Author Topic: BOSWELL, Mary Ellen - which one?!  (Read 21571 times)

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
Re: BOSWELL, Mary Ellen - which one?!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 June 13 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Roger on the Welsh board, we have confirmed that 'Beth' is actually 'Berth' which is a property on Station Road in Llanfairfechan.  Having looked at the censuses for 1901 and 1911, Mary Ellen doesn't feature, but there is a change of owners between these times.
Attached is the picture of the Minister's name and the Registrar's name on the marriage certificate of Walter Lyon and Mary Jane Poole as requested by kathb.
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 June 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
George Lampard was a Wesleyan Minister (see 1901 Census) Alfred Heald was the Registrar for the district.
George Lampard appears in the registers of the London Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel as an officiating minister.

Have you noticed that Walter and Mary Jane Lyon had a son Enoch Poole Lyon b. 4 AUG 1901 bap 2 SEP 1901 at the London Road Wesleyan Chapel, he dies in the 2nd quarter of 1903. I have been unable to find a burial at Christ Church, Barnton, so it may be that the Barnton/Anderton Cemetery was open by then.

Did Lilian (Lily) die in 1984? I could check out the possibility of a newspaper report of the funeral etc. if you think that might help.

odessa
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 June 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, I knew about Enoch.  They also had a little girl, Emily, who was born, baptised & died in March 1904, so they took on Lilian less than a month after that.

Lilian died on 30 December 1984.  Walter died in June 1927, Mary Jane died 26 October 1937, and Probate was 2 December 1937.  As far as I'm aware Lilian had no more to do with her birth mother.  When I was shown her belongings, there was the letter from her mother (Mary Ellen), a copy of Mary Jane's will (in which she left something to all three adopted children) & Walter & Mary Jane's MC.  My dad has all of these items, together with all her photographs.  I have a copy of Lilian's DC.  I don't think a newspaper report of her funeral will shed any light because, as I said, I believe she didn't have any contact with Mary Ellen.

I'm going to look again at the Lyon/Boswell marriage to see if I can work out where they fit in.

Terri

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 June 13 17:56 BST (UK) »
Regarding the Boswell/Lyon marriage.  This is what I've discovered, which may be crucial:-

John James Boswell married Mary Catherine Lyon in Jan/Feb/Mar 1918 in West Derby, Lancashire.

John Boswell is seen on 1911 census living at 188 Queen's Road, Gorton, Manchester with his family, aged 26, occupation baker.  One of his sisters is called Mary E Boswell,, aged 32, single, occupation dressmaker.  Both were born in Manchester.  This Mary Boswell is our #2 suspect, as listed in my first posting, but at that point I hadn't discovered the Boswell/Lyon marriage.

I am unable to find Parish Registers for any of the events above.  I've discovered that John married Mary C Murphy in Oct/Nov/Dec 1914 in Chorlton, but I cannot find a death for her.

What might be useful would be to try and connect John James Lyon to Walter Lyon, so that is the focus of my search at the moment.

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, Terri, I think you must send for the marriage certificates of both John Boswells to establish
1.  Are they both the same John Boswell
2.  The parents of both parties at the marriage.
3.  If there are any witnesses that may show a link.
Please let us all know how if you solve the problem, we all like to know the outcome in these mysteries.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 June 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathb

I think you're right.  I'll let you know the outcome

Regards.

Terri

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 June 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, Terri, please do.  It has kept quite a few of us intrigued.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 June 13 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again Rootschatters!

I am now in possession of the two marriage certificates for John James Boswell. 

Marriage #1: 1914 at Church of St Francis, Gorton, Chorlton, Manchester.
When married: 31 Oct  Groom: John James Boswell  Age: 30 yrs  Bachelor, Baker & Confectioner (Journeyman)  Residence: 26 Princess St, Swinton  Father: John Boswell  Father's job: Iron turner
Bride: Mary Catherine Murphy  Age: 25 yrs  Spinster  Residence: 13 Lever St, Gorton  Father: Peter Murphy  Father's job: Labourer
Married in the Church of St Francis ........ Roman Catholic by Certificate by Cyril Connor
in the presence of Joseph Smith & Alice Murphy            ???? Ramsbottom  Registrar

Marriage #2: 1918 at the Register Office in West Derby, Liverpool.
When married: 20 March  Groom: John James Boswell  Age 17 yrs  Bachelor, Carter  Residence: 14 Sandor Street, Waterloo  Father: Edward Boswell (deceased)  Father's job: Cabinet Maker
Bride: Mary Lyon  Age 24 yrs  Spinster  Residence: 6 Mill Grove, Litherland  Father: Peter Lyon  Father's job: Gardener
Married in the Register Office by Licence before me John E Wallace, Registrar/Harris P Cleaver Sup.Reg
in the presence of Alice Lyon & H Johnson

I've checked all addresses given with the 1911 census, and come up with nothing.

I have created a couple of trees on Ancestry to try and make a connection with my Lyons or Boswells, and have, as yet, come up with nothing.  Should anybody want to look at these trees, perhaps you could PM me with your e-mail address or Ancestry name, and I'll invite you.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 07:33 BST (UK) »
Litherland address for Mary - Great Crosby registration area
www.lancashirebmd.org.uk    1893   Lyon Mary      Mothers maiden name   - ROTHWELL

1890  same site PETER Lyon to Margaret Rothwell  West Derby register office or registrar attended

so fathers name Peter fits as named on marriage cert for Mary - this looks a likely for your Mary Lyon
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford