Author Topic: John William Platt  (Read 6679 times)

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for my family ;)
    • View Profile
John William Platt
« on: Thursday 30 May 13 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Trying to find the birthdate and hopefully the parents of John William Platt.

Posting here as he was born in England but have no idea of where or exactly when or to who.

Here is what I have so far.

b. / /1829
m. 24/11/1850 to Mary Ann Wilde in Adelaide South Australia
d. 23/3/1866 at Roper Street Adelaide South Australia.

Apparantly came to Australia on the Trafalgar from London via Plymouth, arrived 30/5/1850.

Have not been able to find any more info on his exact birthdate and parents. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:)

Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John William Platt
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 May 13 08:07 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census has 44 John Platts, born c1829!

Afraid you're going to need some more details to pin him down?
What info does it give on his wedding and death certificates?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 May 13 08:22 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have a wedding or death certificate for him :(

My mum found these dates in different fiches and books so not actually sure how much is correct :(

Not looking good.
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 May 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
I believe that Australian marriage and death certificates contain a lot of information re family and place of birth.

Reckon you need them before you can search further?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 June 13 03:00 BST (UK) »
All except for South Australia, unfortunately.
The marriage record will/should give a father's name, but little else.
At least it will give you a start.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 June 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
OK, I have had a look at the SA marriage index 1842-1916. I am not sure where your Mum got the information, but there is no marriage of a John William Platt and Mary Ann Wilde (any spelling variations). The only marriage of a John Platt in that era is in 1850 to a Laura Dumble. Unfortunately, no parents recorded, which was fairly common in that era.
You might need to give us all the info you have on this family, dates , places, descendants, etc.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 June 13 01:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying, 4 month old baby and other stuff keeping me busy :)

Here is what I have on John William Platt and his family.

John William Platt

born 1829
married Mary Ann Wilde 24/11/1850 at Manse, Freemans St. Adelaide
died 23/3/1866 of Consumption at Roper St. Adelaide

immigrated on 30/5/1850 to Port Adelaide on the Trafalgar from London 16/12/1849 via Plymouth 26/12/1849.

His wife Mary Ann died 5/11/1911 in Ovingham (Victoria?)

His son Joseph Platt
born 5/4/1860 in Bowden, Adelaide
died  12/5/1946 in Nedlands near Perth WA.
buried Karrakatta Cemetery WA
married Alice Kath Williams in Adelaide 21/5/1883.

This is all the info I have on these 2 generations, don't know if any of it helps with finding John William Platt's exact date of birth or his parents.

Thanks

:)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 June 13 21:55 BST (UK) »
You might not be able to find his exact date of birth, given that it's before civil registration, unless it is recorded in a baptism entry. However, the more detail we have on him, the more chance we have of locating his birthplace, and his parentage. From there it should be easy enough to find a baptism (famous last words I know).
Ovingham is an inner city suburb of Adelaide.
I will investigate further.
And maybe a kind moderator will move this thread to the Australian board, for the reason I outlined above.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 June 13 09:11 BST (UK) »
I have looked again and, with a bit of creative thinking, found John William "Platts" marrying Mary Ann Wild on the date you mention.
Unfortunately, just as with the other Platt I found, there are no fathers named. As I said, this was not uncommon for the time. If you are based in or near Adelaide, you might be able to track down the relevant church records if they are still in existence. They might have more information regarding fathers' names.
Other than that, I would suggest trying shipping records. A few are available online, but the majority are held at the SA State Library in Adelaide. There are few indexes available online, so it is a slow process.