Author Topic: Cardross Childrens home Dunbarton  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Highland one

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cardross Childrens home Dunbarton
« on: Friday 31 May 13 16:47 BST (UK) »

Does anyone remember Cardross Park home ? it was a Childrens home a came from in 1961

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline kanata

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cardross Childrens home Dunbarton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 June 13 14:36 BST (UK) »
In the 1940`s Cardross Park Home, was a convalescent home for sick children, my late brother was sent there for two weeks after spending time in Yorkhill Hospital in Glasgow

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline louisek284

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Cardross Park childrens home was where I was abandoned for a few years in the early 1970's. I remember a big sandstone building with a long driveway? Is that right? What is the building now? I'd like to take a look. Any pics of it anyone?

Offline louisek284

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 01:13 GMT (UK) »
In the 1940`s Cardross Park Home, was a convalescent home for sick children, my late brother was sent there for two weeks after spending time in Yorkhill Hospital in Glasgow

I was there for a while in the early 70's as a very young child. Cardross Park Childrens home is the name from my past memory's.  I have a vague memory of a large sandstone  building with a very long drive up to it...? Is the building there now?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

See you have found the other forum with further info here www.topix.com/forum/uk/argyll-and-bute/TV29TK1LVP25JRPRT which provides another name for it, the Bloomhill Children's Home.

From that thread and the mention of a recent property sale you have www.scotlandshomes.co.uk/flats/for-sale/dumbarton-west-dunbartonshire/g82/3023

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 December 15 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There were two children's homes in Cardross.  Cardross Park was for babies and very young children and Bloomhill cared for school-age children.  Cardross Park as mentioned has been converted into flats and Bloomhill became a care home for the elderly.  isk

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 December 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Cardross Park childrens home was where I was abandoned for a few years in the early 1970's. I remember a big sandstone building with a long driveway? Is that right? What is the building now? I'd like to take a look. Any pics of it anyone?

If you ever by chance visit Helensburgh there is a book in the Library with lot's of photo's of some of the staff at Cardross Park Home
Rosie

Offline Highland one

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
This is how i came to be in Cardross park home in May 1961.  My Father  was Andrew Gordon Douglas . I was the baby the youngest of 6 , myself my sister & brother all under 5 went to Cardross park home  & my 3 elder brothers went to Bloomhill

I found this in The Glasgow Herald archives ...