Author Topic: BOSWELL, Mary Ellen - which one?!  (Read 21408 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOSWELL, Mary Ellen - which one?!
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 07:46 BST (UK) »
1881 census has a Margaret Rothwell aged 19 born Litherland as a cook in Hope Street Liverpool - this would make her 27/28 at marriage ??...maybe a possible ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 27 June 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks garstonite for your input.  I'd got the mother's details, and used those and other details I've discovered to create a couple of family trees on Ancestry (Boswell-Murphy & Lyon-Boswell) to try and make a link. 

Below is the reason for ordering the 2 marriage certificates.

Regarding the Boswell/Lyon marriage.  This is what I've discovered, which may be crucial:-

John James Boswell married Mary Catherine Lyon in Jan/Feb/Mar 1918 in West Derby, Lancashire.

John Boswell is seen on 1911 census living at 188 Queen's Road, Gorton, Manchester with his family, aged 26, occupation baker.  One of his sisters is called Mary E Boswell,, aged 32, single, occupation dressmaker.  Both were born in Manchester.  This Mary Boswell is our #2 suspect, as listed in my first posting, but at that point I hadn't discovered the Boswell/Lyon marriage.

What might be useful would be to try and connect John James Lyon to Walter Lyon, so that is the focus of my search at the moment.

Also on Ancestry I have created quite an extensive "Lyon" tree, but am still unable to make a link at the stage between this Lyon family (who adopted my Auntie Lily) and one of the Boswell families.
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 27 June 13 10:30 BST (UK) »
Terri,

Going back to the letter that you attached to your first posting. It was signed "your grateful friend" E.Boswell.

I think if there had been a family connection the letter would have perhaps concluded far less formally, at least with the use of her first name.

I couldn't discover a baptism for Lily - had Lily been taken for baptism by her natural mother do you know?

odessa
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 08 November 14 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello again!  I've decided to have another go at this one.

I haven't got much further I'm afraid - my Boswell tree still consists of Lilian (Lily) Boswell and her mysterious mother, Mary Ellen Boswell.

I apologise in advance for the length of this post, but I've collected quite a lot of info today (thanks Find My Past!).

Mary Ellen #3 (b. 20 June 1881, Liverpool) was the one that we didn't have much info on but, by looking at other members of the family, I've made a link to Wales.  (You'll need to read my first post on this topic).

The only Census I've found Mary Ellen Boswell on is the 1891.  Here she is living with her paternal grandmother, Sarah Boswell, who is a widow, at Finch Place, Liverpool.  Also living at Finch Place in another property are her parents, John Boswell & Mary Ann (Boyd) with their 3 other daughters, Louisa (b.1883), Elizabeth (b.Dec 1888) and Clara P (b. & d. 1891), all born in Liverpool.  John is a publisher, born 1854 in Liverpool, as was Mary Ann.

I looked for Sarah (the grandmother) in 1881, and I find her at Blandford Street, Liverpool living with her husband, Henry, and 2 grandchildren - William Boswell (b.1876) & Sarah A Boswell (b.1878), both in Liverpool.

In 1871 Sarah & Henry (the grandparents) are living at St Andrew Street Court, Liverpool with their 2 children - John (b.1854) & Richard (b.1840), & Mary Boswell (Henry's mother) b.1795, all in county.

Back to Mary Ellen's parents - the only other census I can find them on is the 1901 at 48 Travers Street, Liverpool.  John is a slaterer, and they've only got one child at home, Louise (sic).

On the 1881 Census, William Boswell (one of the grandchildren listed as living with Sarah & Henry) is also with his parents Thomas & Elizabeth at 19 Moville Street, Toxteth Park.  (In this one he's William J).  Also there is another son, Thomas (b.1880 in Liverpool).

I know this is lengthy, but I'm getting to the Welsh connection now.......

In 1901 I found William living with his wife, Mary Eleanor (nee Jones) b.1874, Mold.  William is a Plumber, and they have a son, William C (b.1900, Liverpool).  They are living at 30 Brenton Street, Toxteth Park.  I also found them on the 1911 living at 7 Admiral Street, Liverpool.  They've been married for 14 years with just one child.  Mary Eleanor says she was born in "Denbigh Pentre".

Mary Eleanor's parents were Edward Jones (b.1844 Ruthin) & Ann (b.1853 Llanfair).  Ruthin is about 40 miles from Llanfairfechan - not sure if this is close enough to be significant, but I think it might be worth considering.

The only problem with Mary Ellen #3 is that she did get married - twice (see reply #8).  So, if she did give birth to Lilian in 1904 (just before her 1st husband dies in 1905), why did she register the birth with her maiden name?

Anyway, I hope I haven't bored/confused you too much.  I still think there is either a family link with the adoptive parents (Walter & Mary Jane Lyon, nee Poole) or through the Weslyan church where they were married.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.  Thank you for reading this.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 09 November 14 07:37 GMT (UK) »
quote.
Mary Eleanor's parents were Edward Jones (b.1844 Ruthin) & Ann (b.1853 Llanfair).  Ruthin is about 40 miles from Llanfairfechan - not sure if this is close enough to be significant, but I think it might be worth considering.

have you considered that Llanfair might be Llanfair Dyffryn ( Clwyd) which is only 2 miles from Ruthin?
http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#fromNode=0%7CRuthin%7C%7C-3.310874%7C53.114725%7CtoNode=0%7CLlanfair%20Dyffryn%20Clwyd%7C%7C-3.294300%7C53.089000
 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 09 November 14 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks garstonite, I hadn't spotted that.  This still means though that the connection is 40 miles away in Llanfairfechan where Mary Ellen was living just after the birth of her daughter in 1904.  I found out subsequently that "Beth" was probably "Berth", a house in Llanfairfechan, but the 1901 & 1911 did not give any clues.

I forgot to say in my last post that, in answer to Odessa's question, I haven't yet found a baptism for Lily.  I've also failed to find baptisms for Richard Plumb & Doris Stokes (my grandmother), her adopted siblings, in all the name combinations I can think of.

I also mentioned that I could only find Mary Ellen #3 (b.1881) on one Census - she does appear on the 1901 with her first husband, George Henry Ball, and in 1911 with John Webley, her second husband, along with her 2 sons.  I've also found a death for Mary Ellen (Webley) in 1975 in Bootle.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 24 January 15 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if this has been covered already,but I notice that you have titled the letter "Elizabeth Boswell".Could it not be that "Beth,Llanfairfechan" is not an address,but a diminutive form of the name i.e.to or from? (Eliza)Beth or (Lily)Beth in Llanfairfechan.

Regards
Roger

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 24 January 15 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Roger.  I too thought that "Beth" was a name, but when I received her daughter's BC, it gave the mother's name as Mary Ellen.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 29 January 15 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if this will help or hinder your search, but please make of it what you can.

There is a Mary Boswell (parents Samuel and Mary) who was born in Blacon, Chester around 1881/3. The 1891 census has her with parents and 5 siblings age 8 (Ancestry transcribed the surname as Roswell). By 1901 (shown as born Laughall - should be Saughall - shown as age 20 she is a domestic servant to a family named Henshaw in Chester.

It potentially seemed it could be of interest because this lady looks likely to have married an Edward Thomas Griffiths in 1906 at Holywell, Flintshire ( which is just along the coast from Llanfairfechan).

By 1911 Edward Tomas Griffiths and Mary are in Birkenhead with a son born around 1908. The two addresses Livingstone Street (or Road?) and the 1911 address where Edward and Mary were living seems to be under a mile from each other. It may of course just be a complete co-incidence but...... 

I just wondered if this might be worth exploring further.

Alan