Author Topic: James Bradley in Devon  (Read 7697 times)

Offline blake1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Bradley in Devon
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 17:59 BST (UK) »
 :D Hi all, It's good to be back.
I did think Joseph George could be James' father or an uncle! ...perhaps from Josephs' first marriage.  :-\  Which might show the Devon connection.
Thanks Ken
blake, kent   bradley,devon & surrey

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 21:15 BST (UK) »
As they are both called Bradley, if there is a connection it should be either his father or his father's brother, so Joseph's first marriage wont make any difference. The fact that James had his daughter baptised at the same time that Joseph had his twin daughters baptised makes me think that the relationship is a close one ie father rather than uncle. 

Joseph is pretty consistent about the fact that he comes from Lincolnshire, but I cant see him in the 1841 census. As we know from Joseph's marriage that his father was Benjamin you need to try and find them in the parish records.

If you know that James married in Australia in 1851, have you got that certificate - does that give his parents' names? What happened to James after the baptism, did he return to Australia?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline blake1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi, I have all the census records for James and Sarah and the dates of their deaths.
James went to Australia in 1849 met and married Sarah gower who had gone out in 1850 as a needle woman...had a child Eliza Agnes in oz then the three came back to U.K. where we see the child christened in Lambeth, they all stayed in the U.K.
The Australian marriage cert,. had no useful details at that time...Names & age only, no parents.
Cheers Ken
p.s. If James is the son of Joseph...the first marriage is important as the wife might be James' mother. perhaps in Devon!!! :D Thank again.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
I still cant find Joseph in 1841 - he isn't the one in Lincolnshire as that one is still there in later censuses. Have you found James in 1841?

Offline blake1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sorry...the only one I could find in the right place with a birth 1826 was the James mentioned on the first page, which we now know is wrong. Frustrating!!!
Devon record office as just sent a James George Bradley baptized 1823 Stoke damerel, parents Thomas & Dinah. But I cannot find them on 1841 census...the only definite we have is James married Sarah Gower, my G.Grandmother.
Many thanks Ken.

Offline blake1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 August 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
 :D Hi, It's been a while: I am now thinking that the Bradley family at this time could have been Non-conformists.
There are little indications...Bradley & Ford brewhouse, Grimsby. licenced for worship by Calvanists 1799!! also a Bradley signed the dissenters cert; Grainthorpe 1802 + several Bradleys as Methodist.
Benjamin Bradley Marriages : To Ann Clark at Grainthorpe 1771, Ann Dowman at Grainthorpe 1755 & Ann Locking at Raithby 1779.
Sadly Grainthorpe's not near Grimby...
also Joseph George Bradley died 26-3-1863 a Non-conformist and was living 8 Dukes St, Lambeth & buried Hackney Cemetary, near Victoria Park...now an open space.
I understand Non-conformist weddings had to be recorded in later years in a church.
and am now wondering if Joseph's first marriage was non-conformist along with James's birth.
Many thank. Ken   

Offline blake1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 August 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
 ;D Hi, I've just revisited the Merchant Seamans record. BT113 kew Records.
James Bradley Born 29-May-1826.  Tamerton Devon...at least this may give a date to pursue.
His Regestered ticket Number is 30248
Started an apprentice at sea 1840 age 19..this may be why he's not on 1841 Census.
Did they have the census on ship or in the shipyards that early on?!!
Cheers Ken.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 August 14 22:07 BST (UK) »

Offline blake1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 August 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
 ;) Hi, Thanks for that Groom.
I have an open question but didn't know where to ask.
On the England 1841 Census: The printed details tell where a person was born but on the original it only says Y or N...? ie; in or out of the area. How do they know?
Many thanks Ken.
p.s.Now I have to find Joseph George Bradleys 1st marriage between 1820-27 to ( Who, When and Where ).