYAN (that was Bridget's maiden name, also).
Sarah Agnes, b. abt 1873....

one possible extracted civil birth record to start the trail... but be aware that Ryan is a very common surname in Co. Tipperary, so a false match is possible.

Name: Sarah Ryan
  Birth Date: 28 May 1872
  Birthplace: Kilpatrick, Tipperary
  Parents : Patrick Ryan & Bridget Ryan
  Ref.: 562

see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5XS-2KM

Kilpatrick is probably the name of the sub-district where the birth was registered. A research cert from the GRO would give more details.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 10:45 BST (UK) »
and another possible sibling match in the same sub-district

Name : Grace Ryan
    Birth Date : 11 Jun 1864
    Birthplace : Kilpatrick district, Tipperary
    Parents : Pat Ryan & Bridgt. Ryan
    Ref.: 0531

see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRQP-KZN

Kilpatrick sub-district was part of Cashel Poor Law Union, so fits the first of the two townlands I mentioned - i.e.  Clonoulty civil parish. The sub-district also contains one of the Rossmore townlands, so definitely worth following up.
My Surname Interests

Offline bebe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shanew147...that is precisely the sort of information I need to help narrow down my choices among so many Ryans. :D

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
might be worth trying research certs for those two, and hopefully place of birth/residence will be Rossmore...

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
   Details included on a Birth Cert

p.s. you need to search the BMD Index for the full references needed to order a cert .. look for those in Cashel registration district, with names, years and page number matching the above extract references.
My Surname Interests

Offline bebe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 August 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
The recently released Catholic Parish Records confirm my Ryan family were all baptised in Rossmore....and that Johanna was baptised as 'Judith' Think I may have also found the baptism of her father, Patrick Ryan, so all in all, a good result. The resords marry in well with the passenger list showing the entire family emigrating to Australia.