Author Topic: Looking for any Carroll family who moved to Salford/Manchester ~ early 1900s  (Read 4136 times)

Offline laydeejo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I was told my grandfather's family were originally from Tipperary. I can only trace some of his siblings and his parents back to Salford in the 1911 census - but not sure when they came over or why.

This is the information I have found out to date - would love it if anybody knew any more!

My grandfather  was the youngest of 10 surviving children. His name was David Andrew Carroll (born 28th April 1923 (either Salford or Coventry area) and died 23rd May 2007 in Anglesey)

His eldest brother, Stephen (or Joseph Stephen) was born in Salford in 1905. Died in Coventry in the 1990s

Their father's name was John Joseph Carroll, born ~1881 and mother Bessie (Elizabeth?) Carroll, born ~1882.

I found two further siblings living in Salford in 1911 census - William Carroll (b ~1907) and Ellen Carroll (B 1909)

Thanks!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any Carroll family who moved to Salford/Manchester ~ early 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Free BMD has a likely marriage:

June quarter  1904  Salford  volume 8d page 230   

John Joseph Carroll and Bessie Winstanley

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline laydeejo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any Carroll family who moved to Salford/Manchester ~ early 1900s
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 21:41 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you  - that looks like a very promising start!

Best regards

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hope you find your answers.  Sandra

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 21:54 BST (UK) »
The free index on Family Search shows John Joseph as born in Manchester so perhaps his father was Irish.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XW1M-PSH

If you send for the marriage certificate - you would find out his father's name.

Free BMD is showing children named Bernard, Henry and Elizabeth born in Salford with mother's name Winstanley. Are they the right family?  (Mother's maiden name is only shown in index from 1911)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
There is a possibility in 1891 3223/ 97/ 9

70 Tatton Street Salford

Parents Stephen Carroll (b Manchester) and Ellen with several children including John J aged 9 yrs.

There are several John Carrolls but I thought that Stephen may be a significant name.

In 1901  3735/188/27 
same address
John J is with Stephen but Stephen's wife is now Sarah  :-\

Still no Tipperary 

Offline laydeejo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:15 BST (UK) »
wow! Gets curiouser and curiouser!

Do you know how I'd find out the Irish connection? I'm a total beginner at this stuff and it's mind boggling just trying to work my way back past my grandfather;-)

Thanks!
Jo

Offline laydeejo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:33 BST (UK) »
On free BMD (just come across this!) there is a marriage record for a Stephen Carroll in Salford in 1898, which could explain the Sarah!

I can also see that John Joseph was married in 1904 also in Salford which would tie in with my great uncle's birth in 1905...

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

you would first of all need to confirm that you have the right people. The ones I am posting are likely ones but as there are quite a number of people with same names, you do need to get marriage and birth certificates.

The family I think is perhaps the one seem to come from Dublin.

Your John Joseph's father is perhaps Stephen Carroll born Manchester abt 1859

1861 and 1871 has a Stephen with parents John and Mary both born Dublin and there are more children.

You would be best therefore to get certificates to ensure that these are the right people.

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/  is also a good index

heywood