Author Topic: Charles Jones  (Read 15970 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Jones
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 June 13 01:41 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCR-BY2
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTZV-BXW

It is NOT likely that the profession/rank of either the bride or the groom would be recorded on the parish register in 1846.   BUT their status would be recorded….. Bachelor/Widow or Spinster/Widow.   If either were still legally “infant” ie not yet 21 years of age, and thus NOT yet legally able to give themselves consent to enter into any contract ….. then the clergy would record the name and relationship of the person/s giving consent. (not just the bride, but the groom …. Whichever one was not yet 21 needed consent ….. provided of course that they actually knew they were not yet 21 years of age ….. Please remember that not everyone actually knew they own date of birth, as the significant first event in their life was their baptism…..

I have had a quick look at a scanned copy of a document about 4 ft long and about 8 inches high.   It is the bride’s certificate issued.   (C of E Marriage in the Hawkesbury district, dated 1840s)  …. The occupation is NOT noted for either.   Bride was a spinster, “of this parish” and Groom was a Bachelor “of Redfern”.   The age of the groom is noted as 25 and is immediately to the left of his signature.  The age of the bride is noted as 23 and it too is to the left of her signature.     

I think you will find that the marriage for Charles JONES was NOT celebrated at St Phillips, but that the Clergy conducting the ceremony TRANSMITTED the record to St Phillips C of E….    (St Phillips being where the Principal of the NSW Chaplains were usually posted)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 June 13 02:05 BST (UK) »
This might have nothing to do with our Mr CR Jones but this from the Orpan school books. May lead to somewhere ???

40. Name: Charles Jones
When admitted: 1 Jany 1819
Time of quitting the school: 19 July 1828
Parents’ names: Mary Jones
Residence: Macquarie St ParramattaRemarks: to Mr Booth parramatta

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 June 13 02:13 BST (UK) »
Mary Day (writing from Parramatta) applied for a nearly 17 year old, her son, Charles JONES to be released from Orphan School in Dec 1826  ;D

"he has been employed in the capacity of a tailor and it is now my intention to apprentice him...."

Cheers,  JM

NSW SRO currently has a partnership with Ancestry re various records, including
New South Wales, Australia, Applications and Admissions to Orphan Schools, 1817-1833

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 01 June 13 02:18 BST (UK) »
I thought it was 1826, but the Orphan school record say's 1828 and I imagine it was after his apprenticship was completed and he had paid his time.

It also states that he (Charles) went to Mr Booth at Parramatta not to Mary ::)

Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 June 13 02:22 BST (UK) »
No Neil,  there's quite a number of entries on the NSW SRO index.... The one I have mentioned is separate from your sighting...

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 June 13 02:23 BST (UK) »
Mary DAY had two children in the Male Orphanage

"DAY, Mary  1822 Nov 22  Petition to have her two boys removed from Male Orphan Institution rejected ...."As per Col Sec Index 1788 -1825

http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/default.htm

So if this is the 'right' family, then perhaps Charles had a brother (either surnamed JONES or DAY) ....

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 01 June 13 02:39 BST (UK) »
He had a brother John Jones went in same time but was released earlier?

Neil ::)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 01 June 13 02:43 BST (UK) »

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 01 June 13 04:22 BST (UK) »
Wow Neil, cool link, I like the page turning thingo, sound effects and all!  ;D

The children's baptisms should provide an occupation.  The second last column in the register is "Quality or Profession".  I am already curious enough to know why those baptisms and many others from the time period are missing from the online indexes, so I might try to find time next week to have a wrestle with the microfilm and see what is going on.

His occupation should also be on his daughter's marriage cert, though sometimes it isn't if they are deceased.

Debra  :)